Release

sandking

Release

Postby sandking » Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:40 am

Hello everyone, I just discovred this amazing game, is there any estimated release date ?

Consultant

Re: Release

Postby Consultant » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:48 am

The best info we have right now says that the next big thing is a character creation tool Beta in early September, followed by a combat Beta (invasions test) before year-end of 2019.

We will begin mission testing and closed Beta in either December of 2019 or early 2020, and we expect a launch in (roughly) mid-2020, but of course that depends on what goes right and wrong during the Betas.

We do the Betas to make sure that we have pieces of the game locked down and ready to play. If we find one or more major problems, then we might need more time.

sandking

Postby sandking » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:59 am

Alright, thanks a lot, and good luck!

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:16 am

We're updating some of our early market research, so I can also say that it seems like for most MMORPGs a typical total development time is about 56 months. That's from the first day where someone says "let's form a team and make an MMO" until launch day. Right now we are at about 39 months.

So we are making good progress. But it is also worth mentioning that there is a LOT of variability between development schedules among MMOs. Plus or minus two years at least.

olepi

Postby olepi » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:38 am

One of the biggest problems any big software effort faces is "feature creep". Things keep getting added and the schedule keeps getting pushed out. It's called "creeping featurism".

"Creeping featurism is a slang term used to describe a tendency for systems to become more complex over time as more features are added than were in the original design or plan."

I think the SoH team has done a great job of not falling into this trap. Define what you want to build, and build only that. New features can be added later, if the original code is modular and well implemented.

For example, I keep wanting mini-games and advanced crafting. To me, these are mandatory. But do they have to be there at launch? No. Just code in the hooks to allow these to be added later.
2019: 42 years on the Net.

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:35 pm

It's a fine line on feature creep, but you are right, we work hard to prevent this. But there are two situations that create grey areas.

The first is when the community really wants something, and we were planning on adding it later. We've had a couple of these already and we have a bias for adding it in, if we can. If we cannot add it now, we try to set the ground for adding it easily at a later date.

The second is when we have a feature that we overlooked (like alternate facial expressions in the CCT, which we began showing in the newsletter today). We have to decide if we are going to ignore this, or try to add it in. for the expressions, we determine that we could do it in a couple of days, so we went ahead and did it.

But it's a fine line.

Return to “General Discussion”