Power Bar UI Resizing and Customization

Hadder

Power Bar UI Resizing and Customization

Postby Hadder » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:37 am

Hi All,

Wow, it's been awhile since I posted on here. I was going to continue this discussion in the existing UI thread but it is locked. I had questions and suggestions concerning parts of the UI customizing featured in the recent newsletter.

I'm a web designer and recently moved into UX/UI Design. I'm not knowledgeable in game development of UI so I'm unsure of the technical limitations with the changes featured in the latest newsletter.

1. Is there a reason why the power bars are not customize-able in shape? They appear to be just movable. I believe I discussed this and asked the question in the previous UI thread regarding optional configurations for UI. I was not sure if it was lost in translation or just not possible.

2. Can we get a lock icon on the power bars or is there a universal lock somewhere? I'd hate to accidentally move a bar when I'm frantically trying to survive a boss battle and avoid dying :D It would be nice to just unlock one specific bar and move it fast instead of unlocking everything.

Here is what I was referring to...

Hadder

Consultant

Re: Power Bar UI Resizing and Customization

Postby Consultant » Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:25 pm

Good ideas. But I do not think the UI thread is locked. There is a 5-minute time limit between posts for new posters. We had to install that because of trolls.

So feel free to try again on the UI thread.

Hadder

Postby Hadder » Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:41 pm

Good ideas. But I do not think the UI thread is locked. There is a 5-minute time limit between posts for new posters. We had to install that because of trolls.

So feel free to try again on the UI thread.
Hey there, I'm sure it's locked. It says:

"Ship of Heroes Current Game UI | We need your help!"
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.

I figured because it was 2017, it was just locked from age. :D
Hadder

Dying Breath

Postby Dying Breath » Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:00 pm

Consultant is speaking of this thread, which is where discussion of the most recent newsletter is underway.

Hadder

Postby Hadder » Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:20 pm

Consultant is speaking of this thread, which is where discussion of the most recent newsletter is underway.
Oh boy, so there was another one. Got it! Should I just delete this post above or leave it?
Hadder

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:30 pm

LOL

I was scratching my head trying to figure out why a thread was locked and why it didn't show me it was locked.
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

Hadder

Postby Hadder » Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:38 pm

LOL

I was scratching my head trying to figure out why a thread was locked and why it didn't show me it was locked.
I was trying to search for "UI" but there were too many instances of "ui" lol
Hadder

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:32 pm

Haddar, I sent your post with the pcitures to two of our devs The ones working on UI) and they like your ideas.

Thanks.

Hadder

Postby Hadder » Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:50 am

Haddar, I sent your post with the pcitures to two of our devs The ones working on UI) and they like your ideas.

Thanks.
Thanks so much for that! :o

I didn't expect it to go THAT far. I just wanted to throw the idea out there to give options. I wasn't sure if it was even doable or would create a headache for the devs. At best, I was aiming to inspire.
Hadder

pearbear

Postby pearbear » Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:42 am

This is great and I actually have come to expect that kind of retooling of power trays - I have a Razer Naga mouse which has thumb keys arranged 3 columns x 4 rows and there is a Razer Naga WoW add-on which allows you to change the 12 column x 1 row power tray to any combination so I arrange it 3 x 4 to match the physical layout. It also lets you adjust transparency and scale. This sort of stuff is really expected these days.

Hadder

Postby Hadder » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:47 am

This is great and I actually have come to expect that kind of retooling of power trays - I have a Razer Naga mouse which has thumb keys arranged 3 columns x 4 rows and there is a Razer Naga WoW add-on which allows you to change the 12 column x 1 row power tray to any combination so I arrange it 3 x 4 to match the physical layout. It also lets you adjust transparency and scale. This sort of stuff is really expected these days.
Another wonderful thing about this, is that only "Resize" needs to be translated into other languages. The drop down menu is all numbers requiring no translation (that I'm aware of). Also, the devs could add more combinations whenever they feel like it and simply add/change the dimensions to the drop down. If they need to remove one of the combos, the option to change it can be removed quickly from the drop down.

I think I added all I could think of except 2 x 12 which I did not show here because of lack of space.

I also had an alternate design where the numbers under each power rested on top of the lower portion of the icon instead of outside it, making these even smaller. But, that would mean adding the numbers on top of the pretty power icons and I'm unsure people would like that. Also, you would have to make sure the numbers worked on every possible combinations of colours from the icons; though, a drop shadow on them might work or a semi-transparent bar across the bottom. Even then, the - and = would be hard to read unless you increase the size of these fonts, I think.

I suspect the devs might add countdown timers or some kind of effect on top of these icons when they are on cooldown.

Here you can see how smaller the toolbars are when you drop the numbers inside the icon area but, like I said above, it can cause visibility issues, not to mention that the icon space might be reserved for cooldown timer effects.

Hadder

Return to “General Discussion”