Kid Rad

Postby Kid Rad » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:18 pm

Last edited by Kid Rad on Tue May 22, 2018 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lividya

Re: The case for Promethium

Postby lividya » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:06 pm

I'm not sure what you mean by "does not form any known isotopes on it's own." Isotopes are formed during nuclear decay (fission) or perhaps fusion. The difference between isotopes is the mass number (protons + neutrons).

Kid Rad

Postby Kid Rad » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:17 pm

lividya

Postby lividya » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:41 pm

I know a bit about chemistry since I have a Ph.D. in the field, although I'm not a nuclear chemist to be sure. I pointed out a few months ago that the Lanthanides and Actinides have some pretty interesting names. Although I would still argue for something based on Astatine since that is quite rare on earth or Protactinium since that has such an awesome name. It just rolls of the tongue.

Personally I thought the name Unobtainium sounded silly in Avatar and sort of silly here as well. If they ultimate went with a name based on a known element, I just hope they get the science right. I would take a silly name over incorrect science any day.

Kid Rad

Postby Kid Rad » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:03 pm

broxen

Postby broxen » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:48 pm

Between life and work, I've been absent lately..

I want the science to make sense, as much as is reasonable, but small amount of hand waving is to be expected considering the genre.

That said, I'm also not a huge fan of Unobtanium. It makes me think of so many other pieces of bad science fiction. I think some fictional or hypothetical material that ties into the overall plot is a great idea.

The trope is common enough in the genre (Vibranium, Nth Metal, Adamantium, many more) that calling it Unobtanium feels sorta like lampshading. It runs a bit too whimsical for my tastes.
-Broxen

indigowulf

Postby indigowulf » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:37 pm

Nothing to add here except "I agree" Unobtanium isn't the best choice, for all the reasons already mentioned. It kinda made me roll my eyes when I first read that, I was hoping it was a placeholder and willing to pretend it didn't exist if it was written in stone.
~indigowulf global, SG Feral Storm (future founder!)

Return to “General Discussion”