The Speed of Melee Combat

Consultant

The Speed of Melee Combat

Postby Consultant » Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:23 am

We have a new video and newsletter out today. Hopefully you all enjoy it.

But the key question is this, how fast do you want melee combat to be?

Golden Ace

Re: The Speed of Melee Combat

Postby Golden Ace » Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:57 am

awesome. I never noticed the leg lasers before. love them. and love that you can tell their energy by them.
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:51 pm

Even better the lasers turn on when they sight you and realize you are an enemy. In a dark spot and 20 leg lasers suddenly glow in thye dark? Better activate a couple of infusions....

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:15 pm

Even better the lasers turn on when they sight you and realize you are an enemy. In a dark spot and 20 leg lasers suddenly glow in thye dark? Better activate a couple of infusions....
Now I like that. You are traveling through under areas of the city where there is not enough lights... because for some reason Prometheans like the dark. well if I looked like some of them I'd knock out a few lights too... and suddenly in the dark passage ways you see these lasers lighting up.

sounds like fun.
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:32 am

Adding a few comments based on the feedback from YouTube:

1. We should all remember that we've been saying for three years that we will enable players (and team leaders) to convert knockback to knockdown if desired.

2. We like the idea of combo powers. But we want to show the exisiting power and see what people think, and also take suggestions for combos rather than just imposing them.

3. We are looking at the global cooldown issue. We generally agree that there should always be another power that is charged after you launch an attack. In fact there is always another power, it just does not look that way.

4. We are not spamming attacks at maximum speed, we are showcasing powers and giving people a chance to read the text and see what is going on.

olepi

Postby olepi » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:24 am

I think it looks pretty good; it looks playable even in this early form.

It is a mistake to compare a new game from a small indy studio to a long-running game from a large professional studio like City of Heroes. CoH is now at the top of its game, after a lot of development and tuning. The high water mark.

But CoH is old, and it shows. SoH is new and it shows. SoH has a future, and it could end up surpassing CoH when SoH hits its own high-water mark.
2020: 43 years on the Net.

brando81373

Postby brando81373 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:42 am

I really like the look of the martial arts power set in the video, especially like the roll away defense buff (which can definitely be used to herd enemies as well). The speed of combat looked exciting but not too quick for my old reflexes. I am very excited for the combat beta! Keep up the good work!

Actjcksn

Postby Actjcksn » Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:00 pm

I really like the speed of the combat and the power set. They look awesome! The speed of the combat is fast enough to keep things exciting and also allow you to calculate your next steps. The combat also has fluid motion. Excellent work!
3) Expect the Plan to go off the rails...
4) ...Throw away the Plan

Return to “General Discussion”