Community Priorities for 2018

Clericon

Re: Community Priorities for 2018

Postby Clericon » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:50 pm

I would LOVE to see the SoH exp bar with multiple sub levels such as CoHs' 10 bars to level up. Personally, i felt that to be very satisfying and rewarding! A real sense of progression that i have missed deeply since CoH :'(

Also, DON'T forget to add insanely over-dramatic level up explosions with Sound effects that make your dreams come true <3

EDIT:

And what about the Badge system? Accolades and such, what is the teams perspective on this?

Having a similar NPC interaction to CoH would be great, clicking the text to progress in mission/information instead of the common button mashing one key that i see most MMO's use today. In my experience, it grasped my attention even further, reading maybe only one or two phrases as i am trying to skip the 'text' actually gave me a decent understanding of the story behind where i am going. It may not seem like much but i often had skimmed a couple words at a time that built up in the back of my mind, that eventually intrigued me to go back and really get to know the story. This is something we don't get to experience so much by brainlessly spamming 1 key, most of the time not even paying any attention as the windows will open and close so quickly.
Last edited by Clericon on Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vanishingpointe

Postby Vanishingpointe » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:55 pm

All the things on my short list have been met and exceeded by the team. You know and listen to the community beautifully. At the moment, I can only think of three things left on my person wishlist.

1) Power enhancement/tweaking
I'm a little unclear on where the team is at on this. I'm curious if they're sticking with enhancements as the default system, or if there will be power perumutations, or something entirely different. A combo of both would be an interesting take.

2) Bases/Lairs
Yes and please. I love building and was the official architect for my supergroup and two related SGs. I like the idea of lairs as personal storage and a natural extension of the personality aspect of the game that builds on the costume creator. SG bases are great to show off the group, but I'd love to see some system that pays off investment into them. CoX had raids, which were super cool, but I don't feel like I would die if they were not in SoH. I'd like to see items that grant some sort of bonus to the group or during certain mission types. Like a crystal ball in an arcane nexus room would give you a divining buff, letting you know a vague or exact number of baddies on a mission, and so on. A theming bonus for cohesion (lots of tech furniture and items or arcane, etc.) would go far in giving bases both a cosmetic and pratical function. I feel like the idea of bases was criminally underdeveloped in CoX

3) Mission tasks
I'd love to get some input into what mission objectives and structure will look like. CoX had some good foundational ideas, but not a great diversity in missions. Find the clickies, kill X baddie, clear map are all great, but there is so much potential for more diverse and more interesting mission types in the superhero genre. Even non-necessary side objectives in missions would be great. Fight the big bad at his full power or destroy the reactors that enhance his power and fight him in a depowered state, and so on. Complex objectives that introduce diversity and choice into missions are great.

Blaze Rocker

Postby Blaze Rocker » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:44 pm

Vanishingpointe

3) Mission tasks
I'd love to get some input into what mission objectives and structure will look like. CoX had some good foundational ideas, but not a great diversity in missions. Find the clickies, kill X baddie, clear map are all great, but there is so much potential for more diverse and more interesting mission types in the superhero genre. Even non-necessary side objectives in missions would be great. Fight the big bad at his full power or destroy the reactors that enhance his power and fight him in a depowered state, and so on. Complex objectives that introduce diversity and choice into missions are great.
I must agree here. Since the final few years of CoH's life I was really wanting some mission "task" diversity. Where were the locked doors that we had to unlock only by some special computer access or mission objective rather than beating them down with brute force? And what about special clues we could find during a mission, clues we didn't know were clues because they didn't glow or make a "woowoowoo" sound but things we actually stumbled upon and analyzed for ourselves? What about those things that could take us on a different path than where we might find ourselves going had we missed them?

Opportunities for better gameplay do exist and we now have the chance to take them and further expand upon what CoH started. :mrgreen:
How many people telling the same lie does it take for that lie to become true?

BlazingCoconut

Postby BlazingCoconut » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:06 pm

Well, I'll say hello from a new donor, Happy New Year, and I have been watching this with interest. I didn't want to say what I wanted until I put my money where my mouth was. So with that...

(1) Bases
Bases are really wonderful if they serve as a central place for SGs to congregate. While I like active community areas, ultimately, the people I'm going to be playing with and RPing with are people in my SG. Giving us a space to use and customize goes a VERY long way towards allowing that to happen. It also gives groups a long term goal to work towards and maintain. Making parts of them publicly accessible would be awesome as well, both to show off your area and to enhance the community.

(2) Randomized External Threats
The one thing that bugged me about CoX, CO and others was that there were ever present thugs just sitting around. It didn't matter what you did, they were just standing there. It bugged me on two fronts, basically heroes were going and smashing people who usually were doing nothing more than loitering and also there was no way for a group to "patrol" an area to make it nicer. While this might be a longer term goal, it would be incredible if outside mobs, did crime. Arson, Muggings, Robbery, etc. If you were nearby, you get an alert that something is happening and can go stop it. Secondly, it would be nice if people could keep an area of the city clean for a time. Let my SG patrol for a couple hours or days or whatever and be rewarded with seeing less crime and upgraded visuals on the neighborhood. It can be sort of a territory control mini game. SGs could get bonuses and resources for keeping the streets safe in an area.

(3) Bios
Please make sure there is a place for a very customizable (Rich Text?) bio section. I LOVED reading people's bios in any game that allowed it. It's a small feature, but one that is very cool for people to read about your hero and their background.

