The Play Style Thread

PowerAce

The Play Style Thread

Postby PowerAce » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:20 pm

I couldn't find where this has been specifically covered in another thread. I see that some have elaborated what they enjoy in The Who were you in CoH thread. But I'm wondering what everyone's style of play is?

My own experience was mainly in a tank, CC, and support roles. But I enjoyed playing every archetype and plan to try them all. The more difficult to learn and play, the better I like it. I like to plan efficient builds and try things outside the typically accepted standard. I'm a min/max'er for sure. I like exploring and trying everything there is to do and testing builds and strategies when required for difficult scenarios. I like to play with organized players who know their character. I do expect that is really a basic expectation for those reading these forums, at this stage. Personally, I've never been much of a role player. It all good though. Some of my best friends are role players. And I grew up playing pnp RPGs. 😉

I'm looking forward to meeting up with everyone here someday in game and have a blast.
It doesn't matter where we come from, what we've done or suffered, or even if we make a difference. We live as though the world were as it should be, to show it what it can be.

GladDog

Re: The Play Style Thread

Postby GladDog » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:50 pm

I adjust my playstyle to the type of character I am playing. While I prefer playing as a tank, I've had lots of fun with other ATs, especially scrapper and defender types. CC types are not my cup of tea. Nothing wrong with them, and I did level cap a controller, but the playstyle never grabbed me and locked me down (pun intended). The one think I don't like playing is glass cannons. I did like Corruptors, but I did not care much for Blasters, even though I capped one of those too. Had a 2nd one up to level 47, loaded up a bunch of 50 IO's and SO's, and never played him again.

My order of preference is;

1 - TANK
2 - DEFENDER
3 - SCRAPPER

Defenders and Scrappers are virtually tied as far as enjoying playstyle, but Defenders have an easier time getting teams.
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

Warhead

Postby Warhead » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:02 pm

I tried to give each style a try. Tankers were not my cup of tea. I liked defenders, controllers scrappers and blasters the most. Warhead was one of my main toons and he was an energy blaster. I am more of a casual player. Didn't really max out many characters, I was always getting ideas for new ones. I've tried role play but never got into it too deeply but would like to try more, maybe if I find a role play group to join.

Eulb

Postby Eulb » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:39 am

I tried to give each style ...
Me to Warhead ... its the playing and experiencing the whole enchilada... but i will confess i love to Scrap, Brawl , Brut ...

My order of preference is;

1 - TANK
2 - DEFENDER
3 - SCRAPPER

Defenders and Scrappers are virtually tied as far as enjoying playstyle, but Defenders have an easier time getting teams.
Same with me GladDog except reverse of your preferences 3 2 1
Let the bright stars ahead guide your journey

Van Allen

Postby Van Allen » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:37 pm

In CoH somewhere I read, "You'll never have trouble finding a team if you're a Defender."
1. Defender;
2. Blaster;
3. Controller;
4. Tank.

But for soloing it's Tank/Scrapper.

Prefer teams and as a Def, rather than leading the team as their Tank.

But overall I'd rather be in a team as opposed to soloing.
What Are Dominators. "Much like a spider traps a bug, wraps it up, then starts chewing on it when it's completely unable to escape or defend itself."

DomiDayglow

Postby DomiDayglow » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:08 am

I always liked playing support. Though, I liked the corruptor over the defender in CoH because the corruptor could do more damage. By the time I used by buffs and debuffs, the group was already in source range. My damage could make a difference then.

But the way mezzes worked in CoH, soloing was just aweful with anything that wasn't melee. So, I made stalkers and scrappers when I wanted to be by myself.

I never actually played a tank class. I remember, when we had incarnate powers with their mez protections, I could use my radiation corruptor as a tank by using debuffs that aggroed everything and surviving the intial alpha with the help of team buffs to my defense.

