Secret real COH server has been active since 2012/2013

Blaze Rocker

Re: Secret real COH server has been active since 2012/2013

Postby Blaze Rocker » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:07 pm

Massively OP has a new editorial up about it and how the news has fractured the CoH community.

Even if the CoH community did die as a result of SCoRE, here's hoping that the Ship of Heroes community will live and thrive for many years!
Well, here's the thing.
If it was public then it would be nothing but Cease and Desist orders from NCsoft corporate every time a private server opened up just as it's been time and time again with other games. People get to play for a while, BAM - C&D. People get to play for a while, BAM - C&D. ... rinse and repeat. People get their beloved game back and then down it goes all over again. How many times do you want to relive the CoH sunset from back in 2012? - - - I don't know about you but I don't want to go through that again.

NCsoft were total bastards for what they did. A better way existed and they didn't care. As much as losing my game and characters hurts, and now not even being included in this little private server group, I would still prefer that little group of people were playing than for nobody to be playing. Anything that STICKS IT TO NCsoft is okay in my book. Any company that doesn't have a care in the world about its own customers deserves to be screwed with. Bleed 'em and bleed 'em hard I say. Teach them a lesson they should have learned long ago.

Finally, for whatever personal data this private group may have . . . my credit card numbers and email address have never appeared to be compromised so that's acceptable. All of my characters are legally owned by NCsoft as per the agreement I and everyone else made when we played the game and I don't think anyone would care much for my characters. I'm a little irritated by it all but I'm not upset. The situation could have been worse so this isn't so bad.

This is just how I see things.
How many people telling the same lie does it take for that lie to become true?

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:56 pm

An article that states that the SCORE team is going to release the game code, along with player data (only includes character and account wide data, not names, financial info or personal info) sometime soon, possibly aligning with CoH's 15th anniversary at the end of the month. I am still waiting to see what NCsoft's reaction will be to all of this.

https://www.pcgamer.com/a-fully-functio ... six-years/
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

slacktech

Postby slacktech » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:30 pm

The dictator at the centre of all this made some snarky comment about they were planning to open to the public on the 15th anniversary, but, you know, what, suddenly they couldn't because of timing. Not because he's cranky that everybody is now aware of his secret sandbox, but that the timing just wasn't right, you know?

So he's now saying the timing magically fixed itself and it will be released as planned???

Itlandm

Postby Itlandm » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:00 pm

Well, it's up to NCSoft now. It would be very strange if they don't react to someone stealing their source code and possibly using the cash shop on a private server.

I intend to continue to support Ship of Heroes but of course I would prefer to play City of Heroes rather than Lord of the Rings Online in the meantime. I doubt CoH will be an option though. So this all makes very little difference to me, unless NCSoft reacts by saying "Hey, if you want the game so badly, we're not going to stop you". Which would require even more divine intervention than SoH getting ready for beta in 2019, I think.

Apparition

Postby Apparition » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:41 pm

In case anyone is interested, Massively OP just put up a new podcast discussing CoH and SCoRE here.

Pyrion

Postby Pyrion » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:59 am

Another article popped up about this:

https://www.pcgamer.com/a-fully-functio ... six-years/

According to this, the full server source code might become available in a few weeks.

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:29 am

There has been some incredible stuff posted on Facebook and elsewhere about all of this. My personal take is that there will be several more shoes to drop in this saga before it settles out. How will NC Soft react? Can fragmented private servers even begin to replicate the COH experience? And perhaps most of all, what will the former players of COH think of the experience if they get a chance to play again?

When COH was about to close, most of us talked about the pending closure in-game all the time. At that time, I noted two schools of thought. The first was that the group that wanted the game to continue in some fashion. Perhaps Disney would buy it, or someone else. Back in 2012, I was in that group, philosophically. But a second group wanted to see someone make a successor game, and allow the community to move on to a new setting, new missions, and new content.

Pretty obviously, I moved from group one to group two after the closure.

For me, and for our team here, COH had a long list of wonderful qualities. But the number one quality we want to recapture is the positive community. For a variety of reasons, I do not think that community can be recaptured, at large scale, on a private COH server today. Even if NC Soft were to allow private servers to operate openly. I hope that I am wrong about that.

