Unobtainium?

Re: Unobtainium?

Postby Avatar PDM » Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:23 am

I think some object because of its use in that annoying movie "Avatar"
Buy who knows
Well, I think according to the numbers the movie must have had fans, but I understand what you mean. For me it was to much of a clichee with all those paralells between american (or european - its not like they did it better anywhere) settlement history and the movie. But I kind of liked the music I have to admit.
Anyway, it is an interesting explanation, but for people thinking that way - I think that is a little bit small minded - because in that manner one could be against nearly anything, because for most stuff there has been something annoying already (in my case my favorite example: Lord of the Rings with its unnecessary changes, which reduced otherwise great work without need). I think people should be a little bit more tolerant with propable weaknesses especially when the "product" isn´t even there yet to check how much the thing which disturbs effects the fun.
What is Reality, what a Dream? Is the dream changing your reality or is the reality defining your dreams? Only one being aware, that awareness can never be complete can use both to become the best possible and combine both to form the future! PDM

brandoncomputer

Postby brandoncomputer » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:28 pm

I really am astonished how much emotion a single word unlocks, which most likely will disappear pretty soon after the launch of the game.
Can please somebody explain this to me. I mean, ok not anyone likes any idea and some might be a real reason for offense because that is what they might be - offensive. But that is just a fill-word, which in practical day-to-day-routine has no effect. If one does not like it, ignore it but why let negative emotions crowd ones mind for such a detail, up to even probably not playing it?

(and just for notice: I acknowledge the humor in the word but it is not my word of choice neither for different reasons)
I know you posted after this, but this is sort of shorter LoL!

OK, I've been a gamer since the late 80's and that's about how long I've been pelting DM's with dice who do not know how to maintain suspension of disbelief.

Campaigns where a game master disrespects the players ability to immerse into character are usually either 'chess' style roll-play campaigns or extremely short lived roleplay games, usually 2-3 sessions.

I don't want to play this game 2-3 times, and I don't want my immersion or suspension of disbelief befouled with foolishness. I want to play, and enjoy the game.

So if you're a content writer, and you put a P.L.O.T. device in this game, just know, I hate you. And always will.

(Double post deleted, corrected spelling error, still learning here LoL)
Hi there Brandon,

Two short questions to your reply
sorry if I ask, but your point is?
What is it you understand under a PLOT device? (and how should I put anything in that game?)

Apologies, I've just realized how colloquial my posts are, I fear that I won't be able to express my side of the argument due to our experiences being malaligned, but I hope you do trust I do have point. If you'll look up the trope "willing suspension of disbelief" this may provide you with insight.

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:57 pm

Personally I still think of Unobtainium as a crutch for not knowing how your character got its powers. Oh I was born with them because of Unobtainium instead of I accidentally made jello shooters with what I thought was an old bottle of vodka my late father, the chemist, kept in his den. Turns out it wasn't vodka but rather something he was working on for his company before his death. The chemicals mixed with the gelatin in such a way as to allow my body to absorb them without killing me and gave me the power to control electricity. and ironically to tell at a glance the alcohol that was used in the making of jello shooters.
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

Postby Avatar PDM » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:51 am

I know you posted after this, but this is sort of shorter LoL!

OK, I've been a gamer since the late 80's and that's about how long I've been pelting DM's with dice who do not know how to maintain suspension of disbelief.

Campaigns where a game master disrespects the players ability to immerse into character are usually either 'chess' style roll-play campaigns or extremely short lived roleplay games, usually 2-3 sessions.

I don't want to play this game 2-3 times, and I don't want my immersion or suspension of disbelief befouled with foolishness. I want to play, and enjoy the game.

So if you're a content writer, and you put a P.L.O.T. device in this game, just know, I hate you. And always will.

(Double post deleted, corrected spelling error, still learning here LoL)
Hi there Brandon,

Two short questions to your reply
sorry if I ask, but your point is?
What is it you understand under a PLOT device? (and how should I put anything in that game?)

