Global buffs/debuffs due to story arcs and Task Forces

olepi

Global buffs/debuffs due to story arcs and Task Forces

Postby olepi » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:16 pm

One idea I had for how some story arcs/missions might work is that if the players complete them, then everybody gets a buff or a debuff.

For example, you start a story arc where you are working for the Engineering department. The missions have to do with defending the ship's engines and steering. Once you finish the story arc, you are an honorary member of the Engineering Team. You get that Badge.

Now comes a crisis: some bandits have sealed themselves off in the engine room, and are threatening to blow the ship up. They've enlisted the help of a Space Monster to do it.

Like a Task Force in other games, a large group of people (who all have to be members of the Engineering team) go to battle and if they do solve the crisis, everybody on the Engineering team gets a buff. Even if they weren't in the actual TF. The buff applies ship-wide of members who have the Engineering team Badge.

Only one instance of this could be active at any one time, and the global buff wears off after X amount of time.

This would help everybody to feel like they are together on a ship, and it is in everybody's best interests to defend the ship sections.
2019: 42 years on the Net.

JestersGhost

Re: Global buffs/debuffs due to story arcs and Task Forces

Postby JestersGhost » Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:04 pm

Certainly an intriguing idea. I like the concept, certainly, and it would contribute to feeling "part of the team."

My only question is how many different groups can people be part of eventually? If there's enough people to keep most buffs up more-or-less permanently you could find end-game players keeping quite a lot of buffs going. Might not be a bad thing though, as long as it's taken account of.
[ quantum sufficit / casual-tempest.net / My Combat Mechanics Thread ]

olepi

Postby olepi » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:09 am

I remember playing DAOC in the beginning, and when our side in RvR grabbed a relic, we'd all get a buff. It was cool learning that the senior players were out there, fighting for us. And it made me want to do it too.

I would expect there to be many sections of the ship, all with their own problems and tasks to get done. The more Badges you get for completing ship sections' tasks, the more buffs you could get. Some of them could be truly difficult to complete.

As I posted in the earlier comment about ship Officers, as you progress in a ship section, you raise your officer level and can get more buffs. Eventually, you could have done all the ship section quests and Task Forces, and can have buffs from every one of them. The buffs wear off, so you would need to keep doing the TF's.

I would want to see something like a Space Monster (Hami) raid that required many end-game players with maximum buffs to defeat.
2019: 42 years on the Net.

JestersGhost

Postby JestersGhost » Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:37 pm

I remember playing DAOC in the beginning, and when our side in RvR grabbed a relic, we'd all get a buff. It was cool learning that the senior players were out there, fighting for us. And it made me want to do it too.
Yeah, I can see that. That is a cool feeling for sure, and perfectly fits the vibe we want for SoH.
[ quantum sufficit / casual-tempest.net / My Combat Mechanics Thread ]

Return to “General Discussion”