Mentor System

JestersGhost

Mentor System

Postby JestersGhost » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:36 am

Now, I'm not talking about side-kicking here. This is an interesting concept I've nicked from a mobile game I'm currently playing.

CoH and a lot of other MMO games offer a help channel where players can answer questions from newer players. Unfortunately this can be messy and hard to keep on top of.

This alternative method gives an early mission for new players to find a mentor. Players with a champion past a certain level would get a mission to acquire a student. Both are rewarded as the student progresses through the game - reaches certain level milestones, for example, or whatever other in game achievements would be good for new players to do.

All of that is just to encourage players to use the system. The core benefit is to provide a dedicated help channel for new players to be able to ask questions and get help in a scalable fashion. A mentor can only take on a small number of students to ensure they don't get swamped.

And yes, there is a rating system for the student to say how good the mentor was (which affects the rewards the mentor gets as the student progresses), so you can't just take on a student and ignore them. And either side can cancel the arrangement if the other is offline past a threshold.

This feels like an excellent fit for a game like SoH, where a good community is so important.
[ quantum sufficit / casual-tempest.net / My Combat Mechanics Thread ]

Odee

Re: Mentor System

Postby Odee » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:44 am

Outstanding idea! πŸ’―πŸ‘πŸ†

Not to be confused with Power Leveling; This has the potential to be EPIC, if done right. The Mentor's powers should be tuned down to the level of the student, to enhance game play for both. Student would see a sampling of different powers in action, as well as having a seasoned players guidance through their mission.

I approve this πŸ’―% Perhaps not on release, but for a later game Issue down the pike.
Rah-rah Ree! Kick 'em in the Knee!
Rah-rah Rose! Punch 'em in the Nose!
Rah-rah Ralls! Kick 'em in the other Knee!

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:34 am

I approve this πŸ’―% Perhaps not on release, but for a later game Issue down the pike.
Concur. Sounds like a wonderful idea. But as Odee states not at release.

If I read it right it allows for multiple mentors which I think is a good idea - more chance one of them will be online.
β™ͺ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! β™«

All Ship of Heroes Videos

IN BLACKEST DAY, IN BRIGHTEST NIGHT,
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE.
LET THOSE WHO POST THEIR SPAM-ISH SLIGHT
FACE THE POWER OF ACE'S MIGHT!

JestersGhost

Postby JestersGhost » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:35 am

Note this doesn't apply to playing with the student - the student/mentor system is primarily there for communication. Obviously it's great if a mentor plays with their student too (via the sidekicking system already planned), but this is separate.

I haven't see the system done with multiple mentors...I guess it could, but I'm not sure it would actually work as well. Part of the appeal is a way of building a relationship with your mentor - diluting that might make it feel too generic? Might take some experimentation I guess.

Apparition

Postby Apparition » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:47 am

As long as it is optional, I suppose. I would never make use of such a system myself, either as a mentor or student.

Odee

Postby Odee » Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:26 pm

As long as it is optional, I suppose. I would never make use of such a system myself, either as a mentor or student.
No offense intended. But it what kind of idiot, or developer would even think to make something like this mandatory in any MMO? :?: :o :shock: :?:

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:05 pm

Okay, Odee has made my mind up, mandatory it is! πŸ˜πŸ‘
β™ͺ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! β™«

All Ship of Heroes Videos

IN BLACKEST DAY, IN BRIGHTEST NIGHT,
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE.
LET THOSE WHO POST THEIR SPAM-ISH SLIGHT
FACE THE POWER OF ACE'S MIGHT!

indiramourning

Postby indiramourning » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:41 pm

Hehe :shock:

Sounds like an excellent idea to help new players get into game smoothly. This with side-kicking make a nice combination.

Odee

Postby Odee » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:50 pm

What can I say? πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ˜³πŸ˜œπŸ˜²

JestersGhost

Postby JestersGhost » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:05 am

Oh sure, it would be completely optional, no worries. Out of curiousity, why would you not use the system? What about it do you not like? Anything that could be changed that would make it more acceptable?

Return to β€œGeneral Discussion”