Please make us run around this city

AxerJ

Please make us run around this city

Postby AxerJ » Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:55 pm

After just watching the new video on city progress, I feel compelled to plead - please make us run around for a while to appreciate the scale of this city! Its verticality is impressive - please make us look up in some degree of awe, eager to traverse it more easily, before giving us travel powers. With travel powers, the city "shrinks" dramatically. A huge part of the fun in CoH was earning flight, and it seems itll be even more so in this city. Please have us "prove our responsibility" or something before we can access jetpacks and travel abilities. I feel it'd just significantly increase our appreciation of the city itself. And I want to run around at first - why run when we have travel powers?

Golden Ace

Re: Please make us run around this city

Postby Golden Ace » Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:58 pm

I am in agreement.

give us a small quest to earn our jetpacks and stuff. The quest should have us run all around the city.
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

All Ship of Heroes Videos

IN BLACKEST DAY, IN BRIGHTEST NIGHT,
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE.
LET THOSE WHO POST THEIR SPAM-ISH SLIGHT
FACE THE POWER OF ACE'S MIGHT!

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:47 pm

I'm tempted to answer: "so let it be written, so let it be done."

But that seems pretencious coming from me.

Galactus55

Postby Galactus55 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:18 pm

I'm tempted to answer: "so let it be written, so let it be done."

But that seems pretencious coming from me.
Moses Moses ;)
May your frame rate be HIGH
And your Temperature LOW

Rune

Postby Rune » Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:20 am

The city may look great, but that doesn't mean I want to run around it for an hour or even many more on every alt I ever make. I remember the old slog to level 14 in CoH less than fondly. It was less of a slog when it was changed to level 6, but still odd and annoying.

Please join the modern age of Super hero games and give us a travel power at character creation, and let us make our own choices about how we experience the city and other areas.

Not to mention, many character concepts are quite literally rooted in travel powers being right there immediately.

Speedsters.
Teleporters.
Winged Warriors
Paragon / Superman homages
etc. etc. etc.

Don't get me wrong, I even like to run around on foot in Champions Online in Millennium city from time to time using acrobatics, just to really enjoy the character of that game's city and appreciate all the work that went into it.

But if I want to move faster, at least I can.

gemini

Postby gemini » Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:37 am

The city may look great, but that doesn't mean I want to run around it for an hour or even many more on every alt I ever make. I remember the old slog to level 14 in CoH less than fondly. It was less of a slog when it was changed to level 6, but still odd and annoying.

Please join the modern age of Super hero games and give us a travel power at character creation, and let us make our own choices about how we experience the city and other areas.

Not to mention, many character concepts are quite literally rooted in travel powers being right there immediately.

Speedsters.
Teleporters.
Winged Warriors
Paragon / Superman homages
etc. etc. etc.

Don't get me wrong, I even like to run around on foot in Champions Online in Millennium city from time to time using acrobatics, just to really enjoy the character of that game's city and appreciate all the work that went into it.

But if I want to move faster, at least I can.
I like the first run or so around to chew the scenery a bit, but I kindof agree I don't like doing it EVERY time necessarily.

Hopefully they could make it unlock account wide once you do it once?

Styrj

Postby Styrj » Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:43 am

I agree with gemini, please DO NOT make us run around the city! I would much prefer to have a travel power from the get go in order to explore the city/landscape on my own terms. Please don't force me to play the game the way some else wants me to play (not fun for me).

There is nothing stopping someone from creating a toon and running around the city all they want (aside from the mobs you would eventually run into).
:D If it ain't broke, don't fix it! :D

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:55 am

I agreed with getting a travel power at level 14.

I could level a character over the weekend to that level easily.

I loved entering the hollows at level five and running across the zone through the Gulch and surviving. I hated it when Melissa Bianco nerfed the hollows - it made it too easy. We were heroes, things are supposed be difficult we learn, adapt and overcome. I lost all interest in the hollows after the nerf. It was no longer a “hazard” zone in my honest opinion. Making things too easy isn’t very heroic. Make us earn travel powers.

Side note: I always thought that the Minions of Igneous were underused they should’ve been in other higher level zones.

olepi

Postby olepi » Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:33 am

It would be cool if we could interact with the buildings, etc. If we had to be on foot to interact, that would tend to expose us a lot more to the city.

Maybe news kiosks,. vending machines, ....
2019: 42 years on the Net.

Cheesy

Postby Cheesy » Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:48 am

I'd love an option at character creation to "earn travel", then perhaps get a shiny badge :)
Unoriginal since 2005 (coh issue 5)...

Cheesy from Defiant.

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:37 am

We have to remember that we will be starting with just the one zone ‘apotheosis city’ as such I really don’t think it would be a benefit to the game to start with having a travel power from the beginning. Most of us here will stick with this game until we have many many levels to read n around and play with. If we make things too easy some people will fly around the city see everything and say “is that it? “. And not renew their subscription after they hit the max level, Or after their subscription lapses. We don’t want this to happen.

I am willing to agree That travel powers can be available at a lower level once you Have a character that has reached the max level.

lunawisp

Postby lunawisp » Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:43 pm

That issue could be resolved by making travel powers, or at least a basic one, account bound so that you have to earn it on your first character then it's always available for any new characters you make. Having to run around at a snails pace in CoH for the first few levels was a pain tbh, fine the first time, annoying and boring thereafter.
lunawisp was my Peacebringer in City of Heroes - she lives on in memory as my gaming id.
https://www.heroesin.space/ - A Blog About Super Heroes and Spaceships

Kohajin

Postby Kohajin » Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:01 pm

In CoV I had made all my characters belong to a family, including a crest and backstories based off the main character's feats I completed and when. So that in mind, I kind of like the idea of a 'protege jet pack' account item. Once you have achieved a set goal, maybe finished the initial main story or lvl with your first character. Your new characters get this temporary travel item at creation.

Would be removed once you unlock a travel power. I think I would still be excited to unlock the travel power if the jet pack was just a touch slower than normal.

Gamegod

Postby Gamegod » Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:59 pm

Omg you guys act like getting to level 14 or so will take forever. One of the main reasons COH stood out was because it made receiving your travel power or getting your cape seem like a big accomplishment. To have it given out at the start would deeply devalue its signifigance. I have played all those games that let you fly or sj or ss at the beginning and quickly lost interest. I can remember the street names of each street in COH that's because I had to walk or run each one. In the long run earning your travel power will be best. The developers of SOH don't want you to get bored with Apotheosis City in a few hours. After all, they spent years building it making it beautiful for you to explore.
Never say too much; always say enough. :roll:

Kelvinkole

Postby Kelvinkole » Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:51 pm

I liked in CoH that flight (and maybe SJ?) Scaled in speed as you leveled up. I think it's the perfect compromise here; gives us travel powers early on to explore with, enjoy, and get around just a little bit faster at first. But, govern the speed and increase it with each level so that after we've explored we can get around efficiently too.

Also, please have something like vistas in gw2. They were one of my absolute favorite things ever in a game and made the world beautiful and worth exploring.

Return to “General Discussion”