A Few Questions

Truvidien

A Few Questions

Postby Truvidien » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:53 pm

Hi!

Just have a few questions that I would like to ask if I may.

1) Will SoH have destructible environment? Such as like picking up and throwing cars/running through walls etc?

2) Since we have no factions in a way.. Will PvP be through battleground's only?

3) Can we make a fox like character? (This is how I can get my girlfriend to play. She LOVES foxes)

Thank you!

Consultant

Re: A Few Questions

Postby Consultant » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:03 am

Right now we are not coding a destructible environment. PVP will be in identified areas of the maps. As for fox like characters, we had not considered it but we'll have to see if we can do it. No promises for at launch but we can look at it.

Major Victory

Postby Major Victory » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:38 pm

Can you please put Stretching as a power set on your list of future power sets? Please? No other hero game that I know of ever made that power available and I think it would be a great power set to use. :ugeek:

Silverphish

Postby Silverphish » Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:14 am

As for fox like characters, we had not considered it but we'll have to see if we can do it. No promises for at launch but we can look at it.
Animal characters, if done well, can be a big draw these days, so I'm seconding this. I'm picturing some generic types that could be morphed into more specific variants, such as canine, feline, a ruminant, a rodent, and maybe a lizard set. It's basically head and legs with arms and torso remaining standard. Not a launch priority, but they could nicely be integrated as expansions come out.

For example, in expansion "Sirius Falls", heroes might find themselves at a canine planet where the overarching theme is saving what can be saved before their world reaches it's natural (or unnatural? :o ) death by supernova of the home star. You would expect to see a lot of canines walking around after a release like that.

Wing Leader

Postby Wing Leader » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:19 pm

In order to release a game in less than ten years, the emphasis will obviously be on biped characters. Those are the easiest to rig and attach animation to. Animals and aliens are another matter, unless they are incredibly simple like CoH's Kheldians/Warshades. This is a by-product of having purpose-built animation rigs for all the PCs and NPCs/Creatures in the game.

Another approach could have been animation rigs that are more procedural in nature. Such a system was utilized for the game Spore. All movement, including ambulation, was "figured out" algorithmically based on the skeletal structure of any given creature, which did not have to be even remotely humanoid (and rarely was). But such a system is incredibly complex and, sadly, doesn't seem to have had much influence on the rest of the gaming industry.

A1fighter

Postby A1fighter » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:06 am

Wait, so this game will only allow humans?

Will there at least be a variety of animal pets for pet classes? Not just a few of the usually suspects, a bear here, wolf, and cat.

vladko92

Postby vladko92 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:42 am

Stretching aka Mr. Fantastic Power, was done in Marvel Ultimate Alliance series, as well and in all Marvel related games, where Reed is part of the rooster.

Somehow I dislike the idea for furs, but its not up to me.

I like the idea of different races, but something among the lines of - Elves, Androids, Cyborgs and other human looking appearance.

Wing Leader

Postby Wing Leader » Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:58 pm

Will there at least be a variety of animal pets for pet classes? Not just a few of the usually suspects, a bear here, wolf, and cat.
Non-biped pets are not usually that much of a problem since their animation sets tend to be pretty limited. But when you ask for animals and non-humanoid aliens to become player races, it's a different matter. Now the devs have to worry about how costume pieces will work, and how all the powerset combat animations will work, given a non-bipedal rig skeleton.

It's a huge effort unless the entire animation system is procedural, like it was for Spore. When it's purely procedural, all the animation is done by (really complex bio-kinematic) math rather than by your typical pre-canned strings of joint rotations. There's a lot of science behind it, but all that work has already been done. It would be interesting for an MMORPG to leverage off all the work done for Spore.

Capzlock

Postby Capzlock » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:17 pm

In order to release a game in less than ten years, the emphasis will obviously be on biped characters.
I think he was talking about bipod 'anthropomorphic' characters. And I agree with him, it would probably bring in a lot of a certain type of player. I don't mind that though. They're very friendly.

A1fighter

Postby A1fighter » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:44 pm

Non-biped pets are not usually that much of a problem since their animation sets tend to be pretty limited. But when you ask for animals and non-humanoid aliens to become player races, it's a different matter. Now the devs have to worry about how costume pieces will work, and how all the powerset combat animations will work, given a non-bipedal rig skeleton.

It's a huge effort unless the entire animation system is procedural, like it was for Spore. When it's purely procedural, all the animation is done by (really complex bio-kinematic) math rather than by your typical pre-canned strings of joint rotations. There's a lot of science behind it, but all that work has already been done. It would be interesting for an MMORPG to leverage off all the work done for Spore.
Ok cool, could care less for non-human forms, so long as we at least have a variety of pets to choose from. I would like to see creatures in some form of another, does not have to be the hero, actually i would prefer if it was not the hero.

Wing Leader

Postby Wing Leader » Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:01 pm

All we really know so far is that the pet class will be called a Commander (instead of the rather villainous sounding "Mastermind" from CoV). Exactly what sorts of pets will be available remains to be seen, but pretty much anything we've seen in games like CoX or WoW should certainly be possible.

I only bring up the issue of non-human player races because folks inevitably ask for a powerset that allows them to transform into various (if not arbitrary) non-human forms (a character like Beastboy or Martian Manhunter immediately comes to mind). They often mistakenly think/assume that the work required is the same as for implementing non-human pets, and I figured it was worth dispelling that notion.

Blaze Rocker

Postby Blaze Rocker » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:34 pm

Stretching aka Mr. Fantastic Power, was done in Marvel Ultimate Alliance series, as well and in all Marvel related games, where Reed is part of the rooster.
Stretching was a requested power set on that farce of a game project 'Heroes and Villains'. It is currently on my "To Do" list of desired sets. Since stretching is a bit of a generic term and can include all parts of the body, I am currently calling my set 'Hyperflexive Limbs' to focus on arms and legs. If any of you have a better name for such a set other than 'Stretching' or 'Hyperflexive Limbs' I would love to hear your ideas.
When you defund the police, the terrorists win.

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:27 pm

I will mention that Consultant said there will not be a stretchy powerset unless the UE4 engine changes to accommodate them. Right now it would be far, far more work than it would be worth to an indy project with a team of 16.

Will the Unreal Engine be upgraded to do these things? Anything can happen... and if the past is any indicator, it is possible. But, I would not count on it. Epic will only upgrade the engine for such things if there is a really strong demand for it.
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

Blaze Rocker

Postby Blaze Rocker » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:20 pm

I will mention that Consultant said there will not be a stretchy powerset unless the UE4 engine changes to accommodate them. Right now it would be far, far more work than it would be worth to an indy project with a team of 16.

Will the Unreal Engine be upgraded to do these things? Anything can happen... and if the past is any indicator, it is possible. But, I would not count on it. Epic will only upgrade the engine for such things if there is a really strong demand for it.
Ah, thanks. I'll keep it on the list though just in case.
When you defund the police, the terrorists win.

Return to “General Discussion”