Character-Character Collission

pearbear

Character-Character Collission

Postby pearbear » Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:52 pm

I brought this up as feedback in an old thread, but I wanted to reintroduce it for continued visibility and as its own topic:

For immersion, I strongly advocate character-character collision, i.e. being unable to walk through other characters.

Games like Ultima Online and City of Heroes have/had character collision, whereas games like World of Warcraft and Star Wars the Old Republic do not. Matrix Online did not have it but it had an interlock combat system that effectively prevented you from running through your teammates while in combat.

I can't tell you how much being able to run through another person bothers me in a video game, and if City of Heroes could pull this off in an MMO environment in the early 2000's I don't see why this would be a challenge in 2020. The downside is minor inconvenience at doorways and in narrow maps, but the brevity of it really negates it as a serious concern.

Please, please give this serious consideration.

indigowulf

Re: Character-Character Collission

Postby indigowulf » Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:17 pm

My vote: yes character collision with players and enemies, but NO character collision with freakin pets. Otherwise, MM type classes are a PITA and people won't want to play with them as much :P (In fact, it would be nice to be able to turn off visuals for other peoples pets, too, for people playing on potatoes)
~indigowulf global, SG Feral Storm (future founder!)

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:25 pm

My vote: yes character collision with players and enemies, but NO character collision with freakin pets. Otherwise, MM type classes are a PITA and people won't want to play with them as much :P (In fact, it would be nice to be able to turn off visuals for other peoples pets, too, for people playing on potatoes)
This
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

lunawisp

Postby lunawisp » Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:55 pm

Hmm, I'm in two minds about this actually. Having player collision on allows those griefers that we know so well to stand in doorways and narrow passages, effectively preventing anyone passing through. I believe that's why some games turned player collisions off in the first place. Maybe we could push them aside ;)
lunawisp was my Peacebringer in City of Heroes - she lives on in memory as my gaming id.
https://www.heroesin.space/ - A Blog About Super Heroes and Spaceships

brando81373

Postby brando81373 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:11 am

Yes, character collision can cause issues with players. There are a lot of jerks out there who will cause problems (blocking doors, ramming players etc.) I agree that no collision is less realistic, but it causes problems. It was also ridiculous in COH how my invulnerable tank would get pushed down the street by normal civilians when trying to buy enhancements from Serefina in Bricks. Definitely no collision with character pets.

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:29 am

I also want to push civilians around, not the other way around. having been the recipient of that in a past life. I will do the pushing from now on. :twisted:

brando81373

Postby brando81373 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:14 pm

Especially that guy wearing that yellow track suit!

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:59 pm

Was I that transparent? I know a hole in the map that I was going to push him through....

lunawisp

Postby lunawisp » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:55 pm

Was I that transparent? I know a hole in the map that I was going to push him through....
<<Edges away from Golden Ace>>
Thankfully he's easy to spot in his golden suit...
lunawisp was my Peacebringer in City of Heroes - she lives on in memory as my gaming id.
https://www.heroesin.space/ - A Blog About Super Heroes and Spaceships

happydolphin

Postby happydolphin » Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:26 am

I kind of liked character blocking when you're say a Tank and you can stand in the way of the enemy getting to your allies, like blocking them and not letting them pass giving that sort of stand your ground hero feel. Maybe collision only happens between players and enemies but not between players. That sounds like a compromise.

indigowulf

Postby indigowulf » Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:01 pm

How about; players and enemy groups can shove each other around, but "hapless citizens" only GET pushed, similar to how cars only push us and do not get pushed themselves (ok, 1 car :P). Those little weaklings are no match for my 13 year old fire mage girl! rawr!
~indigowulf global, SG Feral Storm (future founder!)

SweetSugar

Postby SweetSugar » Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:08 pm

Tera had a great idea I think might help here.

On PVP servers waaaay back in the day, if you were in a town or village, there were no collisions. If you were out in the world, collisions were enabled. That way you can push while you are fighting, but you could still get through the gankers and greifers to access the merchants in Lumbertown.

happydolphin

Postby happydolphin » Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:00 am

Of course from my previous statement. There would still be CPU mobs that would still find a way to get around the tanker hero so it wouldn't be too easy. Like they teleport through the wall or dig down and get to the other side.

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:35 pm

I was playing DCUO and in the primary newb starter area a bunch of !@#$heads were blocking the only egress point out of the starter building. GMs would come in and move them, but within an hour they were right back there. You could not leave the building. They stayed there for days at a time.

So the devs turned off player collisions with allies. Problem solved.

I am a firm believer in turning off collisions with allies.
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

happydolphin

Postby happydolphin » Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:14 am

I can imagine a very interesting mission that involves you working as a bodyguard to keep NPCs off a celebrity by pushing the NPCs back without too much violence. So I mean being able to be a block against NPCs and enemies maybe but allies can move through each other.

Return to “General Discussion”