The ONLY thing I care about.

Fozzie Bear

Re: The ONLY thing I care about.

Postby Fozzie Bear » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:21 pm

That sounds like a reasonable time table. Cant wait for the CTT Beta thing. I will be reserving the name Fozzie Bear :)

alltrueist

Postby alltrueist » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:37 pm

Hey Casey,
I've pledged $100 total over a few donations, will I qualify for the CCT Beta in August? Is it still based on a $50 minimum? Is everyone who paid >$50 guaranteed access? Thanks for clarifying.

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:17 pm

Donations accumulate, so you make the cut! :D
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

SweetSugar

Postby SweetSugar » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:33 am

I have worked on many software projects as a project manager.

I know that somewhere there is a finite list of what must be done for final release along with estimates for how many hours each task might take, which tasks depend on which other tasks, what items are on the critical path, and which ones have some slack time.

I also know that doodoo occurs, and that thing you thought would take 48 hours just stubbornly refuses to work after many many hours. But you update the project plan. pull resources from other areas to help, and the schedule gets revised.

BUT: there is a pert or gantt chart somewhere that has an estimate of a completion date. Given that, I know that for commercial software will never give that date to the customers, they'll take a date like 4/1/2020 and say "Third quarter 2020".

THEN, you have to keep the backers up to date, and let them know you are working the issues. Otherwise you end up like They Came From Hollywood http://theycamefromhollywood.com/. This game is clearly dead, but there have been no updates since Democrats roamed the Earth.

This is what your game looks like when the fans are getting updates every 8 months and there is no apparent target.

Eventually the KickStarter dries up because the fans lose confidence that the devs are actually working the project.

Gerald_Deemer

Postby Gerald_Deemer » Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:40 am

Valiance Online is walking this path right now. Thanks for the link, I forgot about that funny monster game. It could have been fun once finished.
Reminds me strongly on this classic: https://www.lemon64.com/?mainurl=https% ... FID%3D1729
A game’s graphics are meant to appeal. A game’s mechanics are meant to make you feel amazing or challenged. A game’s sound effects are supposed to add life. But a good game’s UI is meant to disappear!

SweetSugar

Postby SweetSugar » Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:20 am

I forgot about that...
See? That's what I DON'T want to see happen here.

Rejean33

Postby Rejean33 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:43 pm

I agree, but without a launch date and just getting an occasional video that shows some minor feature they worked on, like

07/04/19 Auction House 6 days
06/28/19 Superspeed 32 days
05/27/19 Levelling/Augments 30 days
04/27/19 Sword Blossom 8 days
04/19/19 UI 18 days
04/01/19 City Improvements 60 days

It's a seemingly endless list of little tasks, and without ANY IDEA when they are even targeting for a release, I can imagine it becoming:

3/27/2099 tripping on shoelaces attack
4/12/2099 dimples on youthful superheroes
5/9/2099 improving footstep dust clouds on grassy surfaces
All I really want to know is when they are shooting for. This page: https://www.shipofheroes.com/schedule-to-release/ Simulation de rachat de crédit gave me hope but it has not been updated in FOREVER, and ENDS 6 months ago.
Look. I know this is an active project, they are clearly working on stuff, and I know ALL SOFTWARE PROJECTS release well after their projected release dates. There's always SOMETHING (like when the red cross sued video games for using the red cross on health packs) that makes everything take longer.
Hi all, I think you're right, and I know I'm not the only one to also think like that  good luck. Sincerely.

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:08 am

It is true that we have not updated the schedule for a while and that is because we do not want to be in the position of constantly changing the proposed launch date.

Is silence better than constant changes? I'm not sure.

But if you think about making a game like SoH in the broadest terms, and ask yourself what the big milestones are, you would probably conclude something along these lines:

1. Building a permanent playing environment. One with appropriate FPS, and quite well tested (no falling though the streets). We have this.

2. Building a top-flight character creation system. Models, morphs, costumes, hair, and all once again with good FPS because it is an MMO. We have this, and we are about to show off the latest version.

3. Build a real combat code system with depth and complexity. Damage, accuracy, buff, debuff, regen, energy recovery, etc. We have this.

4. Get some powers working and hopefully a powerset system. Animations, FX, crowd control, etc. You cannot just buy this stuff in the Marketplace and plug it in...it all has to work together. we have a lot of this.

5. Integrate items 1-4, and show it to the community. Let community members try it out and make suggestions.

Note, I am going to pause here and say that these milestones can be reached for a prototype, and then reached again for an Alpha, and then for Beta, and then for launch. We always integrate as we go. We've reached item 2 for Beta right now. We showed off item 2 in prototype 3+ years agao, and in alpha 2 years ago.

6. Create enough mission content to launch the game using all of the pieces above. We have a good start on this, and we've created some great tools to help us move quickly on this topic.

There is much more to creating a game of course. Server stability, customer service, payment plans, and marketing to name a few. As the OP said, there are estimated dates for all of this. But for us, we want to get past a couple of big milestones and know that the community is behind what we've done before we start talking about launch dates again. Hence, the CCT Beta is a big deal.

Turtlesandwich

Postby Turtlesandwich » Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:36 pm

I hope the current Beta test has allayed some of these fears

Return to “General Discussion”