I suggest that we all take a deep breath, and wait. Our old friends are shocked and hurting. Let's give this situation a few weeks to settle.

Odee

Postby Odee » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:45 am

IMO it would be a very much bad idea to release the code across the web, simply because of the potential harm of ID Theft involved.
Rah-rah Ree! Kick 'em in the Knee!
Rah-rah Rose! Punch 'em in the Nose!
Rah-rah Ralls! Kick 'em in the other Knee!

Parkhyeyeon

Postby Parkhyeyeon » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:01 am

IMO it would be a very much bad idea to release the code across the web, simply because of the potential harm of ID Theft involved.
It's character data, not personally identifiable info(PII).

They could always just do the game code and leave character data out of it also.
Join SoH Discord!
Backer #9
CoH mains(Freedom server):
Angel Irene - Energy/devices Blaster
Seraph Irene - Energy/Radiation Corrupter

Pyrion

Postby Pyrion » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:51 am

I am pretty split on this. On the one hand, this is obviously stealing of intellectual property. On the other hand, closing all servers and not allowing any emulations and not making a sequel was a dick move from NCSoft. The big question is: Why? The only thing they got out of it was bad rep.

If the source code would indeed be released and distributed over the internet and some more or less public servers would start i would check them out for sure. But i would still continue my support of ship of heroes. In a way, that could even be a good thing for ship of heroes as it puts a public spotlight on superhero MMOs.

I understand that the SoH staff might be concerned what all this would mean for SoH. I think that it will actually help SoH in the long turn.

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:03 am

Lets look at this from NCsoft's perspective. I am quite convinced they are writing off the value of the IP over an unknown period of time. If so, they have no interest in furthering the IP. HOWEVER; they need to continue to 'own' the IP. They may very well let this slide, under conditions. What conditions? That anyone using a private server using this code does not attempt to gain ownership and cannot earn a profit from it. This would require signing an agreement stating this. Private servers running Star Wars: Galaxies, Warhammer Online and Everquest 1999 have such an agreement in place.

The big deal about something like this, and this is a big deal, since they cannot earn a profit I don't think that someone could host the game on Amazon Server Svcs and recreate the entire CoH experience. It will always be a hollow shell of what we all remember. I would expect a lot of 32-50 player servers (a good reasonably modern PC with a business level internet connection could handle that much) coming online. This may be 'neat' for the nostalgia, but I cannot see many of these micro-servers staying active for very long. Once people get a chance to try CoH again, but without the community, they will see the big need for a proper successor.

Like Ship of Heroes!
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

gemini

Postby gemini » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:17 am

I would expect a lot of 32-50 player servers (a good reasonably modern PC with a business level internet connection could handle that much) coming online. This may be 'neat' for the nostalgia, but I cannot see many of these micro-servers staying active for very long. Once people get a chance to try CoH again, but without the community, they will see the big need for a proper successor.

Like Ship of Heroes!
This

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:30 am

If the code is released I would be tempted to make my own one person micro server. Either login to, or remake Ace. Turn the taunt limit off and do a few dreck runs.

But without other people it will get stale fast
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

All Ship of Heroes Videos

IN BLACKEST DAY, IN BRIGHTEST NIGHT,
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE.
LET THOSE WHO POST THEIR SPAM-ISH SLIGHT
FACE THE POWER OF ACE'S MIGHT!

olepi

Postby olepi » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:18 am

If the code is released I would be tempted to make my own one person micro server. Either login to, or remake Ace. Turn the taunt limit off and do a few dreck runs.

But without other people it will get stale fast
I would probably do that too. For me, though, one of the things CoH did better than any other game was how easy it was to scratch up a PUG. With all the different types, and allowing all levels to play with the sidekick system, PUG's were fun.

Of course, on a private server of one, or even 32, this wouldn't be the same.
2019: 42 years on the Net.

Apparition

Postby Apparition » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:31 am

From what has come out the past few days, the server code is ugly. It's a miracle that it's worked at all. You have to remember that work on City of Heroes began back in 2000, before Windows XP was even released. I've seen Microsoft SQL mentioned multiple times. That alone is a nightmare itself. To get it all working on newer hardware and newer software almost twenty years later...

No, it's time for something new, something modern that uses much more modern architectures and technologies. It's time for Ship of Heroes.

Return to “General Discussion”