Auction House

Red5

Auction House

Postby Red5 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:18 pm

I know right off the git go, that an AH will be something that comes later and is not a priority. That said, I do ask for one's consideration and any feedback from the community both for and against this nugget.

Seems to me of the many games that I have played that have an AH...only one ever got it right (kinda) and that was EvE Online. I think in a way all the other games hoped the AH would function like it does/did in EvE. But what actually happens is a different story.

So to the meat of it and then some tl;dr point and examples there after... Put a price cap on items please. Take your vendor price (as if the item was to be sold to an NPC) and multiple it by 4 or 10 or ? and make that the cap that it can not exceed on the AH.

Imho, what happens if you don't cap it (obviously not in EvE per se) is:

1. You create a division of the have and have nots unintentionally.

2*. the haves will sell to the have nots at ridiculous over blown prices.
a. this in part intentional
b. and in part unintentional as ppl will see a thing priced for that and try to sell it for just under it but still at over inflated price.

3**. In turn this forms 2 distinct player types
a. the farmer..which I think most agree with is not fun but often a needed evil because of AH prices
b. the day traders....these guys will not play your game, but instead sit there at the AH buying up things and selling them at even higher prices

Now I get in a game one would want things to have rarity to make ppl feel warm/fuzzy/special to have it/them. And I get, especially on a subscription format, it is conducive to have those rarer things be even harder to get so ppl will keep playing/paying to get them. but I'd also argue/debate that if the game is fun, people will pay to play regardless. As to rarity *shrugs* IDK honestly. I know as a player I too would like to have a thing and games like Diablo 3, and Grim Dawn (vastly different games I know but as far as loot and craft goes...), or any game I have to grind and grind and grind and grind to get a thing(s)... quickly goes from super fun to collecting dust and not played.

So a compromise is my answer. Let there be traders and farmers, but put a cap in the AH pricing.

*=It may start off small and fair but quickly spirals out of control. I imagine every developer hopes their AH will match the supply and demand model, but like I said EvE Online is about the only game I ever saw it occur in. Folks greed in all other games prevails.

**=there are games when these two player types get together and become gold farmers, selling in game money for IRL money or in game items for IRL money. I wish I could say that this is an extreme case but it is not and it is never good for any game that I have ever played.

Just my thoughts, what are yours?
...reporting in.

Consultant

Re: Auction House

Postby Consultant » Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:25 am

How about if we just make it pretty easy to obtain whatever you need by playing the game?

No shortages. Guys who buy up stuff to create shortages and arbitrage price differences just lose money when the supply expands dramatically.

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:14 pm

This is something more game makers should do! So what you are saying is that if an item disappears from Ivars (btw, Ivar's Fish and Chips is a huge thing in the Seattle area, where I am from), the drop rate will increase? That is a great idea, one that will make dust farmers pack up their belongings if that is all they were there for...
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:26 pm

item limits...

on Star Trek online. you could only see the first few hundred items you were searching for. some items you needed bulk 50 to 100 and people would sell them that way for say $50 for the entire stack.

however if someone had hundreds of that item they could sell them individually for $49 each filling up the item que so you could never see the items for sale in bulk.

a good way to go around this is to have a setting so that we could sort by the price per item instead of price per sale.
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

All Ship of Heroes Videos

IN BLACKEST DAY, IN BRIGHTEST NIGHT,
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE.
LET THOSE WHO POST THEIR SPAM-ISH SLIGHT
FACE THE POWER OF ACE'S MIGHT!

JestersGhost

Postby JestersGhost » Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:53 pm

tbh, the way CoH handled auctioning was excellent.

You pick a price to list for. You get charged a percentage of that price to list.

People pick a price to buy for.

The cheapest matching item listed is sold first to the highest buying price.

This encourages people to sell low (they sell quicker, and get charged less) and buy high (they get the item quicker) which is exactly the behaviour you want.

Now, obviously, if the supply is low (or demand is high) then people can get away with selling higher because less are available so there's more chance that a higher sale price will be bought. But if we're understanding Consultant correctly, if prices get too high then the supply will be increased and undercut them, which sounds like it covers most every issue.
[ quantum sufficit / casual-tempest.net / My Combat Mechanics Thread ]

Red5

Postby Red5 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:04 pm

How about if we just make it pretty easy to obtain whatever you need by playing the game?
This sounds good to me but usually when folks talk of this, it goes the way of RNG. Or a Merit system (for lack of better terms). I don't think that is your meaning, just saying lol.
No shortages. Guys who buy up stuff to create shortages and arbitrage price differences just lose money when the supply expands dramatically.
As to no shortages..I honestly think that would be something new to me as a gamer...I think.

Just out of curiosity, could give an example of this for SoH?
tbh, the way CoH handled auctioning was excellent....
IDK servers vary I guess. I kinda recall CoH (live) my stuff just sitting there to be sold because bid were lower than vendor. Example if a recipe would vendor for 10K, folks would bid 100.

And stuff I wanted to buy was like 75 million each, if not higher, and this wasn't even top tier rarity. Sure I could bid lower but it would sit there as a bid and never match.

Example if I bid 10 million..thinking that too was too much but doable it would sit there, because folks are selling this thing around 74 million plus. The AH didn't magically pair us up.

And the only reason (so it seemed) it was going for that price is because some ppl bought up the 10 mil and sold them for 25 mil and then those were bought for 25 and sold for 50. The only would be fix was to make a farm character and then the demand became even greater and the supply even smaller and the price creeped up even higher.

This supposed fear of being charged more and encouraged to sell lower...just did not exist as far as I could tell....for most games at that not just CoH.

I'll farm, but I like my farms to be more about helping badge hunting kill X, or to help an alt character gets some levels because one can only do outbreak (for example) so many times before it gets old, and to help feed all those alt mouths lol.

Me personally don't want to spend my couple hours a night farming game money just to buy a single enhancement by the weeks end..I'd also prefer not to run task force repeatedly to gain points to buy exampled recipe.

I like Task forces and would run them repeatedly but when it comes to merit systems it becomes something else. Which is probably I don't play WoW anymore...raids are fun but raiding for gear over and over and over and over..gets old quick.

I digress, yeah agreed if that is what Consultant is saying..might work, like I said it would be something new to me to see.
...reporting in.

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:36 pm

IDK servers vary I guess. I kinda recall CoH (live) my stuff just sitting there to be sold because bid were lower than vendor. Example if a recipe would vendor for 10K, folks would bid 100.
That has always been a pet peeve. people selling things below the price a vendor would buy it for. always leaves me scratching my head. I just can't wrap my head around it. why would I sell something for $100 when the vendor just around the corner will buy it for $10,000? :?:
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

All Ship of Heroes Videos

IN BLACKEST DAY, IN BRIGHTEST NIGHT,
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE.
LET THOSE WHO POST THEIR SPAM-ISH SLIGHT
FACE THE POWER OF ACE'S MIGHT!

Red5

Postby Red5 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:13 am

That has always been a pet peeve. people selling things below the price a vendor would buy it for. always leaves me scratching my head. I just can't wrap my head around it. why would I sell something for $100 when the vendor just around the corner will buy it for $10,000? :?:
lol you'd think right?!? But ppl will place a small selling price...cuz the 'game encourages it' thinking the will get hit with a teeny tiny fee and get that big payout when the game magically matches it to it....only to realize nope someone just got your 10K item for 100 lol.
...reporting in.

Return to “General Discussion”