How do you feel about...HERDING??

Ridgeman

How do you feel about...HERDING??

Postby Ridgeman » Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:30 pm

I mostly ran tanks and brutes, and to me it was super fun to herd. Gather up a boatload of Nems or Warwolves and have my blaster buddies (or whoever) blow them all up. Granted, a good tank or brute can kill them all him/herself. However, I know that some don't like the idea of farming XP, but for me it was about doing something stupid for a bit if I had some time to kill. And hey, sometimes it was just good fun. And you got bonux XP when Freakshow were involved!

Golden Ace

Re: How do you feel about...HERDING??

Postby Golden Ace » Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:23 pm

Loved herding. Herding was always a blast.
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

All Ship of Heroes Videos

IN BLACKEST DAY, IN BRIGHTEST NIGHT,
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE.
LET THOSE WHO POST THEIR SPAM-ISH SLIGHT
FACE THE POWER OF ACE'S MIGHT!

Dying Breath

Postby Dying Breath » Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:24 pm

Issue 4 herding was a snore-fest for anyone who wasn't a tank. Even for blasters it was pretty boring. "You guys wait here, I'll go get everything in this zone." Yawn.

Post aggro cap herding was pretty pointless in most instances, although there were times when moving a spawn either toward or away from another made good tactical sense.

I'm not against people having their fun, but I sincerely hope that herding is not optimal game play.

Odee

Postby Odee » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:06 pm

Truth be told, growing up as a cowboy, we learned herding early in life. I love it for being outdoors, and working with others to get the job done right the first time. :D

Oh wait, you're talking about Trains, and Kiting? Well nothing beats a well planned ambush, IMNSHO :lol:

Put a Patrol, or Zone of Control down for the NPCs, where they return to their start point, if you try to drag them out of it.
Rah-rah Ree! Kick 'em in the Knee!
Rah-rah Rose! Punch 'em in the Nose!
Rah-rah Ralls! Kick 'em in the other Knee!

SR20Slider

Postby SR20Slider » Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:05 am

I hope so badly that there is no aggro cap. I was never much of a tanker in the beginning. But in the higher levels, seeing them herd up entire maps completely changed my mind on that AT. And I really hope one day I'll be able to watch 100 minions in a burn patch again. The aggro cap really affected my game play, and I only played tanks for fun. It seemed most of my in game friends that I played with from the begining quit the game with that update.

Ridgeman

Postby Ridgeman » Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:04 pm

I only played tanks for fun..
That right there. The entire reason for playing was to have fun. If you're not: do something else. It's not like there aren't options. For me, tanks were always the most fun to play. Didn't kill things the fastest, but it was still a lot of fun. Granted, herding was possible with other ATs, but - to me - it just wasn't as much fun.

Kamarhi

Postby Kamarhi » Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:55 pm

Loved hearding. Did it with two different tanks.
Fire fire tank before they nerfed burn
Earth earth tank. This was cool before the nerf to do on illusionists. You could set up a healer on auto heal and taunt while letting your aoe damage ability kill stuff. Afk leveling, fairly controversial but they fixed that pretty quick.

Also, remember that a healer friend and I had to take a test to get into a super group. We had to heard up as much as possible and survive. As the tank I had to do this with no defense powers running.

Wolfshadw

Postby Wolfshadw » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:30 pm

Personally, I hated herding. If I was playing my tank, I was expected to herd. If I was playing a blaster, I couldn't use my AoE attacks. If I didn't conform to those roles, I was booted from the team...

I thought the idea was to play the character *I* wanted to play!

-Wolf sends

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:07 pm

Personally, I hated herding. If I was playing my tank, I was expected to herd. If I was playing a blaster, I couldn't use my AoE attacks. If I didn't conform to those roles, I was booted from the team...

-Wolf sends
It was never your AoE's it was your knockbacks. knockbacks would push mobs out of the taunt range of the tank, and they would rather quickly start attacking other players.
As a Tank I was not expected to herd I was expected to grab a group or two to make clearing a mission safer. the 17 mob limit /cap put an end to herding well before the game ended.

when there was herding I was never expected to herd unless it was for a specific mission such as Dreck. which was a lot of fun btw. loved dumpster diving.

slacktech

Postby slacktech » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:21 am

The dreaded kb (not 'keyboard'!). I was chastised quite a few times for using them when someone on the team believed I shouldn't have. Often they were correct.

Gamegod

Postby Gamegod » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:46 am

Ain't nothing wrong with a lil bump and grind...uuhh I mean herding ;) .
Never say too much; always say enough. :roll:

gemini

Postby gemini » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:23 am

As a gravity/kinetics controller... Herding was always hilarious to watch and participate in.

Tank arrives >
Huge pile of mobs arrives >
GRAVITY DISTORTION FIELD >
Blaster Runs In >
Fulcrum Shift >
Zone / instance crashes.

*sad trombone*

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:25 am

Lol

gemini

Postby gemini » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:42 am

-Wolf sends
It wasn't just tanks. Us controllers hated you energy blasters with your knockbacks too. :lol:

PseudoCool

Postby PseudoCool » Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:28 pm

My first was an energy/electric blaster.. infact, he used this name (Justice Server). I remember that herding was fun when you got a group of people together that enjoyed it and needed the XP boost to get over that storyline hump to get to the next level, or who needed more money to hit up Wentworths for those IO's (later in the game).

I can also remember my first week.. went skipping into the hollows and ran smack dab into a Fire tank who'd herded up about 1/4 of the map into a corner and was sitting there just eating everything they could toss at him while burning them all out. So.. of course.. I helped him out (without teaming, total rookie mistake).. and got chewed out.. then got invited to team and learn how to properly help a farmer and how to really play with my powers, especially that pesky knockback. Wasn't until a few years later that I finally gave in and built a tank to try it (at this point, the aggro cap was in effect).. but building a WP/SS tank with dual taunts.. omg.. talk about FUN! At that point I got to teach others how to properly use powers that have knockback, or AoE's.. without blanking out the tanks taunt.

So.. I think herding SHOULD be allowed.. but cap the mob size, or cap the instances you can use it in. Say it can only be done in repeatable missions for example. There was a freakshow mission that was a favorite farm for herders.. Dreck I think it was.. omg.. soooo much fun.

Herding HAS it's place in gaming, and it'll always be there.. the only way to minimize it is to set it up where you can and can't do it, or to limit the aggro cap to prevent that level 50 tanker from coming in and herding the entire map to level up his buddies, or the guy who paid for his leveling services on ebay. (yes, that used to happen too)

Return to “General Discussion”