Secret real COH server has been active since 2012/2013

brando81373

Re: Secret real COH server has been active since 2012/2013

Postby brando81373 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:24 am

I feel very conflicted over the private server. I am not conflicted over my support for SOH, you guys have my full support and I can't wait to board the Justice! Keep up the good work!

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:45 am

I first saw this about a day and a half ago on Fb group, and since then the response from people has been downright disgusting. Many seem to think they are entitled in some way to play on the private server or just throwing hate at Leandro, and anyone else who may have access and kept quiet, that they betrayed the community. It's now devolving into an "if you're defending them and their tactics for keeping it private, you're one of them" style witchhunt.

That's not the type of community that I, and I assume everyone else here, want to be a part of. It has been discussed a bit in SoH discord, and I appreciate and thank those people for keeping it civil. Please keep it that way. :D

The server game code and player data are stolen property of NCSoft, and there are only so many former employees who had access to that data. Keeping it private and behind an NDA was to protect these former devs as much as it was to prevent a C & D from them. Now that it's out, it will not surprise me to see NCSoft going after anyone involved. That could include anyone playing on it.
Park pointed this out to me, and I relayed it to Consultant last night. I'll be honest, seeing this left me torn; One part of me would love to play, but the other part of me does not want to get involved with an illegal project. Part of me feels glad that at least some of the old players have been able to play, but another part is ticked that I was not one of them.

Part of me is astonished at the poor reaction of the old CoH community, and part of me feels mad as heck, just like they are. Whatever, I'm almost positive that the CoH private server will be torn down before the end of the month, and we won't see it again until at least Summer 2019.

Honestly, considering the shady nature of the whole thing, I would at most log into my incarnated characters, go have some fun checking out the new areas (they released Issue 24 and 25), take some screen shots and never log back in again. No matter what the circumstances surrounding the shut down, I just can't get myself excited to play a very illegal game.
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

MrFreedom

Postby MrFreedom » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:28 pm

While I love COH, I have accepted the fate. Which is one reason why I am so excited about SoH. It seems unique enough to not be a direct rip from COH and close enough to fill the nostalgia of it. I Played CoH from 2004 until end. There were times where I took 3month to year breaks from CoH sure, but I always went back to it.

I have seen a couple of people/companies prey on CoH nostalgia and SoH is not that. I have been excited about SoH for a while now. I guess all i am saying, let City of Heroes rest in piece.

TheAmazingFezz

Postby TheAmazingFezz » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:50 pm

Wow. Just wow.

Apparition

Postby Apparition » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:03 pm

This news is making the big time. New articles about it on both Motherboard and PC Gamer.

Personally, I'm not sure what to think. I'm glad that City of Heroes and our characters are still alive in some fashion, but the whole thing feels underhanded and sleazy as well. In any case, I'm glad for Heroic Games and Ship of Heroes. City of Heroes was terrific for its time, but that time has come and gone. Time for something both familiar and new. I will be sure to make another donation to Ship of Heroes when I get home from work this evening.

Kelvinkole

Postby Kelvinkole » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:40 pm

I loved CoH as much as everyone else, but the only emotion this triggers for me is sympathy. CoH is dead, and this news doesn't change that. What has happened is illegal and it will be shut down, possibly with major legal ramifications for those involved. I feel sympathy for those that are still hanging on to the old. Let it go and look to the future; Look to the FHS Justice.

ANemesisPlot

Postby ANemesisPlot » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:46 pm

This news really breaks my heart. I don't feel conflicted at all. I cried about CoH for the first time in 7 years.

Anyone defending this server and the secrecy around it, please understand that we all as a community mourned for the game. We made our peace that we may never play it again. I myself contented myself with Paragon Chat and even donated to them a couple times hoping that could be put to good use to create at least some facsimile of the game I remember. Now I know that not only was the game I love alive, but that I and many others in the community were considered too lesser to be worthy of even knowing about it. That cuts deep. Then I found out the money I donated to Paragon Chat could have directly funded this secret server that I knew nothing about and wasn't invited to. That for all I know, behind the veil of secrecy were players in an ivory tower laughing at the idiots who weren't a part of the club. I feel used, manipulated and devalued.

So I'm all in on SoH. I want that good community back. And I want it to be better than it was. Let's do it. Not for Reddit Clubhouse of Heroes. But for us, the REAL community.
Dread it, run from it, The Mouse still arrives.

Blaze Rocker

Postby Blaze Rocker » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:58 pm

This gives me mixed feelings.

I'm a little ticked off that this was kept from all of us while so many people were going through CoH withdrawal, some for years after the shutdown. Yet I also understand the secrecy as the Devil company NCsoft would have pounced on the people running the server.
What I'm hoping is that NCsoft finally sees everything that has been going on these past 7+ years and finally decides that they've been missing out on all the superhero money and either authorizes a development studio to start work on CoH 2 or they sell the property outright to improve their reputation and rid themselves of all connections to superheroes, which aren't that big of a thing in Asia when compared to the rest of the world if my information is correct. At this point doing anything would be better than having to go after people making private servers for years to come with no financial incentive.

