Secret real COH server has been active since 2012/2013

Consultant

Re: Secret real COH server has been active since 2012/2013

Postby Consultant » Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:10 pm

I'm not urging anyone to play on a private server with IP owned by NC Soft. That's just wrong.

I'm still hopeful that NC Soft will work something out...I love the idea of an NC Soft legacy server for old COH.

If a legal legacy server comes about, I'd love to see someone run an FPS meter on the old game and record the results, especially in something busy like a big mothership raid. I always felt that COH had pretty good FPS, except maybe in events like raids and invasions. But I never measured it, and now I'd like to know what the real benchmark is, with players using modern computers and the game hosted on modern servers.

So if the day arrives, please record and post!

Itlandm

Postby Itlandm » Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:52 pm

Me, I wonder why City of Heroes is so much more fun than Champions Online? Same genre, same studio, CO is newer. And yet people treat it like flat warm cola, while thousands line up to get into a pirate server for the older game.

What was the secret ingredient? Was it just the community? Many CoH players tried CO when their favorite game was shut down, but it seems that most moved on. I am not sure CO would lose its remaining players if CoH came back for real, I think to a large degree they are different people.

Hadder

Postby Hadder » Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:13 pm

Me, I wonder why City of Heroes is so much more fun than Champions Online? Same genre, same studio, CO is newer. And yet people treat it like flat warm cola, while thousands line up to get into a pirate server for the older game.

What was the secret ingredient? Was it just the community? Many CoH players tried CO when their favorite game was shut down, but it seems that most moved on. I am not sure CO would lose its remaining players if CoH came back for real, I think to a large degree they are different people.
There are likely lots of younger players coming up wanting these games as well.

I didn't get VERY deep into CoH. Champions Online was weird for me. All I can say is this... to me, there seemed to be far more "lore" in CoH than their was in CO. At least it felt that way to me.
Hadder

Eldryth

Postby Eldryth » Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:18 pm

Despite the similar setting and the same studio, CO wasn't similar to CoH at all. Can't really remember too much about it, but I don't think I even made it past a free trial before deciding I didn't care for it and it had none of CoH's appeal. Iirc it felt more like a typical WoW-style MMO but with somewhat better customization and a comic book setting. And DCUO was the same, if not more so since they just have each power type work like a standard MMO class with no mixing. Until Ship of Heroes and the other successors launch, there's no game that even tried to match CoH's strengths.

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:20 pm

I tried champions online as well. I hated it right from the get go. My character had this dark outline around it like it was in some comic book. Took several days for me to figure out that I could get rid of that.

Even after I got rid of the outline I just could not get into the game. It just felt different.
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

Itlandm

Postby Itlandm » Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:03 pm

Agree with the comic book thing. I think that was intentional, and it was not only the outline. I felt like I had been transported into a comic book, while in CoH I felt like superpowers had broken out into a real world, an alternate timeline to our own. Yes, graphics and sound were probably a big part of that; realism is not simply a matter of pixel density. (The pixel density improved later with the ultra settings.) But I wonder if there wasn't something else as well. Even though you saw a lot of comic book tropes, the world just felt more real, more alive, and there was an atmosphere for lack of a better word.

TheAmazingFezz

Postby TheAmazingFezz » Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:27 pm

Little bit of a lecture here--sorry.

I have a degree in leadership (feel free to mock me), and one of the most important things that an organization can ever have is culture. It is often a magical, elusive, and fragile thing. And there is never a recipe to create it. When you've got it, you must do everything to nurture because if you lose it, odds are you will never get it back. It isn't as simple as doing A + B and getting your C.

COH wasn't about fancy policies, techniques, graphics, gameplay (although those things can matter), COH achieved something beyond the sum of its parts. It achieved a positive culture and became something more.

SOH may achieve that.. and it may not. But the primary reason why someone like me is here is not because SOH looks like the next big shiny game but rather because it appears that it has a good chance of creating something magical, an amazing culture. But you never know.

Culture is a rare thing.

Itlandm

Postby Itlandm » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:42 am

I found it! The secret of City of Heroes is mine! MUAHAHAHAaa...

OK, I observed gameplay on the private server, and I read the broadcast box. (In old videos this is rarely possible, because of low resolution, or the footage is only from inside missions.) And I noticed something unusual: "Sewer team lf more", "Radio mish team lf more" - I saw almost none of what I was used to from other games: "Looking for Tank" "Looking for Healer" "Looking for 2 DPS". And that's when the voices in my head... that's when I realized what the secret ingredient was.
The dual-set archetypes.
Because of them, any archetype can benefit from teaming up with any other archetype (and sometimes even just its own). If you throw together a random team, it is almost certain that the various archetypes that randomly come together make up a viable combination. No Tankers? But we got a couple Scrappers and a Force field defender, so we are good to go. No Defender? We got a couple Controllers, so we are good to go. Certainly, there are certain combinations that are better for tackling high-difficulty content; but for your bread and butter mission, you can pick people from the phone book and you have a viable team, every time.

And this feeling, that you are welcome everywhere, that you can help anyone at any time, that creates a feeling you won't get anywhere else. You won't find a lot of teams "looking for any" elsewhere. No wonder people love the game so much and miss it so much. No wonder people feel like it is their home.

