What didn't you like in CoH?

Van Allen

Re: What didn't you like in CoH?

Postby Van Allen » Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:26 am

What I didn't like in CoH:
In a team the player with the star goes AFK and the rest of us are waiting never knowing if/when they'll be back. We're loose in a zone waiting and can't pick a new mission or pick up another player unless we all quit the team and reassemble. Do I have a better solution? no.

Secondly, players who don't know their role on a team and how to play the game.
All too often I met a player who picked the AT/power sets ONLY because they "looked cool." Specifically in a cave mission an Assault Rifle/Traps Blaster made us wait, and wait, so he could plant numerous Land Mines (slow recharge) all behind us and the targets are all in front of us.
What Are Dominators. "Much like a spider traps a bug, wraps it up, then starts chewing on it when it's completely unable to escape or defend itself."

Kelvinkole

Postby Kelvinkole » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:38 am

In a team the player with the star goes AFK and the rest of us are waiting never knowing if/when they'll be back. We're loose in a zone waiting and can't pick a new mission or pick up another player unless we all quit the team and reassemble. Do I have a better solution? no.
Haha I do remember this happening, but is my memory failing me or wasn't there a votekick feature? Maybe you couldn't votekick the leader?

I know the leader could pass the star to someone else, but that woukd require them having the awareness to do it before going afk.

gemini

Postby gemini » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:10 am

Haha I do remember this happening, but is my memory failing me or wasn't there a votekick feature? Maybe you couldn't votekick the leader?

I know the leader could pass the star to someone else, but that woukd require them having the awareness to do it before going afk.
My recollection from when I played was if you were the leader you had total control.

You were SoL if the leader flaked out and didn't pass leadership- for a pickup group doing missions, not a big deal, you could all leave and reform.

For a task force you could wait or disband. (also, since you were prevented from doing missions or accessing contacts, before IOs were a thing, you couldn't buy any new SOs or inspirations from your contacts during a task force if you leveled up or something like that -- you had to find a generic vendor for inspirations or use DOs)

Blaze Rocker

Postby Blaze Rocker » Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:57 pm

Kelvinkole
CoH didn't have the Vote-Kick feature but I would support one in SoH for any TL that goes AFK for more than three minutes and doesn't say or do anything.
How many people telling the same lie does it take for that lie to become true?

Sinistar

Postby Sinistar » Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:39 am

Kelvinkole
CoH didn't have the Vote-Kick feature but I would support one in SoH for any TL that goes AFK for more than three minutes and doesn't say or do anything.
CoH had the Vote Kick option for anyone that was in a league for the incarnate trials.

For regular teams and Task/Strike forces, nope

Sinistar

Postby Sinistar » Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:45 am

Secondly, players who don't know their role on a team and how to play the game.
All too often I met a player who picked the AT/power sets ONLY because they "looked cool." Specifically in a cave mission an Assault Rifle/Traps Blaster made us wait, and wait, so he could plant numerous Land Mines (slow recharge) all behind us and the targets are all in front of us.
Don't forget players whose ego was too big for their britches as it were.

I was on my Peacebringer and the team was running a Positron taskforce as I recall.

One of the players was an arrogant little punk who kept griping about Peacebringers and being a lousy troll. The TL wouldn't kick the person as they didn't want to generate bad feelings. I told them the bad feelings are already here but that they could log out and as I was the first person to join the team the star would drop to me......

Suddenly the star was mine and the anti-Peacebringer was gone.....and all was well. A nice, fun and successful task force was had by all.

Nukeleus

Postby Nukeleus » Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:18 pm

The repetition of maps for missions. That got old fast. There should have been more variety or some sort of dynamic changing around. Better variety of mission types.

High end content was lacking. It would have been nice to have a way to further your powers via a secondary leveling system to get more longevity out of the character. I loved Electricity but with no content, it felt like I had to shelve him and work on an alt.

This is going to sound bad after the above, but I thought leveling took too long as well. That may contradict the above but the problem is, leveling alts was tough. At least for me. So I was forced to shelve a main, but didn't want to level an alt due to the time investment. Perhaps better exp for alts after hitting max level would have been a fix.

Lag during the Hamidon raid was a pain as well.

The enhancements getting messed with near the end.

The fact you had to get to a high level to go to low level zone to feel like a hero. I get it though, not city of super heroes. Still didn't feel hero enough.

