Secret real COH server has been active since 2012/2013

Golden Ace

Re: Secret real COH server has been active since 2012/2013

Postby Golden Ace » Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:57 pm

Is SoH going to have the same problem? Can I create a character that would be recognized as Superman?
You cannot do that.
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:11 pm

OK, the soap opera seems to have cooled a bit. Now I find that I was looking forward to the daily releases of new information. I don't see any new news on the recovery of old COH today. Does anyone?

Apparition

Postby Apparition » Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:09 pm

OK, the soap opera seems to have cooled a bit. Now I find that I was looking forward to the daily releases of new information. I don't see any new news on the recovery of old COH today. Does anyone?
Tony Vazquez of the Titan Network announced tonight that they are in formal negotiations with NCSoft to open an official City of Heroes server.

Considering that we've heard this song and dance about seven times in the past seven years, and that (rightly or wrongly), Titan Network's reputation has been substantially damaged over the past several days, some people aren't taking the news too well.

Gamegod

Postby Gamegod » Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:21 am

What I'm getting from the discord and reddit is no matter the outcome of the so called negotiations with NCSoft. The work on the private servers will continue wholeheartedly.
Never say too much; always say enough. :roll:

Gamegod

Postby Gamegod » Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:29 am

BTW I played for 30+ hours over the weekend up until the time the plug was pulled on Monday it was pure heaven :D
Never say too much; always say enough. :roll:

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:57 am

It will be great if the old game comes back. Especially if NC Soft somehow enables the community to play again without legal constraints.

But honestly I would prefer if NC Soft themsleves put up a legacy server. I would be willing to bet that responsible volunteers could be found to act as customer service, at no cost to NC Soft.

Sadly I do not think that NC Soft would get much out of allowing private servers to run wild, unchecked, with their stolen IP. That sounds bad for them. At least to my ears. And it might not be the best solution for the community either.

I go back to my oft-repeated statement that we need to hear from NC Soft. What are they willing to do, if anything? Who are they willing to partner with in the community, if anyone? I'm always fascinated to hear that someone from the community has reached out to them, whether it is Nate or Tony or anyone else. But what I really want to hear is not what was said to NC Soft, but rather what did they say in response?

Hadder

Postby Hadder » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:50 am

I believe that if they want to protect their brand/IP, they need to act on it or they need to release the IP and code base for all to use.

So, pirated servers are not good.

You see many companies act on this stuff rather aggressively and fans get super angry about it but from a business perspective, it's a no-brainer. They need to avoid damage to their brand/IP and they don't want people who are not officially associated with the brand/IP, controlling it in any way since they do not represent the company.

It's also stealing, plain and simple.

P.S. I also think a lot of players get a thrill from being on a pirated server.
Hadder

Pyrion

Postby Pyrion » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:12 am

NCSoft is forced to act. The cat is out of the bag. The server sources can be downloaded, i actually saw where they are. Apparently you need to put some more work into the sources to establish a working server, but the basics are out.

So NCSoft basically has 3 choices:
1) Play Whack a mole and try to stop a landslide of servers popping up
2) Ignore the whole thing
3) Or somehow get involved and funnel the enthusiasm into a controllable environment

NCSoft saw what happened when they closed CoH. The outrage was all over the place, many people boycotting anything that NCSoft even touched. I don't thing they saw that coming. WIth strategy 1 they would just cement that image, even if it was totally in their right to do so.

I would have thought that they go for option 2. But apparently they are considering 3 now, maybe their reputation suddenly means something to them, i don't know. Or maybe they are really planning CoH 2.

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:23 am

NCSoft saw what happened when they closed CoH. The outrage was all over the place, many people boycotting anything that NCSoft even touched.
Guilty

I would have thought that they go for option 2. But apparently they are considering 3 now, maybe their reputation suddenly means something to them, i don't know. Or maybe they are really planning CoH 2.
I seriously doubt they are trying for a COH2 at this point. If they had we would’ve heard about it long before now and they wouldn’t have waited over six years.

The best thing for them is to realize that they need to save face and put the game out in maintenance mode. Make a big apology and put it out there for like 10 bucks a month because there’s never going to be an upgrade or update to it.

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:51 am

I agree with Ace. They cannot pursue the "strategy 2" because that establishes a precedent that anyone can loot their IP and do whatever they want with it. What does "ignoring it" in the case of COH imply for Guild Wars 2 or for their other games? Nothing good. Nothing they can live with.

In NC Soft's place the best thing to do is put up a legacy server at some kind of minimum cost, ask the community to provide its own CS and support, and then aggressively go after any infringement at all. That might include more than just the private servers, as SEGS and Paragon Chat are also using art assets, city maps, story, animations, music, etc., that NC Soft seems to own the rights to.

Not an elegant solution, but this might be something that NC Soft would actually want to do.

Itlandm

Postby Itlandm » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:51 am

Playing whack-a-server might be problematic seeing how many countries have subtly different IP legislation, typically in their own language. While almost all of these would absolutely forbid a public server with other people's property, lawyers can't just wing these things. They are traditionally more cautious than surgeons, and would need to locate the correct piece of legislation, understand all the nuances of it, and formulate a document that can't blow up in their face. Even here in Norway, where laws comply with international standards to a high degree, you would need to find and hire high-quality local lawyers with a specialty in Intellectual Property Law. And then wait. And wait some more.

I think the best bet for the return of CoH would be a change of guard at the top of NCSoft. I have no idea whether that has already happened. Going back on something you have already done is hard, but undoing something your predecessor has done is far easier, especially if they are not family. Whether it is setting up a maintenance-only server or selling the IP, there is definitely some money to be had.

TheAmazingFezz

Postby TheAmazingFezz » Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:42 pm

The drama is real, people. Keep it going.

All this needs is a sex scandal to make its journey complete. Or at least a movie star or two who bribed an Ncsoft official to get their kid into a private server.

Keep digging!!! The truth is out there.

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:43 pm

Lol. So true

A1fighter

Postby A1fighter » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:54 pm

Going into the realm of pure speculation here:

I remember while playing CoH that Marvel or DC or somebody was complaining that we could create a trademarked character, like Superman, in the game. There was a worry that NCSoft could be sued, and there was no way to prevent people from making trademarked-looking characters.

Maybe Marvel threatened to sue, and offered a cash settlement if CoH was closed down?

Is SoH going to have the same problem? Can I create a character that would be recognized as Superman?
DCUO players have characters recognized as Marvel, DBZ, WWE, etc on their forums and in-game. Nobody says a word. I feel like I am playing Marvel Universe Online or Anime Universe Online. You may like these topics.
https://forums.daybreakgames.com/dcuo/i ... st-3671732
Not even the half of it :lol:
https://forums.daybreakgames.com/dcuo/i ... uo.270072/
https://forums.daybreakgames.com/dcuo/i ... 518/page-8
Brazen

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:30 pm

I think that what happen with COH was before they figured out what they were going to do or how they were going to handle superhero MMO’s.

Return to “General Discussion”