Cutscenes to tell a story

olepi

Cutscenes to tell a story

Postby olepi » Tue May 28, 2019 1:10 pm

Many MMO's and other games use cutscenes to help tell a story. Is SoH planning to do this?

One of my complaints about the old game is the stories are not featured very much. There are very few cutscenes or narration, and unless you take the time to read the tiny text bubbles, you don't even know what story you are in.
2019: 42 years on the Net.

GladDog

Re: Cutscenes to tell a story

Postby GladDog » Tue May 28, 2019 10:13 pm

This was discussed a while back. The team does want cut scenes, voice acting, etc... but it is expensive. The game won't release with these things, but if the game has a large enough fan base they will put them in. Large enough does not mean a million subscribers. If they can get in the 50k range for subs, the potential for a lot of things opens up.
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

Actjcksn

Postby Actjcksn » Tue May 28, 2019 11:06 pm

How about cut scenes consisting of only game play elements, sort of like the videos currently created. Text bubbles could be used instead of voice overs to cut costs, at least until voice actors can be afforded. Then the only cost would be time.
(aka GregoryKC66)
3) Expect the Plan to go off the rails...
4) ...Throw away the Plan

Gerald_Deemer

Postby Gerald_Deemer » Wed May 29, 2019 4:06 am

I love it when games do that. Showing your created character in a cut scene. A simple sub-line text instead of voice acting or speech bubbles would be totally satisfying.
I hope we can get such cut scenes later when the story dlcs come out.
A game’s graphics are meant to appeal. A game’s mechanics are meant to make you feel amazing or challenged. A game’s sound effects are supposed to add life. But a good game’s UI is meant to disappear!

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Wed May 29, 2019 5:49 am

How about cut scenes consisting of only game play elements, sort of like the videos currently created. Text bubbles could be used instead of voice overs to cut costs, at least until voice actors can be afforded. Then the only cost would be time.
CoH did that.
From Frostfire to everything else. Sounds good.
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

All Ship of Heroes Videos

IN BLACKEST DAY, IN BRIGHTEST NIGHT,
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE.
LET THOSE WHO POST THEIR SPAM-ISH SLIGHT
FACE THE POWER OF ACE'S MIGHT!

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Wed May 29, 2019 8:14 am

Honestly, there would likely be a long line of fans of the game ready to help with voice acting - me included. I've discussed this with Consultant as well. If things go well he may actually give this a trial, giving out some in-game stuff as compensation while testing. And if the game is successful enough and the talker is talented enough, who knows what may happen?
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Wed May 29, 2019 8:20 am

You guys are right -- cutscenes would be awesome, and we have actually made some progress in planning for them, codewise.

It is so tempting (as a developer) to promise stuff like cutscenes that will make the game better, but we really are on a budget so cutscenes may need to wait a while. However, eventually...yes.

brando81373

Postby brando81373 » Wed May 29, 2019 10:41 am

Thanks for the honest reply. CoX did not originally have cut scenes, but when they arrived they did add alot (the first time I saw Ghost Widow say my characters name in a cut scene was awesome!). Cut scenes with comic bubbles would be fine with me.

Von

Postby Von » Thu May 30, 2019 2:39 pm

Honestly, there would likely be a long line of fans of the game ready to help with voice acting - me included. I've discussed this with Consultant as well. If things go well he may actually give this a trial, giving out some in-game stuff as compensation while testing. And if the game is successful enough and the talker is talented enough, who knows what may happen?
Awesomesauce.
You can run, but you'll just die tired.

The Livid Wraith

Postby The Livid Wraith » Thu May 30, 2019 5:57 pm

This was discussed a while back. The team does want cut scenes, voice acting, etc... but it is expensive. The game won't release with these things, but if the game has a large enough fan base they will put them in. Large enough does not mean a million subscribers. If they can get in the 50k range for subs, the potential for a lot of things opens up.
I think this is the best way to handle it. I want cutscenes and voice acting as well. It's not that I have any problem reading walls of text (I'm an oldschool 8-bit era gamer. Text was the only way to tell the story back then), but now that we live in the 21st Century developers can use cutscenes and voice acting to help gamers.

Return to “General Discussion”