Secret real COH server has been active since 2012/2013

GladDog

Re: Secret real COH server has been active since 2012/2013

Postby GladDog » Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:00 pm

From what has come out the past few days, the server code is ugly. It's a miracle that it's worked at all. You have to remember that work on City of Heroes began back in 2000, before Windows XP was even released. I've seen Microsoft SQL mentioned multiple times. That alone is a nightmare itself. To get it all working on newer hardware and newer software almost twenty years later...

No, it's time for something new, something modern that uses much more modern architectures and technologies. It's time for Ship of Heroes.
Matt Miller (Positron from the CoH dev team) called the code used for CoX a 'bowl of spaghetti' and said it was a nightmare to even do simple fixes. Every time they fixed one thing they broke three others. He said that to fix one thing with the CoH engine usually took 5-6 times as much work as something made with a mainstream game engine.

The amazing thing was that Jack Emmert thought that this engine was going to make them millions from licensing out...
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:07 pm

If the code is released I would be tempted to make my own one person micro server. Either login to, or remake Ace. Turn the taunt limit off and do a few dreck runs.

But without other people it will get stale fast
Invite me, I'll sit on the dock and leech XP from you :)

Seriously, I could host a 16 person server (I have plenty of PC but not enough internet bandwidth for much more) for kicks on the weekends. We could invite a few peeps in and do lots of crazy things! Dreck would just be the appetizer!

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:48 pm

If the code is released I would be tempted to make my own one person micro server. Either login to, or remake Ace. Turn the taunt limit off and do a few dreck runs.

But without other people it will get stale fast
Invite me, I'll sit on the dock and leech XP from you :)

Seriously, I could host a 16 person server (I have plenty of PC but not enough internet bandwidth for much more) for kicks on the weekends. We could invite a few peeps in and do lots of crazy things! Dreck would just be the appetizer!
lol

your're not a leach as long as you get me more mobs to play with.
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

All Ship of Heroes Videos

IN BLACKEST DAY, IN BRIGHTEST NIGHT,
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE.
LET THOSE WHO POST THEIR SPAM-ISH SLIGHT
FACE THE POWER OF ACE'S MIGHT!

TheAmazingFezz

Postby TheAmazingFezz » Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:57 pm

CoH was an amazing game.... it was an amazing experience.

But not only is it old now, but I am old now too. I was in my 20s when I played that game. Now I'm in my 40s and I'm not the same person I was back then. I will love the memories...

It's time for something new.

lividya

Postby lividya » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:23 pm

I'm sitting on paragon chat and reddit now. It seems the code is now out, although not the mission data base. From what little I can understand the server specs look a bit beyond a desktop machine, but it will be interesting to see what comes of this. I've always felt the first successor project to CoH with a server pretty much wins the game.

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:02 pm

well crap. was hoping you could run it on a desktop.

thank you lividya

pearbear

Postby pearbear » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:55 pm

To quote the great Miss Coco Peru, "This bothers me."

I'm angry at NC West Developers for releasing the game code to a secret society, and not to all of society at large. I would rather them have not released anything at all.

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:00 pm

I'm sitting on paragon chat and reddit now. It seems the code is now out, although not the mission data base. From what little I can understand the server specs look a bit beyond a desktop machine, but it will be interesting to see what comes of this. I've always felt the first successor project to CoH with a server pretty much wins the game.
What are the listed specs, lividya? Some of us have high end desktops or access to business level desktops. Obviously, I am one of them...

BTW, if the specs you saw seem really steep, I would be perplexed by that. The fastest thing available in 2011 was a 2nd gen 8 core Xeon CPU, on a motherboard that would support up to 64GB of RAM. The video does not matter on a game server. Tie that in with a RAID 5 array of say 2TB, and you have state of the art for 2011, which is probably the last time the servers got a significant upgrade. Even factoring in multiple blades, a desktop like mine (6th gen i7, 32GB RAM, 1TB HDD) should be able to run a small, 16 player server. I could probably get a 5th gen XEON server that would work great as a server for 32. At that point my internet connection would be a bottleneck.

As I stated before, no one in this country is going to run a large game server for over a thousand players server from a main service unless they work a deal with NCsoft.

AxerJ

Postby AxerJ » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:47 pm

Poor SEGS!

Though they could still make something unique...? Run into same server issues?

Apparition

Postby Apparition » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:17 pm

What are the listed specs, lividya? Some of us have high end desktops or access to business level desktops. Obviously, I am one of them...

BTW, if the specs you saw seem really steep, I would be perplexed by that. The fastest thing available in 2011 was a 2nd gen 8 core Xeon CPU, on a motherboard that would support up to 64GB of RAM. The video does not matter on a game server. Tie that in with a RAID 5 array of say 2TB, and you have state of the art for 2011, which is probably the last time the servers got a significant upgrade. Even factoring in multiple blades, a desktop like mine (6th gen i7, 32GB RAM, 1TB HDD) should be able to run a small, 16 player server. I could probably get a 5th gen XEON server that would work great as a server for 32. At that point my internet connection would be a bottleneck.

As I stated before, no one in this country is going to run a large game server for over a thousand players server from a main service unless they work a deal with NCsoft.
It's not necessarily the specs, it's that you're going to need a lot of physical machines. The server hasn't been able to gotten to work in a virtual machine. At a very bare minimum, you are going to need two physical computer servers, one for the database, and a second for the mapservers. Preferably a database server and at least eight mapservers in order to allow people to access all of the zones simultaneously. (I.e. one person in Atlas, another in Rikti War Zone, etc.) So, you're talking nine physical computer servers.

On top of that, they need to run Windows Server 2008 or 2012, and MS SQL Server 2008 or 2012 Enterprise. Nothing later has been verified as compatible. Each server should have at least 32 GB of RAM. SCoRE has been using two 250 GB SSD drives on each server, (one for backup).

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:29 pm

and Jack thought he could make money off of that...

Apparition

Postby Apparition » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:48 pm

Well, virtualization has improved quite considerably since 2012, so it's possible that people will eventually be able to get it to work in a virtual machine. But for right now, yeah, that's what is required. It's a mess. That it uses MS SQL instead of PostgreSQL or something makes me feel dirty. :P

Solari

Postby Solari » Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:48 am

I'm looking forward to SoH but I will happily play CoH again until it releases.. Screw NCSoft, they could have kept the game running in maintenance mode but chose not to.

Hopefully a server will spring up in a country where the authorities will laugh at any cease and desist orders. :)

Blaze Rocker

Postby Blaze Rocker » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:05 am

TheAmazingFezz
CoH was an amazing game.... it was an amazing experience.

But not only is it old now, but I am old now too. I was in my 20s when I played that game. Now I'm in my 40s and I'm not the same person I was back then. I will love the memories...

It's time for something new.
I agree with every part of this . . . and I wish I didn't.

:|
How many people telling the same lie does it take for that lie to become true?

Solari

Postby Solari » Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:15 am

Well let's just say that one positive of this is that instead of talking about and mis-remembering things when it comes to stuff we liked in CoH, it'll might soon be possible for the devs to go and have a nosey at it themselves if they so wish. :)

Return to “General Discussion”