CoH greatness, one often overlooked thing done right

Major Victory

Re: CoH greatness, one often overlooked thing done right

Postby Major Victory » Wed May 22, 2019 3:36 pm

And having finally hit Faultline after so long and meeting the Canadian Mountie there and his backstory! Today, most people wouldn't get who he was a homage to but I loved it! Heck, even when the game ran a lot of folks might not have gotten that tip of a hat to a 90s TV show that only lasted three years. But even not knowing that, how they presented him was still loads of fun for the clueless.

And I still love finding the badge at the donut shop there too :lol:

Odee

Postby Odee » Thu May 23, 2019 10:40 am

And having finally hit Faultline after so long and meeting the Canadian Mountie there and his backstory! Today, most people wouldn't get who he was a homage to but I loved it! Heck, even when the game ran a lot of folks might not have gotten that tip of a hat to a 90s TV show that only lasted three years. But even not knowing that, how they presented him was still loads of fun for the clueless.

And I still love finding the badge at the donut shop there too :lol:
Here I thought he was Sgt. Preston of the Yukon from the 1955-58 series.
Rah-rah Ree! Kick 'em in the Knee!
Rah-rah Rose! Punch 'em in the Nose!
Rah-rah Ralls! Kick 'em in the other Knee!

JestersGhost

Postby JestersGhost » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:09 am

When i was playing on the new private server the last few days, i suddenly realized one thing that CoH did very differently then any othe MMO that i played so far. The world, the characters, the baddies... they are all kinda cheesy and cartoonish and often very exaggerated. And that is exactly how i personally like it in such a game.

CoH was a game where normal people could escape their real, complicated life to be a hero in a pretty simple world, where criminals are bad people and heroes usually are heroic. I know there are exceptions on both sides, but that was the norm. You didn't feel pity for "arresting" (haha) that guy about to steal the bag from that old lady. Those bad guys even said archetypical bad guy stuff when standing around.

The whole game was lighthearted, funny and not taking itself very seriously. I would love to have such an experience again in SoH. I think it's *very* easy to fall into the "seriousness" trap, but that isn't good for such a game.
Agreed - the light-hearted nature of a lot of CoH made it easier to play. There is definitely a place for dark and serious stuff for sure, but there's a limit to how much of that you can play through. Having light and simple sections of a game too give much needed variety.

By "simple" I mean no complicated moral decisions or considerations - like the OP said, the bad guys saying and doing cliche bad guy things means there's no quandry over whether doing the right thing. It's a nice basic good vs evil thing.

As others have said, the pacing of CoH was excellent - it introduced the more nuanced stories as you levelled up. Too much simplicity is just as wearing as not enough.

From what we've seen, Ship of Heroes has the potential for the same duality. A bright, optomistic future with bright colours gives us the cheery easy start, but the various enemy factions have lots of potential for darker storylines later on.
[ quantum sufficit / casual-tempest.net / My Combat Mechanics Thread ]

StalkerK86

Postby StalkerK86 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:12 pm

It's exacly what brought my interest to SoH; I did like CoH, or at least, I wanted to like it, because it had both grave flaws and awesome things like, well, the cheesy bad guy dialogues, super-powerful heroes, everything that makes a kid dream when he stumbles upon his first superhero comic or cartoon.
And now, there's an opportunity to have this, but even better, so I've got rather high expectations for this game... I do hope it'll be a better CoH!

Return to “General Discussion”