CoH greatness, one often overlooked thing done right

Pyrion

CoH greatness, one often overlooked thing done right

Postby Pyrion » Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:14 am

When i was playing on the new private server the last few days, i suddenly realized one thing that CoH did very differently then any othe MMO that i played so far. The world, the characters, the baddies... they are all kinda cheesy and cartoonish and often very exaggerated. And that is exactly how i personally like it in such a game.

CoH was a game where normal people could escape their real, complicated life to be a hero in a pretty simple world, where criminals are bad people and heroes usually are heroic. I know there are exceptions on both sides, but that was the norm. You didn't feel pity for "arresting" (haha) that guy about to steal the bag from that old lady. Those bad guys even said archetypical bad guy stuff when standing around.

The whole game was lighthearted, funny and not taking itself very seriously. I would love to have such an experience again in SoH. I think it's *very* easy to fall into the "seriousness" trap, but that isn't good for such a game.

Consultant

Re: CoH greatness, one often overlooked thing done right

Postby Consultant » Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:34 am

I think this is a good insight.

Do others want to suggest how to make this happen in soH? More perspectives are always good.

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:58 am

Me: “My god! What did you just do to that man?”
Pyroman: “He was a purse snatcher, I simply effected an arrest.”
Me: “You burned him until he passed out from the pain.”
Pyroman: “Fear not citizen, soon he will be teleported to a holding cell and given all the care a hardened criminal such as him deserves.”
Me: “He’s still burning...”
Pyroman: “Thank you for noticing, I recently enhanced my powers, My flames now burn hotter and last longer.”
Woman: “Oh thank you for saving me Pyroman.”
Pyroman: “ You are most welcome Citizen. The flames of justice will always burn on the side of righteousness.”
Me: ”And continue to burn...”
Pyroman: “There you see he’s been teleport to a police holding center.”
Me: “or a mortuary...”
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

All Ship of Heroes Videos

IN BLACKEST DAY, IN BRIGHTEST NIGHT,
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE.
LET THOSE WHO POST THEIR SPAM-ISH SLIGHT
FACE THE POWER OF ACE'S MIGHT!

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:03 am

You are right pyrion. Whatever they did they hit the perfect storm I loved the over the top stuff.

Pyrion

Postby Pyrion » Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:19 am

Me: “My god! What did you just do to that man?”
Pyroman: “He was a purse snatcher, I simply effected an arrest.”
Me: “You burned him until he passed out from the pain.”
Pyroman: “Fear not citizen, soon he will be teleported to a holding cell and given all the care a hardened criminal such as him deserves.”
Me: “He’s still burning...”
Pyroman: “Thank you for noticing, I recently enhanced my powers, My flames now burn hotter and last longer.”
Woman: “Oh thank you for saving me Pyroman.”
Pyroman: “ You are most welcome Citizen. The flames of justice will always burn on the side of righteousness.”
Me: ”And continue to burn...”
Pyroman: “There you see he’s been teleport to a police holding center.”
Me: “or a mortuary...”
I honestly laughed out loud... Thanx for that.

bamiller72

Postby bamiller72 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:36 pm

Can't take credit for it but my all time favorite COH Video...You can probably skip to about 1:45

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXpfI6o ... D129B7008E

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:46 pm

Hah

I must’ve seen something similar way back then.

olepi

Postby olepi » Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:04 pm

Comic book heroes are over the top. When they punch someone, it's not just a "punch", it's more like "KABLOWEE!"

CoH had that feeling. Explosions and powers were over the top. I call it the "fireworks effect". There was so much going on, that your brain was overpowered with stimulus. Almost absurd, and that made it fun.