We'll have to wait and see just how smart NCsoft's board of directors really is. Hopefully the 2019 Board is a lot smarter than the 2012 Board.
How many people telling the same lie does it take for that lie to become true?

LaughingLandry

Postby LaughingLandry » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:05 pm

I’m glad it has come out. I was shocked at first that the server even excited but then I got over it rather quickly. Yes I loved City of Heroes as much as the next gamer. And I can understand the nostalgia behind having it come back. But I don’t think it should have been kept a secret at the expense of lawsuits, cease and desist orders etc. I think the best thing to do is put all the energy and focus into the current super hero MMO’s (Ship Of Heroes, being my personal choice) in the works. I personally and fine accepting that NCsoft May never release the IP to COH. I really don’t want to be apart of an mmo tied to NCsoft anyway. They have never shown enough of a concern for their players thoughts and voices. So for me I will support SoH and help make that a better game then COH ever was. Because let’s face it right now SOH (as well as all the other hero MMO’s in the works) are all we have to get back the feelings of COH.

Angel Phoenix77

Postby Angel Phoenix77 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:14 pm

While I can understand the fear with protecting it. And the secrecy that goes along with it. The are parts of the release that bother me. One it states they have had the a bit the close. Meaning they didnt do any backwards engineering. Then for 5 years they gave that privilege only to their friends and family. Then there is the biggest slap at the end stating who they were going to open it. I fear this was never their plan. They wanted to sound noble. They feel short. It felt dry.

I tried to move on just like everyone else, and when I have mostly healed from my mistake (I'll elaborate if someone to know) the old scars are torn open once again. :(. look forward to Ship of Heroes more because of this.

Gamegod

Postby Gamegod » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:29 pm

All I can say is.... had I been given the opportunity to play on the private server. I would have done so without a second thought. You can sit here and say you would not, but I feel that you are saying that only because you think that's what you should say. I don't think its bad or a crime or whatever. It is a chance to experience something I loved again so I would have had no regrets in doing so. The only thing that bothers me is that they should have allowed more people a chance to get in; or at the very least released the code so that more people would have been able to use it. And if the demon aka NCsoft takes offense then so be it.. they started this mess anyway.
Never say too much; always say enough. :roll:

slacktech

Postby slacktech » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:34 pm

Preface - I am happy to support SoH and other successor projects. I do believe the children (in the figurative sense) are our future.

However, having said that, I am ashamed to say that if I was given the opportunity to log into my old data and play my characters I would have in a heartbeat. I'm not going to pretend that I'd take the high moral ground in this instance (normally I do, as I consider myself a very ethical person).

As others have said in this thread, I have very mixed feelings about this coming to light. It initially opened the wound I thought had healed. Regardless of the fact that we're talking about old tech, I loved playing that game and would happily do so again if given the opportunity. Now, several hours later, I am trying to process emotions and it is clear to me that I deluded myself into thinking I'd moved on fully from the shutdown. Self-delusion is a very powerful thing it seems.

I am angry that player character data was released. Putting aside the legality of ownership (which of course rests with NCsoft) I feel violated that someone has 'my' character data. I understand they took it when offered so their chosen few could play their characters once again, but I really hate the thought that someone other than NCsoft/Paragon Studios has 'my' data.

As I don't want to be bitter, or live in the past, I hope for the sake of the chosen few that NCsoft either lets this server live or comes to some agreement with those running it. The likelihood of course is that they won't and have already instructed their lawyers to issue the cease and desist instructions (of course that's the risk they took and they have had many years of gameplay without payment).

Ridgeman

Postby Ridgeman » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:43 pm

Re: the private server -
I can understand the resentment, but it seems like wasted energy. If funds were misused under the pretext of advancing a game that would be open to the public, then I definitely understand the anger. With that said, there are more productive things to expend energy on.
Would I have played on the private server? Not sure... I like to think that I wouldn't have, but I was never faced with the option - so I can't honestly say. Even if I had, it would have likely gotten stale pretty quickly without the friends that I knew and loved while playing it live.
Magic up CoH from the grave or SoH? Ship of Heroes is the way to go. We loved the crap outta City of Heroes, and nothing will ever replace it for me. With that said, that doesn't mean that one can't attain - or even surpass - the level of enjoyment that we had with CoH with a new game - and I'm really *really* hoping that SoH will fit the bill.

Apparition

Postby Apparition » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:03 pm

Massively OP has a new editorial up about it and how the news has fractured the CoH community.

Even if the CoH community did die as a result of SCoRE, here's hoping that the Ship of Heroes community will live and thrive for many years!

JetStrange

Postby JetStrange » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:07 pm

Wow, that article makes my skin crawl..... and you what... forget them... I also stand by Ship of heroes.

Return to “General Discussion”