Super Landing!

Dirtsleeper

Super Landing!

Postby Dirtsleeper » Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:36 pm

So every time I go flying around the city and turn of flying, when I land, I get the feeling that the landing should be more "superhero" like. It seems like a lot of that feeling is taken away when you can land from dropping quite a distance and just continue running like nothing really happen. I feel like it would look and feel more thematically correct if when landing from a height that causes a "Super Landing" you should have to wait for the landing animation to finish and stand back up before you can continue moving. What do you all think?
Ship of Heroes Programmer

lunawisp

Re: Super Landing!

Postby lunawisp » Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:45 pm

It may look better but all that starting and stopping annoys me LOL

It's like when you land after a jump when superspeeding, you come to a near standstill when you hit the ground then accelerate again. Admittedly, CoH wasn't remotely realistic in the way you just flew along regardless but it was easier to control.

Maybe you need a poll on this one :D
lunawisp was my Peacebringer in City of Heroes - she lives on in memory as my gaming id.
https://www.heroesin.space/ - A Blog About Super Heroes and Spaceships

Dirtsleeper

Postby Dirtsleeper » Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:47 pm

It may look better but all that starting and stopping annoys me LOL

It's like when you land after a jump when superspeeding, you come to a near standstill when you hit the ground then accelerate again. Admittedly, CoH wasn't remotely realistic in the way you just flew along regardless but it was easier to control.

Maybe you need a poll on this one :D
I think it would be totally plausible to check your horizontal speed as well so if you're speeding along, you can just continue doing so.

lunawisp

Postby lunawisp » Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:56 pm

That sounds like a good solution. It'd make jumping while superspeeding 'nicer' to do while still allowing the recovery pause from a fall. Though the jumps need more control, at present you go halfway across the map with no control at all.

Dropping from a height could make cracks in the ground or push up a cloud of dust or something as well. Any falling damage planned?
lunawisp was my Peacebringer in City of Heroes - she lives on in memory as my gaming id.

Turtlesandwich

Postby Turtlesandwich » Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:23 pm

Hi All
Didn't we have this discussion about jumping, I think there was a vote for realistic jumping against directional control jumping. I would prefer some control myself but i think realistic won out. The thing i'm not keen on is the second jump, you stop after the first one and lose momentum.

lunawisp

Postby lunawisp » Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:36 pm

It'd be nice to have some control over the length of the jump. Even in real life you can choose how far you want to jump. At present you go sailing for miles.

Turtlesandwich

Postby Turtlesandwich » Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:41 pm

It'd be nice to have some control over the length of the jump. Even in real life you can choose how far you want to jump. At present you go sailing for miles.
Yeah if you have quickening on you can jump over the water, just watching yourself as you have nothing to do until you land.

Dirtsleeper

Postby Dirtsleeper » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:51 am

I've been analyzing some CoH video footage to look at jumping, super speed, flight, etc. I'm focused on jumping now and in CoH, the air time is 1 second. Currently in SoH, it's about 3 seconds.

The little bit of super speed I've seen in CoH, it is significantly slower than the super speed in SoH.

I think reducing the super speed to a more reasonable speed and reducing the jump air time to 1 second, to match CoH, would make jumping feel more natural, especially at high horizontal speed.

In WoW, there is a decent amount of deceleration that happens when falling unlike in SoH. So if you're flying along through the air, and you turn off flying, you won't continue on that same trajectory towards the ground, you gradually decelerate so that eventually, your horizontal speed is slowed enough that you are "falling" instead of "sailing" through the air.

What are your thoughts?

lunawisp

Postby lunawisp » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:09 am

In CoH, the length and height of the jump, both with superjump and the superspeed jump, depended on how long you held the jump button down before releasing it to take off. So you could have a short hop with a quick tap or a longer higher jump with a long press. It was consistent, allowing you to time your jumps perfectly with practice.

If I recall correctly, the travel powers were actually not just one on/off thing. You built them up in stages. So at low level you had a sort of stage 1 with a relatively slow superspeed and a not very long superjump. Stage 3 was the full speed/jump height/length.

I think superspeed in SoH is a little too fast and quicken makes travel ridiculously fast. Consultant said it was lasting 15 minutes instead of the planned 15 seconds, but even then it makes the character almost uncontrollable for the time it's active.

As far as decelerating while you'r in the air, I dunno. I've never played a game where they had that, as far as I can remember. I suppose it could work, as long as its consistent and doesn't make reaching some of those high places impossible! At present we don't know the cost of powers, whether it'd be viable to have flight as well as the others.

JestersGhost

Postby JestersGhost » Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:53 am

I know air-control is "unrealistic", but we're already in a superhero game set on a city in a spaceship, so we should be pretty flexible here :P

The current lack of jump control is absolutely horrible, and is probably my least favourite thing about playing SoH currently. It is contrary to every gamer instinct I have and it makes it impossible to properly control where you're landing.

Longer jump the longer the button is held down (up to a cap), plus significant air control is an absolute requirement I'm afraid, or every single character I roll will have flight regardless just so I can actually steer my character properly.
[ quantum sufficit / casual-tempest.net / My Combat Mechanics Thread ]

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:29 am

I agree - CoH really nailed this aspect of the game. While some of the animations were lacking, the immense directional control more than made up for this.
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:32 am

DCUO is lacking in a lot of areas, but take a look at their animations for landing from flight. They have a power called dive bomb that really looks heroic. Also, make a character using Acrobatics and get grappling hook ASAP. This really is a fun way to get around!
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

Return to “General Discussion”