As an elec blaster, I could throw the Ball, which would do several things: explode in a blast, stun the group, and the group also quivered and shook while the effect lasted. As an ice/ice blaster, I could use Frost Breath and Ice Storm stacked; it was very humorous to see the mobs running full speed, at 1mph, trying to escape :)

It is this over the top, almost absurd, quality that made it a lot of fun.
2019: 42 years on the Net.

brando81373

Postby brando81373 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:27 pm

I always loved the npc dialogue as you walked by, it was often funny. They were often very resilient considering the amount of dangers in the city. Good natured fun banter from the NPCs helps keep the game more fun. I also like silver age comics, so keeping the tone of those would be fun (the tone but with modern ideas)

Itlandm

Postby Itlandm » Mon May 20, 2019 1:19 pm

I certainly preferred the early-made zones over New And Darker Astoria and the Incarnate Trials and those things. I felt things got a bit dark and edgy for my tastes. So yeah, I'm on board with this one. I mean, there were some nightmare stuff in the early game as well, like the Vahzilok. But their bizarre dialog helped defuse some of it. Plus you could get a controller to make them run in and explode among their own, always great fun to watch!

Dying Breath

Postby Dying Breath » Mon May 20, 2019 2:05 pm

I certainly preferred the early-made zones over New And Darker Astoria and the Incarnate Trials and those things. I felt things got a bit dark and edgy for my tastes. So yeah, I'm on board with this one. I mean, there were some nightmare stuff in the early game as well, like the Vahzilok. But their bizarre dialog helped defuse some of it. Plus you could get a controller to make them run in and explode among their own, always great fun to watch!
Or make a mortificator kill one of the minions, rez him and then kill him again...

Major Victory

Postby Major Victory » Tue May 21, 2019 2:19 pm

And having played on Halcyon, now Reunion the EU server, for the last month or so, the other big thing was how detailed their backstories to the adventure arcs were! I had totally forgotten that! Sure, you can blast your way through the levels fairly quickly, but in doing so and ignoring all that stuff, you totally lost the flavor of the heroes that came before and the reasons and motivation of the supervillains. Whereas taking your time to actually pay attention to that sort of stuff is a big plus right there.

I'm going through the Shooting Star arcs and am amazed at all the backstory detail there is. I really hope that kind of thing sticks around in SOH as well.

Plus all the side comments by all the wandering bystanders and those being mugged is beyond being such a HOOT!!!! :lol:

I am currently playing The Fighting Yank on the server [say "Hi" if you see me] and he is a fire/fire tank. One of the things I would love to see pop up in that game and in SOH as well, is some random bystander or policeman coming near me and asking me politely to turn off my fire aura, "as it is causing Folks' clothes and valuable papers to catch on fire. We Can't Have That, Don't Cha Know, Sir!"
or words to that effect.

Or some equivalent of a motorcycle cop come cruising by as the hero dashes down the street and reminds said hero that there is a speed limit on the street.

Those little things are what made the game so special. Without them, SOH won't be nearly as good even if it is using better graphics.

gemini

Postby gemini » Wed May 22, 2019 6:36 am

There was a little less cheese as you leveled up - stuff on PI / Praetorean earth blue missions.

Endgame Incarnate DA / save destroyed Praetorean earth missions were SUPER SRS.

Still some humor though (watch the opening cutscene of the Behavior Adjustment Facility trial, Mother Mayhem is in full ham & cheese mode.)

I think early missions, for sure, should lean into the hamminess a bit more, you're a novice hero. You aren't saving the world / ship.

At higher levels things should feel more threatening, but humor shoudl still be a part of it.

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Wed May 22, 2019 8:10 am

I concur Gemini. Very well stated

Cheesy

Postby Cheesy » Wed May 22, 2019 11:29 am

Spot on!

The cheesyness I adore. The freakshow with TV for heads. The trolls.

The missions had alot of tonge in cheek humour. The cartoon nature and 90s graphics had a real charm.

Since the coh servers came back I've had a blast. I just adore everything about it.

Ship of heroes has the same spirit about it that gets me excited if they can get some humor in there and some old school style... I'll be I heaven!
Unoriginal since 2005 (coh issue 5)...

Cheesy from Defiant.

Return to “General Discussion”