Apologies, I've just realized how colloquial my posts are, I fear that I won't be able to express my side of the argument due to our experiences being malaligned, but I hope you do trust I do have point. If you'll look up the trope "willing suspension of disbelief" this may provide you with insight.
Hi Brandon,

no need to apologize, I just wanted to know what you meant with your reply, because I did not understand the context (especially, since I do not know what you mean with that sentence about content writer...PLOT device...) and I can just give a fitting reply if I know what is being said.
But I will take a look at that topic you mentioned and will see, if I am enlightened by that ;).
What is Reality, what a Dream? Is the dream changing your reality or is the reality defining your dreams? Only one being aware, that awareness can never be complete can use both to become the best possible and combine both to form the future! PDM

Postby Avatar PDM » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:57 am

Personally I still think of Unobtainium as a crutch for not knowing how your character got its powers. Oh I was born with them because of Unobtainium instead of I accidentally made jello shooters with what I thought was an old bottle of vodka my late father, the chemist, kept in his den. Turns out it wasn't vodka but rather something he was working on for his company before his death. The chemicals mixed with the gelatin in such a way as to allow my body to absorb them without killing me and gave me the power to control electricity. and ironically to tell at a glance the alcohol that was used in the making of jello shooters.
nice origin there :D
but you know, that is propably part of me not really getting the excitement, because Unobtainium has absolutely no meaning to me in question of origin or anything else excepte the fact, that the ship is being propelled by it and it is being used for some missions.
Me for my part I have different origins for my characters anyway, so it won´t appear in my stuff anyway.
But I got your point :) (wasn´t that also the beginning of the X-Men ;)? I mean, they were Mutants because Lee and Kirby were to lazy to make up other origins ;))

Solari

Postby Solari » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:15 am

I thought the power source would be along the lines of some sort of trans-dimensional element that's pulled into our universe by a device that contains it within a strong force field or mini-black hole. Particles are allowed to leak out and are the energy is harnessed. Perhaps some heroes would have the ability to leech these particles or to create their own localised rips in spacetime to harness this energy.

So yeah, not sure what else to call something like that. :p

brandoncomputer

Postby brandoncomputer » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:08 pm

@Avatar PDM
A late clarification here: In CoH there was a mid-level mission 'Get the P.L.O.T. device' - it really wasn't great content writing.
You can find a brief mention of the mission here: http://cityofheroes.wikia.com/wiki/Ingame_References

Red5

Postby Red5 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:47 pm

I thought the power source would be along the lines of some sort of trans-dimensional element that's pulled into our universe by a device that contains it within a strong force field or mini-black hole. Particles are allowed to leak out and are the energy is harnessed. Perhaps some heroes would have the ability to leech these particles or to create their own localised rips in spacetime to harness this energy.

So yeah, not sure what else to call something like that. :p
I like your thinking! Wouldn't even have to go that far tbh.

Cause and effect

Make your trans dimensional element a pure quantum source and that alone can fundamentally change our heroes to be able to affect the Quantum (think bricks) and/or even sub-Quantum (think ((masonry)) mortar) of our Universe in just about every imaginable way possible (and many many that can not be imagined and therefore almost null'd out point...as they will never manifest) :mrgreen:

--------------------------------------------

Back on topic point.... I think the Devs want a Consumable resource that is extremely rare in the universe. So as above quoted engines that would be endless and boundless energy source....would be cool, but also probably circumvent some story plots and events when dealing with pirates, politics, hazards, etc.

One name is as good as another...I personally view it as more a "MacGuffin" really. I think GA is correct..least I will be playing that way. In that my powers come from my origins mostly and as a default generic origin I'll use the Unobtainium crutch lol.
...reporting in.

indigowulf

Postby indigowulf » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:15 pm

Did some people get in a fight on this thread and then delete posts?? I just got 2 notifications about being quoted on this post yesterday, but I see no activity here. Is the forum on crack?

~indigowulf global, SG Feral Storm (future founder!)

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:29 pm

lol that was me. we had a spammer I deleted his post, then saw I had a typo.
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

lunawisp

Postby lunawisp » Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:10 pm

lol that was me. we had a spammer I deleted his post, then saw I had a typo.
Beware the phantom deleter...

Actually, I was in two minds about the term 'unobtanium' then I decided it really didn't matter what it was called. As long as we have a good game and, even more importantly, a good community, names of phantom objects don't really matter that much, to me anyway!
IOW I can live with it!
lunawisp was my Peacebringer in City of Heroes - she lives on in memory as my gaming id.
https://www.heroesin.space/ - A Blog About Super Heroes and Spaceships

SweetSugar

Postby SweetSugar » Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:25 pm

Baconium (or Baconite) Because Bacon goes with everything.
Bolognium (borrowed from Futurama)
Stellanium (Star Metal)
Quaternium (Quaternions are 3D math objects)

Return to “General Discussion”