Styrj

Postby Styrj » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:13 am

My overall play style of choice was as a scrapper, closely followed by dominator (CoV) and blaster. I soloed roughly 95% of the time and only teamed when my son was playing. I played just about all of the CoHV archetypes (except Controller and Defender), however my favorite play styles in CoHV were:
1. Dominator
2. Scrapper
3. Blaster
4. Mastermind
:D If it ain't broke, don't fix it! :D

Eulb

Postby Eulb » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:17 am

I See a real adventure coming .. in exploring how each archetype will work for my play style , upon game release i'm going to go slow on trying each type
I'm setting my heart on " SLOW" don't rush it Eulb ... don't rush
Let the bright stars ahead guide your journey

Gamegod

Postby Gamegod » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:24 pm

I really enjoyed having my archetype a fire/kin troller go in and destroy mob after mob on mission maps. I got so much fulfillment from this. I hope that you guys will create something similar to this playstyle. :D
Never say too much; always say enough. :roll:

Gamegod

Postby Gamegod » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:36 pm

In all other games I play i'm solo like 95% of the time. In the Cox world I was completely the opposite 95% team play. No other mmo made me want to be so social. I did everything from regular groups, trials, task force, and just hanging out in atlas. The other 5% i was on mission maps farming for purps.
Never say too much; always say enough. :roll:

JestersGhost

Postby JestersGhost » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:16 am

My mains in CoH were a scrapper and controller - I also enjoyed tanks, and my highest level character on red-side was a dominator.

Basically, I like stuff that's hard to kill, but that doesn't necessarily mean high-defenses - CC is basically a form of defense, and my controller particularly could tank better than a lot of tanks :P

In other games I play stuff with a lot of life-steal, or regen (my scrapper was a DM/Reg, so ticked both those boxes) - hard to kill, but not for the usual reasons. I tend to like off-meta builds, but will then min/max the hell out of them :P
[ quantum sufficit / casual-tempest.net / My Combat Mechanics Thread ]

Web

Postby Web » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:50 pm

My mains in CoH and CoV was Kat/SR and Nin/Ninjitsu respectively.

Towards the end of my playing CoX I really got into support; especially emp/therm/kin.

Since the end of city I pretty much contInued as support as my main in other games. Depending on the choices for powers, I think I'm gonna roll a Scrapper since that was my first toon ever in CoH.

DomiDayglow

Postby DomiDayglow » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:33 pm

I always thought that the neatest thing about CoH was that every power set, and combination of them, had a different playstyle. There were the basic three of support, DPS, and tanking, but a empathy played different than radiation. Some DPS sets were wonderful at single targets, but not so much against groups and vice versa. That was what made 8 people on a team still fill different niches. A electric/shield scrapper could squish a group, but broadsword scappers could splat dangerous bosses. Both could still work well on a team together even though both were technically DPS. Bubblers put their bubbles on a group every few minutes and were free to focus on damage while a cold corruptor could shield people, then use their debuffs before thinking about damage.

In that way, every powerset and combination of powersets was sort of like a different archetype when compared to other games. You might have 4 or 5 classes, but dozens and dozens of combinations from their powers. Each one with a slightly different playstyle.

Corruptor was always my favorite. Defenders, who had stronger support abilities, just didn't do any damage and it took forever to defeat something. With a corruptor? By the time I was finished with debuffs and buffing, the group would be in sourge range for double damage.

Solari

Postby Solari » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:19 pm

Flea is a full-on Leroy Jenkins scrapper but knows when the tide is turning and when to get the hell out to let someone else take the aggro. He loves to get in there, cause chaos and then dive out again before they know what hit them. :)
Last edited by Solari on Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dying Breath

Postby Dying Breath » Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:22 am

Flea is a full-on Leroy Jenkins scrapper but knows when the tide is turning and when to get the hell out to let someone else take the aggro. He loves to get in there, cause chaos and then dive out again before they know what hit them. :)
As a former coordinator of all-scrapper TF's, I think you mean: "...knows when the tide is turning and when to KILL FASTER (or die trying)"

Return to “General Discussion”