Secret real COH server has been active since 2012/2013

Postby Pyrion » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:35 am

Article is here:
https://massivelyop.com/2019/04/15/scor ... ator-leak/

Youtube video explaining things:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUuQDcL2FoY

Positive gamer's reaction:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbRvDFKCLis

Sorry, looks like we normal people can't get in.

gemini

Re: Secret real COH server has been active since 2012/2013

Postby gemini » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:30 am

First thing on my news feed this morning.

I'm not really sure what to feel right now. Watching this guys youtube channel is like, painful.
Last edited by gemini on Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:07 am

more pissed than anything about this. a dev risked all to release the codes only to have the person who he released them to to keep it secret...
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

All Ship of Heroes Videos

IN BLACKEST DAY, IN BRIGHTEST NIGHT,
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE.
LET THOSE WHO POST THEIR SPAM-ISH SLIGHT
FACE THE POWER OF ACE'S MIGHT!

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:09 am

I guess this is proof it was real.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAjyLxXFGIQ

gemini

Postby gemini » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:43 am

I guess this is proof it was real.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAjyLxXFGIQ
Yep.
Edit: did you notice in one of his videos, he's actually hooked into paragon chat WHILE he's playing (the first one published, that has footage of him leveling up)

Edit 2: Finished watching his video, "paragon chat" was just the name of a global channel they have, but someone else has accused p.chat of being a sort of 'smokescreen' for the private server

https://imgur.com/a/9WmsMCx
Last edited by gemini on Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

gemini

Postby gemini » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:50 am

They have all of the old character data too. . .

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:52 am

On my iPhone waiting for my train videos don’t work so well from here. Only videos I saw was the one I posted before I had to leave for the train, and didn’t see all of that.

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:53 am

They have all of the old character data too. . .
Yeah....

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:12 am

Regardless of this news. Ship of Heroes is my home and has my loyalties.

gemini

Postby gemini » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:16 am

Regardless of this news. Ship of Heroes is my home and has my loyalties.
I'm with you, and SoH 100%.

Re: Private servers - they tend to lack the overall community and permanence of a real, full game.

I might've mentioned this over in the discord channel - I used to help run a Ragnarok Online private server (I was the server / hardware admin).

That game's server code leaked out while the game was still live, so there have been (and still are) many private servers.

Pyrion

Postby Pyrion » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:23 am

Re: Private servers - they tend to lack the overall community and permanence of a real, full game.
There are exceptions. If you have a dedicated quality oriented team, private servers can be a blast and thriving. There is another MMO genre that has more or less vanished. The genre of very social, strictly group oriented fantasy MMOs. The classic Everquest was such a game before it got watered down to the husk that it is now. No newer MMO was filling that void but one private server brought it all back to the roots. I am speaking of Project1999 of course. They even managed to reach an agreement with Daybreak, the people who run the current live EQ.

P1999 is a real great server, the PVE-part usually has more than 1000 player online at any time. It runs smoothly, the staff regulates it quite well and it's a lot of fun if you can stand the dated graphics and like very challenging games without much hand holding. I wish we had something like that for CoH.

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:27 am

With the surprise news yesterday that a private server for City of Heroes may have been operating for years, possibly with hundreds of players, we just want to reiterate that Ship of Heroes is developing full-steam, and that we will launch as planned on the schedule we have announced. Ship of Heroes is the next step in superhero gaming with a completely unique setting, new story and missions, new engine and graphics, and infinite room for future game expansion. Our goal is to provide a gaming home to all of those who want to continue to experience the positive community that we have already assembled on our forums and in our Alpha tests. After all the support we have received, doing anything else would be a betrayal. Please show your interest by continuing to support Ship of Heroes.

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:15 am

I wanted to put in my 2 inf on this subject.

NCsoft has a vested interest in CoH. We do not know what it is, but they turned down some very good offers from several sources when they decided to shut down. Now that this information is revealed, I truly believe they will defend their IP, starting with Cease and Desist letters to anyone they feel is involved. They may not come today, or tomorrow, or this week, but they will come. Once that starts, people may very well be going to court, unless NCsoft receives letters detailing how the accused will stop playing the game and never play again unless it is an NCsoft sanctioned setting.

Will NCsoft permit these guys to take over the IP? It depends. If NCsoft is writing off the value of the IP, then no. It is way more valuable to them to hang onto. If NCsoft is planning on a game that specifically uses this IP, then no. Once they lose the trademarks they would no longer be able to publish games based on the IP. If they have given up on the IP, then yes, they may allow the private servers to continue. This possibility is probably about .001%. If none of these apply, then NCsoft may be willing to work a deal where the people running the private server take over the IP as long as they go for-profit and pay the company. Or they may resurrect a deal to sell the game. Or they may track down the private server people, seize their assets and put the game back up in a maintenance mode situation.

Of all of these possibilities, I think the most likely is that NCsoft is writing off the IP based on an over inflated value, like $50,000,000 USD. If so, nothing will happen with the game (it will be shut down, obviously) other than C&D letters and some people going to court.

50 million spread over 14 years (this is a US style write off; I have no idea how Korea works) would be about 3.5 million a year in tax write offs. That is well worth them defending their IP.
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

olepi

Postby olepi » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:22 am

I'm with Consultant here. I'm looking for Ship of Heroes to be more than CoH.

I played CoH from the beginning until around the time the Architect came out. I eventually quit because it all seemed so repetitive. Even my alt-itis was tired. And there seemed to be little to do except smash-em-up, for the n-thousandth time.

Sure, I'd love to take my Warshade out for a spin. But I'm really looking forward to a new game, a better game, one with updated graphics and better stories.
2019: 42 years on the Net.

Parkhyeyeon

Postby Parkhyeyeon » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:13 am

I first saw this about a day and a half ago on Fb group, and since then the response from people has been downright disgusting. Many seem to think they are entitled in some way to play on the private server or just throwing hate at Leandro, and anyone else who may have access and kept quiet, that they betrayed the community. It's now devolving into an "if you're defending them and their tactics for keeping it private, you're one of them" style witchhunt.

That's not the type of community that I, and I assume everyone else here, want to be a part of. It has been discussed a bit in SoH discord, and I appreciate and thank those people for keeping it civil. Please keep it that way. :D

The server game code and player data are stolen property of NCSoft, and there are only so many former employees who had access to that data. Keeping it private and behind an NDA was to protect these former devs as much as it was to prevent a C & D from them. Now that it's out, it will not surprise me to see NCSoft going after anyone involved. That could include anyone playing on it.
Join SoH Discord!
Backer #9
CoH mains(Freedom server):
Angel Irene - Energy/devices Blaster
Seraph Irene - Energy/Radiation Corrupter

Return to “General Discussion”