Please make us run around this city

AxerJ

Re: Please make us run around this city

Postby AxerJ » Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:59 pm

If we had to "demonstrate our responsibility" or something before gaining access to a travel power, alts could simply have a "letter of recommendation" from their mains that could change or eliminate the level requirement. Or a hero that's "noticed them from afar". Or we could forego lore and just change the reqs for alts once mains gain travel.

That first time, though, is awesome. And Id request to make it a fairly significant period of time - not just completion of a tutorial section. Level 6 or 7 out of 20? Depending on how leveling is.

Thanks very much for the answer, Consultant!

TheAmazingFezz

Postby TheAmazingFezz » Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:37 pm

I would rather have to do some walking around before getting a travel power. To those of you expressing your frustration over having to earn a travel power let me remind you that COH felt like a real slog getting to level 14 because the game was not designed to be solo'd for many classes. Hopefully, SOH will not make that error and getting to your travel power won't feel so boring and long.

Ridgeman

Postby Ridgeman » Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:24 pm

Not to sound like a broken record, but I think CoH got it right. You could get a quasi travel power - hover, combat jumping - and then a little later on, you got the real thing. You could also get swift and/or hurdle which, +sprint, made getting around a little quicker at those low levels. And, as was mentioned, it really did seem like a milestone getting your travel power (and cape). Make it something special. Maybe even have temp travel powers available at vendors and/or during holidays, if people are that concerned about it. Personally, I loved the Goldbricker Jet Pack and used it all the time - even if I did have a real travel power.

Ronnieman

Postby Ronnieman » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:36 pm

Didn't they say you could reach max level within this one city. If so, I would imagine that there will be foes of all levels to consider while running around town. Not having a travel power could be a little scary.

I don't think we should have a travel power from the start though. no fun. That is, unless it is temporary.

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:48 pm

Didn't they say you could reach max level within this one city. If so, I would imagine that there will be foes of all levels to consider while running around town. Not having a travel power could be a little scary.

I don't think we should have a travel power from the start though. no fun. That is, unless it is temporary.
not sure the level cap when we launch. I believe it will be level 20 or maybe 25. there will be a new zone every few months after launch though and the chance to get to higher levels. I have not heard how often they will raise the level cap but I can imagine they will raise it with every new zone for a few years.
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

All Ship of Heroes Videos

IN BLACKEST DAY, IN BRIGHTEST NIGHT,
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE.
LET THOSE WHO POST THEIR SPAM-ISH SLIGHT
FACE THE POWER OF ACE'S MIGHT!

slacktech

Postby slacktech » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:31 am

The novelty wore off for me fairly quickly (particularly when it was level 14). I had seen the cities many, many, many times by my tenth character - I really didn't want to experience it in slo mo again and again.

I like what some other games do - give you a travel power/mount straight out of the tutorial but it's not exactly a speed demon. It scales with level and by the level cap it's an efficient way to travel. I could live with that on all my alts if it were to be the option that ends up in SoH.

To me that's not 'going through the city at warp' but it's not crawling through it either.

Karmanik

Postby Karmanik » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:05 pm

I have no problem with earning my travel powers, capes, auras, etc. on each toon, but please limit the amount of fast travel options once more zones are added. I liked the challenge in City of Heroes of running through hazard zones to reach other zones. In the later days of CoH you
had so many warp/fast travel options that you never needed to take the time to appreciate all of the details the devs put in each zone.

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:22 pm

I have no problem with earning my travel powers, capes, auras, etc. on each toon, but please limit the amount of fast travel options once more zones are added. I liked the challenge in City of Heroes of running through hazard zones to reach other zones. In the later days of CoH you
had so many warp/fast travel options that you never needed to take the time to appreciate all of the details the devs put in each zone.
this
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

All Ship of Heroes Videos

IN BLACKEST DAY, IN BRIGHTEST NIGHT,
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE.
LET THOSE WHO POST THEIR SPAM-ISH SLIGHT
FACE THE POWER OF ACE'S MIGHT!

MrFreedom

Postby MrFreedom » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:05 pm

I too have no issue with each character earning their Travel power. I think it brings something to to table. I agree with many on here too. Having too many fast travel options ruins many zones.

Like I remember a few times, I was in hazards zones. I may have pulled to many or got in over my head just for a passing higher up swoops in and saves my butt. I even returned the favor later when I was higher level. That kind of stuff goes away with fast warp zones.

Nows in saying that, I think SOME fast travel is okay. Teleporting back to main hub. Tram system. Too much running also is a bad thing. Very hard to find that nice balanced zone.

mjplb

Postby mjplb » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:38 am

My major problem with a lot of the mmo genre early on is the intense amount of running required... Spend 15 or 20 minutes running somewhere for a quest that takes less time than it took to run there, then you have to run all the way back to the quest giver.. Since we are all sorts of advanced and on a space ship maybe we could make the idea of running to a quest giver obsolete, something like a holographic transmitter to see the listing of jobs and quests available in your area and ship level, it would in my opinion take a lot of the need of early fast traveling, offering you the chance to explore...
“So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.” Christopher Reeve

Hadder

Postby Hadder » Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:53 pm

Not just make us run around ...but make the city explorable from building to building.

I want to see buildings that I can just walk into and wander around. If I break into an office, I want the authorities to show up. Maybe I even get arrested. I want to be able to go under the streets into utility passage ways (futuristic version of sewers).

If I can't fly or run up the side of buildings, give me the option to run up the stairs or use an elevator.

Also, detail, detail, detail. I love details in cities. From sign posts, garbage bins and transit stops, to traffic lights and street meat shops on the corner.

Hadder
Hadder

Return to “General Discussion”