Pay to Play

Wing Leader

Re: Pay to Play

Postby Wing Leader » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:53 pm

Subscription model is the only way to keep toxic people out and to build a player base resembling the tight-knit, invested community that CoH had, in my opinion.
Word.

Eulb

Postby Eulb » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:12 pm

In a Q&A video, they said they'd be sub to play. That's best in my opinion, since everything can go into developing content and not cash shop items. The tiered subscription that was mentioned isn't a bad idea.
yes it was very exciting to get Penniguin the free sub. at Comic-con and even more exciteing to see her spend 2-3 hrs. anguishing over her toon creation .... she now plays more than i do in other games sence COH is gone ...

Parkhyeyeon what does you name mean...and some one tell me what " Sub to play " is ???
Let the bright stars ahead guide your journey

Eulb

Postby Eulb » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:13 pm

Hee Hee Wingleader i agree "...WORD...."
Let the bright stars ahead guide your journey

Flagwaver

Postby Flagwaver » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:43 pm

...and some one tell me what " Sub to play " is ???
Unless I'm mistaken, that's another term for "pay to play." It means being able to play as a subscriber.
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

A bullet may have a name on it, but 20 pounds of C4 is more of a "to whom it may concern."

Parkhyeyeon

Postby Parkhyeyeon » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:20 am

In a Q&A video, they said they'd be sub to play. That's best in my opinion, since everything can go into developing content and not cash shop items. The tiered subscription that was mentioned isn't a bad idea.
Parkhyeyeon what does you name mean...and some one tell me what " Sub to play " is ???
Korean name of my wife. She works a lot and no time to play games, so I do the honor of kicking ass for her. :)
Join SoH Discord!
Backer #9
CoH mains(Freedom server):
Angel Irene - Energy/devices Blaster
Seraph Irene - Energy/Radiation Corrupter

Rogue

Postby Rogue » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:41 pm

NO cash items. It will always be "P2W" even by its most "harmless" definition...conveniences. Even outfits are too much because it takes time away from putting things ingame that should be there. If there is some perceived need for cash items, then there should be a way to acquire them ingame, WITHOUT having to kill 10,000 of anything but through "normal course of play".

Codex

Postby Codex » Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:51 pm

I'm all for the subscription model. Like others have said, this helps the developers in forecasting cash flow, allows them to focus on developing game content, and helps create a better community for players.
aka Backer 68

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:28 pm

NO cash items. It will always be "P2W" even by its most "harmless" definition...conveniences. Even outfits are too much because it takes time away from putting things ingame that should be there. If there is some perceived need for cash items, then there should be a way to acquire them ingame, WITHOUT having to kill 10,000 of anything but through "normal course of play".
Wow, how do free to play titles make a living by your definition? They don't, and they never will.
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

lunawisp

Postby lunawisp » Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:09 pm

I'm in two minds actually. I agree with all the points about subscription models attracting players who are more invested in the game and less 'toxic' (what a horrible word to describe people lol) but it can't be denied that the F2P model does attract a lot of additional players and, thus, potential income. Maybe SoH could get the best of both worlds with trial accounts of some sort.
lunawisp was my Peacebringer in City of Heroes - she lives on in memory as my gaming id.
https://www.heroesin.space/ - A Blog About Super Heroes and Spaceships

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:56 pm

IMO the game should start as P2P sub only with no cash shop. If a cash shop is added as an afterthought it will either be lame or godlike. After the income is rolling in, and if they feel the need to add players in 12-24 months, they can carefully plan a cash shop and add F2P. But these devs have lots on their plate right now without having to put together a useful but not OP cash shop.

And honestly, I would not be in any hurry for a cash shop, whether as part of a sub or as FTP. CoH made it for half a decade without one, which tells me that the target audience is pretty meh about the idea.
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

kinglucus

Postby kinglucus » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:58 am

I know this is a long way off, but has there been any consideration as to how users will be able to pay monthly? Hopefully it will include Paypal (which allows for recurring payment) that is accepted worldwide and is always my "go to" for payment if they accept it.

E_Orrbon

Postby E_Orrbon » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:37 pm

I can only speak for myself, but I was quite happy with CoH's original subscription model. I gladly paid $15 a month to play that game. I got more entertainment value for my $ from CoH than any other form of entertainment I can think of. I would have no problem paying a subscription fee again for a game as fun and addictive as CoH.

I also agree with the sentiments expressed above that F2P is a death sentence for any good MMORPG, especially if it first establishes a strong, mature player base through a subscription model. One of the reasons CoH was so great early on was that it was built by a community of primarily adult players who took the genre seriously and weren't prone to adolescent behavior. It made teaming up a joy, something that no other MMORPG has ever replicated IMO.
I agree with you Wing Leader. Let me add this: I'd suggest a buy+sub plan. I had to buy CoH and CoV when they came out, plus subscribe. I also bought the Going Rogue pack too. (Like most of you, who played CoX)
This way, the devs get the initial payment for the game, plus the subscription model ensures that most of the player base is responsible adult types.
@RageOfAngels, Virtue server. 7 year vet.

A1fighter

Postby A1fighter » Sun May 13, 2018 2:15 pm

Subs weeds out bad seeds for the most part. You would like to have everybody's money, but you don't necessarily want everybody perse.

mereman

Postby mereman » Sun May 13, 2018 2:34 pm

I'm adding my vote to having a subscription, There will be two from here for myself and my wife :D
Also the idea of having a trial is good. I started with a trial on CoH (for one day it's all it took to convince me that it was the game for me).
Still in mourning for CoH

Turtlesandwich

Postby Turtlesandwich » Sun May 13, 2018 3:53 pm

I am fully willing to pay for a subscription in order to support the staff of Ship of Heroes. However, you can also include a F2P for some with a payment method to open in-game content similar to SWTOR. So, you have free-players, players who buy in-game content, and subscribers.
Not looking for another crappy F2P game, if i was i would go somewhere else.

Return to “General Discussion”