What kind of pay model would you prefer?

1. Monthly fee - 15 $ / 14 Euros - all dlc included, additional monthly goodies
62%
2. Buying the game full prize - 70 $ / 70 Euros - all dlc included
No votes
3. Buying the standard game - 30 $ / 30 Euros - dlc not included, buy separate
19%
4. Free to play - minimum core game - 0 $ / 0 Euros - just 2 playable Archetypes, decreased level cap, no dlc
4%
5. Premium lifetime- all included - 400 $ / 400 Euros - all dlc included, monthly goodies
8%
6. Other suggestion. Post it here please.
8%

Total votes: 26

Gerald_Deemer

Postby Gerald_Deemer » Thu May 02, 2019 1:22 pm

Of course all of these suggestions presume an ingame shop where you can buy charakter slots, costume pieces, consumer goods and so on which is described as "monthly goodies" in the possible answers above.
A game’s graphics are meant to appeal. A game’s mechanics are meant to make you feel amazing or challenged. A game’s sound effects are supposed to add life. But a good game’s UI is meant to disappear!

GladDog

Re: What kind of pay model would you prefer?

Postby GladDog » Thu May 02, 2019 1:47 pm

Definitely #1. There are a lot of distinct advantages to having monthly sub fees. Also, the dev team has stated repeatedly that there will be no lifetime options. Also, they do not want free to play as an option. Maybe a long ways down the road, but not for a good while...

Paying for 3 months at a time, 6 months at a time and annually (with appropriate discounts) is being considered as well.
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

olepi

Postby olepi » Thu May 02, 2019 3:04 pm

#1 is the normal preferred option.

However, if given the chance to buy a lifetime account for $400, I would do that. I played in the beta for LoTRO and bought a lifetime when it launched. That has worked out very well.
2020: 43 years on the Net.

Odee

Postby Odee » Fri May 03, 2019 6:44 am

I choose a combination of 1 & 3. Buying the standard game - 30 $ / 30 Euros - dlc is included, with $15 monthly subscription.
Rah-rah Ree! Kick 'em in the Knee!
Rah-rah Rose! Punch 'em in the Nose!
Rah-rah Ralls! Kick 'em in the other Knee!

Blaze Rocker

Postby Blaze Rocker » Fri May 03, 2019 7:26 am

GladDog
Paying for 3 months at a time, 6 months at a time and annually (with appropriate discounts) is being considered as well.
This.
Although I chose Number 1, discounts for multiple months at a time is my preferred method of payment. The dev team is also right not to sell lifetime subs. Maybe do a few give-aways for special lifetime sub activation codes at game/electronics shows or for some other special events but these should be incredibly limited in number. As long as there is a cash-shop for fluff and stuff then between 5 and 10 lifetime accounts won't make too much difference in the long run.
When you defund the police, the terrorists win.

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Fri May 03, 2019 8:31 am

The currently preferred business model is free to acquire, sub to play. So, if you want to play you need to pay your first month subscription up front. There are plans to have discounts for buying bulk months, although the team is not set in stone what it will be. Most likely it will be something like 11% off for buying three months ($39.99), 16% off for buying 6 months (74.99) and 19% off for 12 months ($144.99) All prices in USD, since that's all I know! :D

There is the possibility of founders packs as well. Probably something like $19.99 including 1 month and stuff such as a character slot and dust, $39.99 including 2 months and stuff, $59.99 including 3 months and stuff, and $79.99 including 4 months and stuff. Maybe even a super uber elite $99.99 pack? Well, that's quite a ways in the future, and we will have to wait to see what the final solution is.

There won't be ongoing free trials. Most likely free trials will be scheduled, maybe from 6 pm EST Friday to 2 am Monday twice a month. While this will make it a little tougher to get new people to try the game, it will go a long ways to keeping the community trouble free. There may also be free trial weeks that are given to existing players to hand out to their friends.

Once they have a cash shop, trials and giveaway months will probably be in there.
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

drbuzzard

Postby drbuzzard » Fri May 03, 2019 8:47 am

I like option 1. I've never seen free to play be particularly good for the community in a game.

I can see why lifetime subscriptions are a bad thing also, since they require good management of that money to make it last, which isn't necessarily easy.

Apparition

Postby Apparition » Fri May 03, 2019 10:47 am

Option #1 all the way. Free-to-play creates a horrible "community," and lifetime subscriptions isn't a sustainable business model. Look at The Lord of the Rings Online. The hardcore Tolkien fans all bought lifetime subscriptions, so the publisher had to add a bunch of microtransactions later on to keep funding the game.

TheAmazingFezz

Postby TheAmazingFezz » Fri May 03, 2019 12:34 pm

In order for a game to really work as free-to-play it needs to be designed from the beginning with the intent. SOH has been designed with a subscription in mind and trying to spam together a FTP model after the fact is going to produce an unsatisfactory product for everyone involved.

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Fri May 03, 2019 5:35 pm

Exactly. We won't be giving a free to play option, although the chance to try to game for a short time will be on offer, in all likelhood.

Hadder

Postby Hadder » Mon May 06, 2019 12:56 pm

I think 3 or a hybrid of 3 would be a good model.

3: B2P (Buy to Play)

I like the B2P model with DLC extra so I can buy whatever DLC I liked.

Why?

I have lost count of the number of times I've seen DLC come out in games that I had no interest in and would rather skip but it was part of a "Season Pass" or something like that.

Example: The Division 1 DLC Underground, which was group only elite content. I felt like I wasted money paying for that in my DLC Bundle.

3 Hybrid 1: B2P + Old DLC - Latest DLC

You buy the game and build on the value of your game pack by bundling in old DLC for free whenever new (paid) DLC comes out.

Why?

First, It kinda hits both groups of players: those willing or able to pay right away and those that are too cheap or can't afford to buy the new DLC.

Second, your game becomes more attractive over time to new players. Instead of just buying the Core Game and having new players factoring in the cost of buying all the DLC after buying the core game, you get the core game plus whatever bundles you have minus the latest DLC.

Example: Guild Wars 2 uses this model and it has pulled in quite a few friends of mine who didn't want to buy it before.

3 Hybrid 2: B2P + Monthly Sub

Perhaps B2P with a smaller monthly sub like $5 a month to "keep the lights on" would kinda work for me as well. Then, I could buy DLC that I liked as it became available.

Why?

Though I find $15 a month to be a common price point for most MMOs, I feel it is too steep. There is also this anxiety that comes along with subs where if I don't or can't play, I'm wasting money. Maybe I lose my job and can't afford to keep the sub going. That sorta thing.

Also, many of us, outside the US, have to deal with exchange rates. $15 USD is $20 a month in Canada. That makes me step back from subscription models from a lot of games unless they have a crap-load of content.
Hadder

Return to “General Discussion”