Feeling like a hero is not just a question of beating up the largest number of baddies. It is also the feeling of being able to help, no matter where, no matter who. We are heroes, this is what we do...

(Disclaimer: Actually playing on a pirate server may be illegal in some countries.)

TheAmazingFezz

Postby TheAmazingFezz » Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:27 pm

Lol, love the disclaimer.

Blaze Rocker

Postby Blaze Rocker » Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:55 pm

I found it! The secret of City of Heroes is mine! MUAHAHAHAaa...

OK, I observed gameplay on the private server, and I read the broadcast box. (In old videos this is rarely possible, because of low resolution, or the footage is only from inside missions.) And I noticed something unusual: "Sewer team lf more", "Radio mish team lf more" - I saw almost none of what I was used to from other games: "Looking for Tank" "Looking for Healer" "Looking for 2 DPS". And that's when the voices in my head... that's when I realized what the secret ingredient was.
The dual-set archetypes.
Because of them, any archetype can benefit from teaming up with any other archetype (and sometimes even just its own). If you throw together a random team, it is almost certain that the various archetypes that randomly come together make up a viable combination. No Tankers? But we got a couple Scrappers and a Force field defender, so we are good to go. No Defender? We got a couple Controllers, so we are good to go. Certainly, there are certain combinations that are better for tackling high-difficulty content; but for your bread and butter mission, you can pick people from the phone book and you have a viable team, every time.
I guess you didn't hang around long enough to see people forming respect trials. Those are a little different and on those there are times when just any old PUG team won't do.
And this feeling, that you are welcome everywhere, that you can help anyone at any time, that creates a feeling you won't get anywhere else.
Back on Protector server, in the old days, you could find that feeling pretty often. I'm sure there were plenty of times that a lot of us were fuming over our keyboards but we tried to promote a friendly social environment when possible.

I'm glad that many of you are having a good time on this private server. As much as I would like to join you I must decline at this time. I intend to wait-it-out and see where things go regarding the legality of its existence. I don't want to jump into this thing only to get the rug pulled out from under me by a C&D order. My withdrawal rebound just couldn't take the strain.
Best of luck to you all.
When you defund the police, the terrorists win.

Meridian

Postby Meridian » Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:26 pm

It's up and running and I'm playing it right now. all the feels and sounds are there. +3000 in game atm. very smooth play no lag.
I've also played with no lag but...that's in Outbreak.*
I don't have much time for MMO's right now, that's one reason I can be so patient with games like Ship of Heroes. :)

Note that there's a Save option so even if they have to reboot the servers or whatever you won't have to redo all your costume stuff again.

* Don't get me wrong, I've made time for CoH, but I spent so long in the character creator.
Then I had to remember how TF all the controls work, install my game pad, update my mouse buttons, all that crap.

I wish I'd never deleted my keybind files.

olepi

Postby olepi » Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:52 pm

"Back on Protector server, in the old days, you could find that feeling pretty often. "

Hooray for Protector! I played on Protector since the beginning. I can attest that the community there was great, especially in the early days.

I'm really hoping a legitimate and legal server comes out of all this. I'd love to play CoH again. But as a software professional, I can't afford to play on an illegal server.
2020: 43 years on the Net.

Itlandm

Postby Itlandm » Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:07 pm

I guess you didn't hang around long enough to see people forming respect trials. Those are a little different and on those there are times when just any old PUG team won't do.
Ah, the good old Respec trials. I used to help out with those, exemplaring as needed, even when I did not need to respec myself. If they were short on people, obviously - I would not take the place of someone who needed a respec. I don't remember running into archetype issues, but I may have been just lucky? The Incarnate trials were worse in that regard, but mostly because people who did them were pretty driven and wanted to do as many as possible in the shortest time possible for the rewards. You could definitely do harder content faster if you min-maxed your team as well as your character, but for ordinary missions we just picked up whoever happened to be looking, including theme characters that were optimized for role playing rather than for effectiveness in battle. (I played on Virtue a lot, the officially unofficial RP server.)

And on that note, it is now 27.04.2019 where I live, and soon elsewhere too. Happy CoH anniversary to everyone who comes from that game! It was a glorious time, may the future be even brighter.

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:59 pm

"Back on Protector server, in the old days, you could find that feeling pretty often. "

Hooray for Protector! I played on Protector since the beginning. I can attest that the community there was great, especially in the early days.

I'm really hoping a legitimate and legal server comes out of all this. I'd love to play CoH again. But as a software professional, I can't afford to play on an illegal server.
Protector had a wonderful community. they all pulled together like no other.
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

Odee

Postby Odee » Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:12 pm

Protector had a wonderful community. they all pulled together like no other.
Well Justice, and Virtue had some pretty great players as well, you schmuck.. hehehe ;)

* Is the community feeling there today? Yes, very much so.
* Are the pirates engaged in negotiations for the IP from NCSoft? Again, Yes, very much so, according to their forums.
* Will COH rise like the Phoenix from these negotiations? I certainly hope so!
* Will COH's resurrection keep me from subscribing to, and playing SOH? Oh HELL NO! ;)
Rah-rah Ree! Kick 'em in the Knee!
Rah-rah Rose! Punch 'em in the Nose!
Rah-rah Ralls! Kick 'em in the other Knee!

Return to “General Discussion”