Secret real COH server has been active since 2012/2013

Jasix

Re: Secret real COH server has been active since 2012/2013

Postby Jasix » Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:35 pm

The CoH Test server has beeni shut down due to a C&D sent by NCSoft. I had the honor to play some on the test server. It was great seeing hundreds of former CoH players creating new toons, running sewers, and playing missions. I made several characters and played for hours...more than I should have LOL! The original plan was to dump the Test server and open a Live server on the 27th, but as of now the entire game has once again been shut down. There is no ETA on when the game will come back again ynder SCORE. It was nice to actually play again instead of just doing Paragon Chat.... I felt like a hero again. This experience with the SCORE project has made me even more eager for SoH.
Original backer #122.

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:38 pm

I thought that I had posted these thoughts this morning, but apparently it did not go through.

When the news about Leandro's private server first broke I was stunned. Very quickly I asked all of our team, including our contractors and a couple of our previous contractors, if they had known that a private server existed or if they had played on it. None of us knew about it, and none of us ever played on it.

I also wanted to say that I did not play on the private server this weekend, which made it kind of a long weekend as, like all of you, I would love to play COH again. But I'm kind of a very visible figure in the community, and I was concerned that NC Soft had not yet been heard from.

Well, now they have been heard from.

I'm going to offer a word of advice to all of us -- let's not say or write things we might regret in the future. I have a feeling, which I've expressed before, that maybe there will be more shoes to drop in this whole saga of the private servers. What is it that Gandalf says? "Even the very wise cannot see all ends." I'm not a wizard, but I think we've waited quite a while for COH to return, and our situation is fundamentally better than it was three weeks ago. We now know that the server code, the characters and mission content, and perhaps even the old character data and files from our prior gameplay may exist out there.

Apparently we won't be playing COH next weekend. But things are changing rapidly. Let's exhale a couple of times and see what happens.

And for the crowd reading this post, I tell you that eventually SoH will rise.

Jasix

Postby Jasix » Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:08 pm

When you say eventually... I know you mean soon :) Beta is not that far off - heck we are 1/3rd of the way done with 2019 :)

I thought that I had posted these thoughts this morning, but apparently it did not go through.

When the news about Leandro's private server first broke I was stunned. Very quickly I asked all of our team, including our contractors and a couple of our previous contractors, if they had known that a private server existed or if they had played on it. None of us knew about it, and none of us ever played on it.

I also wanted to say that I did not play on the private server this weekend, which made it kind of a long weekend as, like all of you, I would love to play COH again. But I'm kind of a very visible figure in the community, and I was concerned that NC Soft had not yet been heard from.

Well, now they have been heard from.

I'm going to offer a word of advice to all of us -- let's not say or write things we might regret in the future. I have a feeling, which I've expressed before, that maybe there will be more shoes to drop in this whole saga of the private servers. What is it that Gandalf says? "Even the very wise cannot see all ends." I'm not a wizard, but I think we've waited quite a while for COH to return, and our situation is fundamentally better than it was three weeks ago. We now know that the server code, the characters and mission content, and perhaps even the old character data and files from our prior gameplay may exist out there.

Apparently we won't be playing COH next weekend. But things are changing rapidly. Let's exhale a couple of times and see what happens.

And for the crowd reading this post, I tell you that eventually SoH will rise.
Original backer #122.

Pyrion

Postby Pyrion » Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:17 pm

The server situation is unclear at the moment, but it looks like the panic server shut down was not really needed. NCSoft didn't complain yet, it was just a troll. The CoH reddit has more details.

It's possible that a server will go back online pretty soon.

A1fighter

Postby A1fighter » Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:34 pm

If damn near 20,000 players registered to play, NCSoft must be thinking, hmmmm :ugeek:

IP is a touchy & complicated subject.
https://www.mmobomb.com/news/rogue-city ... res-catch/
Perhaps this was before the shutdown.

If CoH really gathered that much traffic in a few days, it truly is the best superhero mmo ever created, & can easily stand with today's mmo. I had my doubts about that game. I did not believe it was as popular as the former players made it out to be. Guess it was.

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:49 pm

Again, this is a rollercoaster ride. I'm expecting a few more big ups and downs in the next few weeks.

One way or another, we need to hear from NC Soft.

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:56 pm

Again, this is a rollercoaster ride. I'm expecting a few more big ups and downs in the next few weeks.

One way or another, we need to hear from NC Soft.
agreed
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

A1fighter

Postby A1fighter » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:03 pm

NCSoft can play the hero, or the villain. The irony...

MrFreedom

Postby MrFreedom » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:04 pm

If damn near 20,000 players registered to play, NCSoft must be thinking, hmmmm :ugeek:

IP is a touchy & complicated subject.
https://www.mmobomb.com/news/rogue-city ... res-catch/
Perhaps this was before the shutdown.

If CoH really gathered that much traffic in a few days, it truly is the best superhero mmo ever created, & can easily stand with today's mmo. I had my doubts about that game. I did not believe it was as popular as the former players made it out to be. Guess it was.
They closed it down even though they were making a profit from the game. There are a lot of rumors out there. Marvel paid them, they wanted the server for other games, they were doing this and that.

I just hope NO ONE gets into trouble. But SoH, put the petal to the metal, it's time !!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) :D :D :D :D :D

TheAmazingFezz

Postby TheAmazingFezz » Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:29 pm

This has become the best soap opera of 2019. I can't wait till the next episode.

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:50 pm

Lol
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

Odee

Postby Odee » Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:09 pm

Why NCSoft doesn't sell the IP is beyond imagining! Are they that petty, and butthut in their Asian Business Honor to not let it go?

They get a couple million buck shot in the arm, and the buyer still has to update the character models, before really taking off. If they want a minimum 7 year run.
Rah-rah Ree! Kick 'em in the Knee!
Rah-rah Rose! Punch 'em in the Nose!
Rah-rah Ralls! Kick 'em in the other Knee!

A1fighter

Postby A1fighter » Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:35 pm

They must be planning a sequel or just plain hate you former CoH players lol. I say that because what they are doing makes little sense. Any other business would have sold that off, or at least, made a sequel.

Asian business honor? Is it more honorable to correct your mishaps, or bask in your failure by holding onto an emblem, or symbol of your failure that is CoH?

olepi

Postby olepi » Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:06 pm

Going into the realm of pure speculation here:

I remember while playing CoH that Marvel or DC or somebody was complaining that we could create a trademarked character, like Superman, in the game. There was a worry that NCSoft could be sued, and there was no way to prevent people from making trademarked-looking characters.

Maybe Marvel threatened to sue, and offered a cash settlement if CoH was closed down?

Is SoH going to have the same problem? Can I create a character that would be recognized as Superman?
2020: 43 years on the Net.

MrFreedom

Postby MrFreedom » Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:52 pm

Going into the realm of pure speculation here:

I remember while playing CoH that Marvel or DC or somebody was complaining that we could create a trademarked character, like Superman, in the game. There was a worry that NCSoft could be sued, and there was no way to prevent people from making trademarked-looking characters.

Maybe Marvel threatened to sue, and offered a cash settlement if CoH was closed down?

Is SoH going to have the same problem? Can I create a character that would be recognized as Superman?
Marvel sued and lost. DC gave them permission. Free advertisement as DC put it.

Return to “General Discussion”