Character graphics were great, the environment, not so much. World felt less polished, restricted.

No forgiveness in specing, limited or costly respecs. Would have been nice to have a couple of saved specs or builds the user could switch around without having to respec. Also having to respec at different points in the leveling process.

Styrj

Postby Styrj » Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:38 am

What I didn't like in CoHV:
Well, one evening I was into a heavy play session, going on about 10 hours or so and got the Dom I was running to 50 and called it a night. The next morning I woke up to the realization that the game was gone :cry: . Oh well such is life.

With their very talented development team and dedication to the game, I think SoH could every bit as good as CoHV was, and maybe one day even surpass it.
:D If it ain't broke, don't fix it! :D

Decaying Rose

Postby Decaying Rose » Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:19 am

A few things:

I liked that there were group travel powers (team teleport, group fly) but the implementation needed some work. Group Fly had the main flier be faster than those he was carrying, making it all too easy to drop sidekicks straight into the middle of a high level pack of critters. If the carried people could fly faster than the main flyer, even just a bit, that would have solved that one pretty well. Group Fly also tacked on a pretty fearsome 25% -ToHit debuff to everyone affected by it. You needed a couple of copies of Tactics to overcome that. Maybe the debuff should only have applied to the person using the power, not those they carried.

Team Teleport was expensive, which made sense, but it was short range and also very bad about dropping teammates, as the built-in hover power only lasted a little while after a 'port. Take more than a second or two to get your bearings or make a turn and bam, it's raining capes. One way to maybe provide an incentive to use TT would have been to give it stacking endurance discounts as more teammates were added to the 'port. Or, if that's too crazy, stacking range bonuses for each teammate in range--a full team might get maximum-range teleports, allowing them to cross a zone easily and quickly.

(One possible solution might be to grant team leaders a power like the Assemble Team power--click it and everyone in the zone gets a teleport-to-team-leader prompt. This could have a timer of a few minutes to prevent abuse, or perhaps it could only be activated at the mission door entrance, just as a couple of examples.)

As a Mastermind, traveling with pets was a chore. It wasn't so bad going cross-zone, as I'd quickly outdistance them and they'd port to me, relatively unharmed, but in task forces and league content, oy vey. What I would have given for a "stuff pets into pocket dimension" power that I could toggle. It could have had a lockout timer so the MM couldn't just flip them in and out willy-nilly, say ten seconds between activations--that would enough of a timer to prevent most abuse while not making the MM have to wait too long when doing a quick vertical maneuver in TFs.

It also grated that some of the visual indicators for debuffs weren't very visible. -Damage, -Defense, and so on left some dark red and purple shields and arrows on the affected bad guys, but they were pretty hard to make out on a full team. It would have been nice to have some settings to make my own debuffs more visible than others, or to change the visual style or location of them for better readabilty. Or perhaps there's some iconography for each critter, say a circle over their heads that has differently-colored (and differently-patterned, for our color-blind teammates!) wedges that fill in and fade out as a debuff sets in and fades away. Circle has a red, blue, and green wedge in it, each wedge with horizontal lines on it? Critter's affected by +damage, +endurance, and +regen. Circle has those same colors, but with vertical lines? -damage, -recovery, and -regen. If the wedge locations were static, it could get pretty easy to tell what was going on. There could even be settings to turn these off, change the style, or set it so only effects from certain teammates would be shown on one's personal display.

For a current example of "can't see my status effects for the forest", check out Star Trek Online--there are either lots of obscuring visual effects, or a row of teeeeeeeny little icons below the critter's targeting panel that are just so difficult to sort out. It makes flying debuff oriented ships a real pain sometimes.

MrFreedom

Postby MrFreedom » Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:50 pm

I think AoE has it place, but it seemed a bit to powerful in CoH. With FS it was very OP.

Getting AoE balanced out is very hard. Things like FS makes it so over powered it's not funny. So I guess what I am saying,

Buffs like FS
Hearding and just AoE down whole maps.

Decaying Rose

Postby Decaying Rose » Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:57 pm

Oh, and because I can’t believe I forgot them, I just flat-out HATED the following two rooms: The 5-Layer Cake Room from the cave set and the Three Layer Sauna Room from the 5th Column set. It wasn’t that they were vertical rooms—some of the really big ones in Oranbega were pretty cool—but that they were tight to maneuver in and pretty awkward, and it was all too easy to walk over a rock colored ledge into a rock colored pit without realizing it.

