How can we help?

SweetSugar

How can we help?

Postby SweetSugar » Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:27 am

I am fairly decent with Wings3D (Blender for dummies) and GIMP, So I was wondering if there is any way we mortals might swipe a few asset/hair/costume designs off the pile and help get stuff done faster.

Even if we were to design, say a building exterior or just a texture and you have to clean it up, that's hopefully one thing we can get - say 80% done for you.

Not speaking for everyone here, but I'd be willing to toss a couple of hours a week your way if it helps in any way. Even just creating alternate textures for outfits and weapons is something I could help with.

Just asking.

Consultant

Re: How can we help?

Postby Consultant » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:48 am

This is a great question. We want to say "thank you" for offering to help. That is really awesome.

One of the little tricks we have to deal with right now is that it takes a lot of time to adjust any assets we buy or get from outside. There was a time (like in early 2016) when it seemed that we would be able to buy a lot of stuff on the Marketplace and just pop it into the game. And for a single-player game, this can certainly work.

But for a multi-player game, we have to always consider how heavy something is, relative to the servers. Budgeting competing interests is the name of the game in multiplayer. We have actually built sophisticated tools and processes to allow SoH to have high FPS and relatively low lag in the Unreal engine. Right now we are taking a break from optimizing to work on some other stuff, but then it will be back to optimizing.

The bottom line is that it is hard for us to crowd-source art development.

What we can use are ideas. For example, someone (I apologize -- I've lost the recollection of his/her name) asked us a few months back if we could have a very short African-American haircut inspired by the Blade movies. We jumped onto that, and it is in the game right now.

So what can supporters who want to help, actually do for us? Well, here's my list off the top:

1. Contribute financially. Every bit helps.
2. Give us ideas. Someone recently asked for a more formal, officer-type outfit. So we made one. In the last event, that was the outfit that a streamer picked for his character...so it got immediate publicity. :)
3. Maybe some of you want to be on the mission testing team? We have not organized this just yet, because we have found this year that creating missions is taking more time than we have hoped, and because we are having issues with the replication graph tech from Epic. But we think we will whip this tech into shape shortly.

Also, if there is a mission arc that you want to propose, that happens on the ship (no completely new settings, please, but the inside of a building is OK), with our existing character types and enemies, in the current Ship of Heroes universe, please post it. We love ideas from the community!

SweetSugar

Postby SweetSugar » Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:53 pm

Well I have no idea what you need, but in Second Life they published the skin, Shirt, Pants, eyes and Shoes texture templates so users could create their own textures.

If I had a UV template I could play with the textures, bump maps, normal maps, glossy maps and emission maps.

Now I'm sure there are all kinds of gotchas, like in Second Life if you grayscaled skin maps, users could choose any skintone from the color selector.

You may also have maps like in SWTOR where there is a primary and secondary color the users can select. I know there needs to be a way to map that kind of thing.

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:25 am

The good news is that you can do that now in the character creator. :)

Return to “General Discussion”