Thanks for posting the videos and I can't wait to see what 2018 brings.

Blaze Rocker

Postby Blaze Rocker » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:38 am

pahurricane
Multiple gun options with maybe an option to swap between guns based on the power being used.
I'm not sure what the devs have planned but I think I could put together something like that within about two weeks. I'd have to hammer out all the details and mechanics but I think I can create what you're talking about.

Just for the record, you are talking about futuristic versions of an assault rifle and pistols aren't you?
How many people telling the same lie does it take for that lie to become true?

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:49 am

The game will release with an Assault Rifle type set for Devastators, And I would imagine that given the setting there will be weapon/ tech sets for all ATs. That said, no idea if they will have a hand to hand/ weapon combo set.
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:17 am

This thread has a lot of good ideas. I'm not going to respond to them all, just yet, but a couple of notes.

We'll be discussing mission types with the community later this year. But in general, diversity of mission types is good, as is giving players the chance to avoid some mission types that they feel aren't are as much fun as others.

Character bios are included already. You can prepare a bio in advance and then cut and paste it into your character during the creation process, or you can just design a character and then sit down and create the bio, after you see what you created.

Bases are planned, but we are not committing to them as a launch item (sorry). We will get them done, but maybe it will not be in the Beta launch.

Randomizing stuff. We really like randomizing things in missions and in the the streets. This is a highly-requested feature, and it has informed our thinking about repeatable missions. We have concluded that players should be able to choose (or avoid) extra variability in how a repeatable mission unfolds. We have grand plans for this. We'll talk about this more once we have it coded and working.

There will definitely be a variety of rifles, pistols, shotgun equivalents, etc. Each will have trade-offs for the player to make.

Power augmentation. Just to review, we're building a system in which players will choose which powers each character takes from their powersets (and there will be pool powers as well), and also how many augmentation slots to apply to each power. And then which augments to place in each slot. There will also be a limited number of global slots. Consequently, each character can be truly unique, and can also be "fitted" to your playstyle. Many of us have multiple playstyles. We play a tank one way, a healer a different way, etc. But we might also have a soloing tank with high burst damage, and a teaming tank with high resistance and defense, and a raid tank, or something like that.

We love badges and accolades.

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:42 am

Character bios are included already. You can prepare a bio in advance and then cut and paste it into your character during the creation process, or you can just design a character and then sit down and create the bio, after you see what you created.
Awesome!
Bases are planned, but we are not committing to them as a launch item (sorry). We will get them done, but maybe it will not be in the Beta launch.
Not so Awesome. :( but I understand, and can wait for them. still going to push for personal lairs though.
Power augmentation. Just to review, we're building a system in which players will choose which powers each character takes from their powersets (and there will be pool powers as well), and also how many augmentation slots to apply to each power. And then which augments to place in each slot. There will also be a limited number of global slots. Consequently, each character can be truly unique, and can also be "fitted" to your playstyle. Many of us have multiple playstyles. We play a tank one way, a healer a different way, etc. But we might also have a soloing tank with high burst damage, and a teaming tank with high resistance and defense, and a raid tank, or something like that.
this sounds interesting. my tanking style was always to make Ace the toughest Tank possible, I didn't care about damage (I was Ice secondary) for years my best single target attack was Air Superiority :/ it might take me an hour to take down that boss or AV but I could do it.
We love badges and accolades.
I'm confused now. you say that like there are people who don't love badges and accolades. how is that possible?
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

All Ship of Heroes Videos

IN BLACKEST DAY, IN BRIGHTEST NIGHT,
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE.
LET THOSE WHO POST THEIR SPAM-ISH SLIGHT
FACE THE POWER OF ACE'S MIGHT!

Blue Yankee

Postby Blue Yankee » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:06 pm

Where on the priorities list is mission architect?

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:46 pm

High, but probably not at launch. One or two major patches after release is most likely.
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

Blue Yankee

Postby Blue Yankee » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:17 pm

I think it would help if mission architect badges were only awarded for completing other people's missions.
High, but probably not at launch. One or two major patches after release is most likely.

broxen

Postby broxen » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:02 pm

Randomizing stuff. We really like randomizing things in missions and in the the streets. This is a highly-requested feature, and it has informed our thinking about repeatable missions. We have concluded that players should be able to choose (or avoid) extra variability in how a repeatable mission unfolds. We have grand plans for this. We'll talk about this more once we have it coded and working.
It's been a while since I've posted, but thank you for this entire post Consultant and in particular, I'm excited about this quoted section.

Can't wait for more info!
-Broxen

Turtlesandwich

Postby Turtlesandwich » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:30 pm

I'm confused now. you say that like there are people who don't love badges and accolades. how is that possible?
I liked badges but never sort them out as i never seemed to have enough time. Time was managed by the wife.

ep_dorris

Postby ep_dorris » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:59 pm

You guys have done awesome so far, and I am one of those who had given up on the "other two" because of lack of communication and snail progress. SO when I accidentally stumbled on Ship of Heroes I was instantly blown away and became hopeful again.

My main thing would be avoiding grind. Please keep any "farming" type repetitive missions distinct from the main story line, and optional if possible. It's one of my peeves about most MMO games, and one thing that COH didn't have early on.

I love playing through missions with a story. Not so much the 50th time to get an achievement.

ep_dorris

Postby ep_dorris » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:28 pm

Oh, voice chat. Definitely voice chat. Nothing so distracting in combat as having to type something to a teammate.

Return to “General Discussion”