And finding glowies in them was a pain.

MikaMerrow

Postby MikaMerrow » Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:47 pm

My issues:

- Locking basic powers/races/costumes behind an achievement. I love when new things come up, but I want to play the game for the fun, not to hunt for the next item.
- lack of diversity in the character creator. I know that most supers are human or humanoid, but there are heroes that are not. It would be nice to have monster parts and bodies in character creation. Maybe powersets limited to the creation (especially the multi-limbed kind).
- NERFS. Yes, Nerfs, lots of them. So many that by i5, many of the servers were virtually empty in prime time due to lack of interest. We are meant to be
- inability to go between servers. I would humbly recommend having a shard system vs the servers CoX had. That way you can play on any "server" with a character of your choice rather than getting stuck with no one and no way to play without a team.

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:11 pm

I would humbly recommend having a shard system vs the servers CoX had. That way you can play on any "server" with a character of your choice rather than getting stuck with no one and no way to play without a team.
We will have a Shard system. One server with more shards as people log in and they fill up
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

All Ship of Heroes Videos

IN BLACKEST DAY, IN BRIGHTEST NIGHT,
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE.
LET THOSE WHO POST THEIR SPAM-ISH SLIGHT
FACE THE POWER OF ACE'S MIGHT!

Hadder

Postby Hadder » Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:35 pm

Personally, there were a bunch of things that bugged me about CoH because they were either done poorly or didn't even exist:

1. I'm driven by effects and environment. What I see pulls me in. I simply didn't like the texturing and lighting of the city. The buildings and structures lacked depth/detail and It felt very washed out.

2. Too small. I want the city to be vast and varied in design. I wanted buildings to be explore-able. I should be able to wander in to buildings from time to time and explore. I would have liked to wander into sewers as well.

3. Weather effects. Night and day is nice and all but having weather affects influencing game play would have been cool. Like heavy rainstorms or fog reduce visibility. And maybe something like a rainstorm could cause flooding that spawns events across the city to help citizens. Meh.

4. NPC's wandering around. Cities feel so dead without citizens wandering about doing their regular daily activities and having them acknowledge you exist would have been great.

5. Random events all across the city. Maybe it's a car accident, robbery, car chase, etc. That makes cities feel alive.

6. Destructible environments. I always wanted to see collateral damage in these types of games. You are a super hero that throws bombs, well, those bombs may accidentally destroy a citizen's car or leave a hole in the road requiring city crews to take the time to fix it.

7. Forcing me to do group content. Everything should scale up from 1 player. The number of enemies, how hard they hit, and how many abilities they can throw at you should all scale up from 1 player. That should have included instances.

Honestly, it just felt unfinished.

Hadder
Hadder

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:25 pm

nice post hadder. just wanted to add my 2 cents.
2. Too small. I want the city to be vast and varied in design. I wanted buildings to be explore-able. I should be able to wander in to buildings from time to time and explore. I would have liked to wander into sewers as well.
would like that as well, but unfortunately this would cause some serious lag. personally I would love to see buildings as mini zones. zones where you only saw the inside of the building. you could have dozens of people inside the building and every now and then rouge ai's take over the building and turn its automated defenses on players maybe on the upper floors.
3. Weather effects. Night and day is nice and all but having weather affects influencing game play would have been cool. Like heavy rainstorms or fog reduce visibility. And maybe something like a rainstorm could cause flooding that spawns events across the city to help citizens. Meh.
i would love weather events such as this.
4. NPC's wandering around. Cities feel so dead without citizens wandering about doing their regular daily activities and having them acknowledge you exist would have been great.
I remember this happening. citizens coming up to me and telling me what a great job I was doing. and I seem to recall two civilians talking about how I let some criminal get away once.... :/
5. Random events all across the city. Maybe it's a car accident, robbery, car chase, etc. That makes cities feel alive.
I love the random event idea. [/quote]
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

All Ship of Heroes Videos

IN BLACKEST DAY, IN BRIGHTEST NIGHT,
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE.
LET THOSE WHO POST THEIR SPAM-ISH SLIGHT
FACE THE POWER OF ACE'S MIGHT!

Return to “General Discussion”