What is "platforming"

Ronnieman

What is "platforming"

Postby Ronnieman » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:21 pm

Todays poll question in "how do you feel about platforming in MMORPG's.". What is platforming?

Blaze Rocker

Re: What is "platforming"

Postby Blaze Rocker » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:01 pm

Thanks for asking that. I was wondering what that was too, and I've been gaming since the 80s.

EDIT

To clarify: I've heard of game platforms, such as a game having one platform or another, but I've never heard of the term "platforming".

In this case does "platforming" refer to multiple ways to play a game within the game itself or is this a hardware question where we are being polled about whether we would be okay with SoH being available on multiple game systems like consoles, PCs, tablets and so forth, as-in "cross-platform/s"?
Last edited by Blaze Rocker on Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Stop the spread of fake news. Don't share anything produced by CNN.

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:17 pm

I’ve been around for a while so I’m assuming it’s playing the game while wearing platform shoes.
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

All Ship of Heroes Videos

IN BLACKEST DAY, IN BRIGHTEST NIGHT,
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE.
LET THOSE WHO POST THEIR SPAM-ISH SLIGHT
FACE THE POWER OF ACE'S MIGHT!

Warhead

Postby Warhead » Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:46 pm

Google under what is platforming had this definition.

A Platform game (or platformer) is a video game which involves guiding an avatar to jump between suspended platforms and/or over obstacles to advance the game.

If this is what they are asking, it is not high on my list for a game like this.

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:39 pm

Ah. Jump Puzzles.

two minds about it.

a jump puzzle should never be in a mission or be a requirement to complete a mission.

However having a few jump puzzles in the game to reach the top of the XX Tower without using a travel power I'm all for. basically a diversion to get a badge or what have you .

Von

Postby Von » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:37 pm

Not a fan of platforming. Mostly because I suck at it. Trying to commence with a raid and holding the team back because I can't make one specific jump is something of a downer for all involved. If it's just for something extra (badge/achievement) that I can do on my own time...no problem. If it's something "mission critical"...well, not my idea of good time.
You can run, but you'll just die tired.

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:45 pm

From Webster's Dictionary;

A trademark for: a process for reforming petroleum using a platinum catalyst.
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

lunawisp

Postby lunawisp » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:48 pm

Jumping puzzles have never worked well in online games. They're like a low latency reward system. Have a consistent low ping and you'll probably do reasonably well. Have a high ping and you're going to have to learn how 'early' you have to hit the jump button - bit like having to lead a moving target in a sniper game, the lead distance varies according to your latency. If you have a variable ping, you might as well not bother to turn up.
lunawisp was my Peacebringer in City of Heroes - she lives on in memory as my gaming id.
https://www.heroesin.space/ - A Blog About Super Heroes and Spaceships

Galactus55

Postby Galactus55 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:08 pm

I want to change my Vote from indifferent to Strongly negative!!!
May your frame rate be HIGH
And your Temperature LOW

Dying Breath

Postby Dying Breath » Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:31 am

In general, I'm not a fan of platforming.

However, solely in the context of SoH, I am indifferent. While I'm not particularly proficient at jumping puzzles, I would think that platform jumping is almost meaningless in a game with Flight and/or readily available jet packs. Also, in CoH, I always logged out precariously perched on streetlights, telephone wires, flagpoles or whatever else was high up, out of the way and tiny.

gemini

Postby gemini » Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:39 am

Here is a modern example of platforming in an MMORPG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4csYi004YYU

Context - the underbelly is an OPTIONAL labyrinth of shortcuts through the Leviathan raid that allows you to skip "trash" fights and go straight to raid encounters, there are several routes to each encounter and some bonus loot you can find using "keys" you get from successful encounters.

The first time I tried to jump through the aqueduct took me about a half an hour. After running the raid several times I can pretty much nail it in one try.

Edit - here's another example from Destiny (first half of a 'secret' side quest for a cool Sniper Rifle)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0w9sDHuI3F8

Ronnieman

Postby Ronnieman » Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:58 pm

Thank you all for the clarification. I still didn't understand until I saw that youtube video.

I am not a fan of platforming in MMORPG's. A few instances of platforming would be fine, because I do think it would add an interesting variable to a mission map, but I wouldn't want to see it become the norm.

Blaze Rocker

Postby Blaze Rocker » Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:42 pm

Here is a modern example of platforming in an MMORPG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4csYi004YYU

Context - the underbelly is an OPTIONAL labyrinth of shortcuts through the Leviathan raid that allows you to skip "trash" fights and go straight to raid encounters, there are several routes to each encounter and some bonus loot you can find using "keys" you get from successful encounters.
Okay, that adequately explains things. Thanks.

I have actually been aware of what platforming was for over twenty-five years but I never knew it had a specific name. I've been doing precision jumping and going through secret paths since my days with the NES. I just never knew it was referred to as platforming.
Stop the spread of fake news. Don't share anything produced by CNN.

Capzlock

Postby Capzlock » Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:07 pm

I love platforming/jump puzzles in online games. As long as an ability like Recall Friend is available then hopefully most players would be okay with them.

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:00 pm

at this point in time I think the question should be scrapped and reworded. to many people don't know or understand exactly what platforming is.

just state what you intend. even if you have to do several different questions for it.

Are you in favor of shortcuts through missions that allows you to skip "trash" fights and go straight to main encounters, allowing some missions to have several routes to the encounter and some bonus items (Infusions, Augments or temp powers) that can be found using "keys" you get from successful encounters.

I know it's a mouthful, but sometimes you have to say what you mean. frankly I'm totally against wearing platform shoes while playing an MMO.

Return to “General Discussion”