Secret real COH server has been active since 2012/2013

Itlandm

Re: Secret real COH server has been active since 2012/2013

Postby Itlandm » Sat May 04, 2019 7:13 am

I am also worried that new players that get roped into AE get a distorted idea of the game. There used to be a lot of great missions in AE that people had put a lot of work into, but whenever I joined an AE group, it consisted of a limited number of archetypes and power sets (usually fire tanker and fire kin, back when I tried it) burning through large crowds of high-XP mobs that did little damage. Mission objectives were meaningless or ignored, and then you did it all over and over again, watching the levels roll by. I think I would have gone back to your average elf game pretty soon if this was how I perceived City of Heroes.

So I can totally see the idea of making entry to AE available only at a certain level or to players who already have a character on a certain level. Although setting a hard XP/time cap not exceeding the average for dev-made missions would also discourage the exploits and hopefully returning AE to its original purpose of unleashing the creativity of players in terms of lore, not in terms of exploiting the system. Or you could have virtual levels in the AE, returning the player to their original level when they left (but remembering it when they return). That would be kind of meta, I suppose, as I played CoH for all its years of existence and still can't fly in Real Life...

Blaze Rocker

Postby Blaze Rocker » Sat May 04, 2019 7:17 am

I'm hearing a couple of different complaints about the COH AE system:

1. Other players are having fun their way, and not my way, and this is bad because they are not available to join my non-AE team or task force.
Thank you for mentioning Task Forces. I forgot about the impact AE had on recruiting for TFs and trials.

There was always the risk of wanting that one specific TF or trial badge and having to spend 25-45 minutes, or longer, just to get a team together. I remember one time I tried for over an hour to get a TF or trial team together and I finally had to give up because no one was interested. Once AE was introduced recruiting became even tougher for anything requiring over two hours of dedicated time. Fortunately, things did improve in later years.

When you really want that special badge and your playtime is limited, as is often the case with many people having families of their own, the last thing you want to do is waste your time when you could be doing something more productive.
When you defund the police, the terrorists win.

Gilbegger

Postby Gilbegger » Sat May 04, 2019 9:43 pm

AE missions shouldnt give exp...period. If you play those missions it should be to experience someone's creativity . There are a lot of players with great ideas. They have created interesting story lines / missions that should be used in game.

That is my opinion.

I saw the game decline sharply (again...in my opinion ) when AE was introduced. Honestly...what % would you guys place on the main use behind these AE missions were?.. I would say 75% were used to power level players.

My question is to the developers. What do you want the AE missions to be used for in Ship of Heroes?

I am assuming with these posts that you are planning a type of AE Player mission creation system.

Odee

Postby Odee » Sun May 05, 2019 12:10 pm

1. Other players are having fun their way, and not my way, and this is bad because they are not available to join my non-AE team or task force.

2. Other players are using AE as a powerleveling exploit, or perhaps only running one mission over and over again, so they lack the skills to play the game well, when they emerge from AE.

Really, complaint number 2 is a much stronger complaint, since it violates the reasonable expectations that any player should have of his colleagues in the game, at least at high levels.

Did I miss a major failing of the AE system?
The AE's XP system is broken in COH 1.2 aka Free IP today. It didn't used to be exploitable. That said, I think they are putting a fix in to give lower XP as was mentioned for SOH.

Now I hope the SOH XP system is at least close to, if not the same as XP would be street fighting, But please do not make the XP in and AE like setting, higher.
Rah-rah Ree! Kick 'em in the Knee!
Rah-rah Rose! Punch 'em in the Nose!
Rah-rah Ralls! Kick 'em in the other Knee!

Apparition

Postby Apparition » Mon May 06, 2019 10:33 am

2. Other players are using AE as a powerleveling exploit, or perhaps only running one mission over and over again, so they lack the skills to play the game well, when they emerge from AE.

Really, complaint number 2 is a much stronger complaint, since it violates the reasonable expectations that any player should have of his colleagues in the game, at least at high levels.

Did I miss a major failing of the AE system?
No. #2 nails it.

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Mon May 06, 2019 1:12 pm

I am neither pro or agin' power leveling. I've done it before, and it is fun for about 3 character's worth. Then you find yourself wanting to actually play the game.

In CoH I met one person that leveled from 1-50 in 2.5 hours. Of course that person did not understand the nuances of their character, but honestly, CoH ain't rocket science. As long as they have a basis in MMORPGs and have played any character at least into the 30s and put any kind of attention into how to play the character, they will be adequate. Maybe not cutting edge, but adequate.

In CoH, I did a number of tests and found that a typical character takes about 250 hours to level cap assuming about half solo and half playing on teams. So a character that PL's, whether by AE or Dreck type mission, has a lot of hours to fine tune their character. That is time where they can earn their IOs to develop into a top character. So I do not buy into the 'useless 50' diatribe. Someone that jumps into the game and immediately PLs is quite rare, as CoH is a game that most people want to actually play.

With all of the 2XP weekends, XP boosts and fast leveling tools that are in the private servers right now, that you could play missions, street sweep and a few TFs and be at 50 in under 150 hours. That is not much slower than non-AE power leveling. The PS's have cut AE XP in half, and I expect they will make that 25% soon. So those dastardly merely adequate players should be gone very soon!

My personal preference for fast leveling is the Atlas Sewer Trial. You play your character for about 3 or so hours and you are at 22. You've played enough to be more than merely adequate with your character, you are high enough level to get SOs, and you have enough powers and slots to be relatively fearsome. And, if you think the character sux, it did not take you much time to figure it out! :D
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

Gilbegger

Postby Gilbegger » Mon May 06, 2019 8:18 pm

Yes.. I think i was a little hasty with my condemnation of AE power levelers. How other people play has no impact on my game play whatsoever. I had a hard time finding groups while everyone was in the AE system. But that was near the end...and I was red side. All of these things together made it hard to find groups, not just AE gameplay.

You can earn endgame IOs through the AE system? (Luck of the Gambler , Pacing of the Turtle, ect)

Odee

Postby Odee » Mon May 06, 2019 9:53 pm

Power Leveling? No, sir. Don't like it. :)
Rah-rah Ree! Kick 'em in the Knee!
Rah-rah Rose! Punch 'em in the Nose!
Rah-rah Ralls! Kick 'em in the other Knee!

Dying Breath

Postby Dying Breath » Mon May 06, 2019 10:37 pm

Yes.. I think i was a little hasty with my condemnation of AE power levelers. How other people play has no impact on my game play whatsoever. I had a hard time finding groups while everyone was in the AE system. But that was near the end...and I was red side. All of these things together made it hard to find groups, not just AE gameplay.

You can earn endgame IOs through the AE system? (Luck of the Gambler , Pacing of the Turtle, ect)
AE awarded (awards?) tickets that you could spend on random rolls for recipes in one of three categories: bronze, silver or gold. Most of the highly desirable stuff was in gold, but there were a few gems that could be found in the other categories as well. Note that each individual recipe was assigned a category, so Miracle: +Recovery was gold, while Miracle: End/Heal was bronze (I think - been a while). Purple ultra-rare recipes were not available from AE.

Gilbegger

Postby Gilbegger » Tue May 07, 2019 4:07 am

Thank you Dying Breath . I wasn't sure what drops/rewards were available through the AE system other than exp.

I played AE whenever my son said "wow..this story is great..you have to play this one with me!!" Other than that I think I played maybe a hand full of missions.

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:55 am

They have all of the old character data too. . .
No one is going to see the old character data on the Homecoming servers. There is a lot of personal information tied up in that data, and even though most of it is old, NCsoft probably won't keep turning a blind eye to the private servers if that data is used.

I do want to state that even though it seems that NCsoft does not care about the private servers, don't think that they don't plan to say something about this. The guy running Homecoming was very hard on NCsoft after they closed the CoH servers and probably cost them a lot of NA/ EU money. Even if they are allowing the servers to run, don't think they won't become very loud if any activity that could cause them the slightest bit of trouble happens.

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:22 am

Just as my personal opinion, I do not know what it means that NC Soft has not come out and made a statement about the private servers. Looking at the Massively Overpowered articles, it seems as though maybe more than 100,000 individuals are playing with NC Soft's IP, and the company is not getting paid. Perhaps more significantly, NC Soft is not getting credit for letting the community have some fun without making a scene.

I hope they let this go on -- the community is having fun. In which case they deserve public credit for this decision. But I'm not playing on private servers myself and I do not advise others to play on them until NC Soft speaks up.

I'm concerned that as a very large firm, NC Soft might just be taking a while to organize its response. Just letting the community use its IP, without saying anything either way, has implications for other IP that NC Soft owns, so their eventual response might not be driven solely by considerations around COH.

Calibre

Postby Calibre » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:05 am

Hey all,

I don't post much but I've been following SoH from inception and can say truly, I'm seriously going to make this game, my game.

However,

I am trying this 'secret' CoH server. *meh* It'll do until either SoH comes out or something else can take up my missing online time.

I've found that my memories of playing CoH aren't quite meshing with the nostalgia I seem to have lingering from the past. I'm not enjoying the old game as much as I thought I would.

Good thing SoH is coming up ;)

Cal

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:33 am

I agree. The CoH private servers are just helping me kill time until SoH goes to Supporters beta. Once that starts, I doubt I will go back to a 15 year old game built on a 20 year old graphics engine.

Most people either deify or villainize old games that they have not played in a long time - neither is right. I thoroughly enjoyed CoH when it was live, but I am most definitely ready to move on.

lunawisp

Postby lunawisp » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:14 am

Against my better judgement, I logged on to one of the servers and made a few characters to play with. It was fun for a while but it just seems so dated now.

One thing that *does* work very well on CoH though is the snappiness of the controls. The characters respond almost instantly to any input, that gives a very nice feeling to the game. I don't know if it's possible to make Unreal Engine respond that rapidly to user input but I think it should be done if possible. Lots of modern games make you feel like you're attached to your character by rubber bands and it's not a nice feeling.
lunawisp was my Peacebringer in City of Heroes - she lives on in memory as my gaming id.
https://www.heroesin.space/ - A Blog About Super Heroes and Spaceships

Return to “General Discussion”