Combat Controls

NexusSix

Combat Controls

Postby NexusSix » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:16 am

Hello!

I've been loving everything I've seen and read about SoH, but as a visually impaired person, I have a few related questions about the control scheme whose answers could make or break my chances of playing this game at all. The FAQ states that Tab targeting will be used, which gives me great hope as the more recent trend of aimed targeting in MMOs has been a real barrier for me.

Specifically, I'd like to know:

1. Will there be separate key binds for Target Nearest Enemy, Target Next Enemy and Target Previous Enemy?
2. Will Implied Targeting be used? i.e. if I select my teammate and attack, will I automatically attack the target of my teammate?
3. Will there be a Follow command so one player can automatically follow another player? Even better if this works for enemies and NPCs too.
4. Will there be the ability to scale up specific UI elements, such as health bars, nameplates or the mini map?

In short, the more "yes" answers the better my chances!

Many thanks.

Odee

Re: Combat Controls

Postby Odee » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:27 am

Hello!

I've been loving everything I've seen and read about SoH, but as a visually impaired person, I have a few related questions about the control scheme whose answers could make or break my chances of playing this game at all. The FAQ states that Tab targeting will be used, which gives me great hope as the more recent trend of aimed targeting in MMOs has been a real barrier for me.

Specifically, I'd like to know:

1. Will there be separate key binds for Target Nearest Enemy, Target Next Enemy and Target Previous Enemy?
2. Will Implied Targeting be used? i.e. if I select my teammate and attack, will I automatically attack the target of my teammate?
3. Will there be a Follow command so one player can automatically follow another player? Even better if this works for enemies and NPCs too.
4. Will there be the ability to scale up specific UI elements, such as health bars, nameplates or the mini map?

In short, the more "yes" answers the better my chances!

Many thanks.
For 1 above, do you mean like TAB, SHFT+TAB, ALT+TAB?
For 2, I think they already have an Assist Friend command that targets the friends target.
3. Gee willikers I certainly hope so! Makes leaping attacks so much more fun, when you can target, jump, and hit like F to auto leap on the target for melee.
4. I haven't seen this feature yet. But am sure it will be available on release. (Also sure that Consultant, GladDog, or Golden Ace will make a liar out of me on this.) :lol:
Rah-rah Ree! Kick 'em in the Knee!
Rah-rah Rose! Punch 'em in the Nose!
Rah-rah Ralls! Kick 'em in the other Knee!

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:02 am

we will have keybinds. I believe Dirtsleeper was working on them before he left. not sure how far along it got.
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

NexusSix

Postby NexusSix » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:09 am

For 2, I think they already have an Assist Friend command that targets the friends target.
Yes, that's what I meant, using the Tab key to tap through all the different targets in range. But Target Nearest is actually the most important for me when things get overwhelming on screen in a solo fight.

I think Friend Assist sounds like the right thing, too. Great!

As you probably guessed, I'm really just looking for ways to put down useful DPS when I'm unable to see the details of the fight properly. So, knowing I can just hit what my tank is targeting without even looking gives me a shot at pulling my weight in a group.

Thanks!

NexusSix

Postby NexusSix » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:15 am

we will have keybinds. I believe Dirtsleeper was working on them before he left. not sure how far along it got.
Okay, that's encouraging. I appreciate that not everything is set in stone at this stage in development.

Odee

Postby Odee » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:17 pm

I think Friend Assist sounds like the right thing, too. Great!

As you probably guessed, I'm really just looking for ways to put down useful DPS when I'm unable to see the details of the fight properly. So, knowing I can just hit what my tank is targeting without even looking gives me a shot at pulling my weight in a group.

Thanks!
It has been my experience in most MMO's, that the target-what-my-target-is-targeting, works great one time. Then I have to retarget my friend again and rinse-repeat. Now there are ways to TAB to the friend, and you can set up in options to Target what they are targeting, so it would just be a matter of Tabbing to your friend again.

Probably a good idea to have the Tank near the top of the team list in that case.

👍👍🤘

Blaze Rocker

Postby Blaze Rocker » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:31 pm

It has been my experience in most MMO's, that the target-what-my-target-is-targeting, works great one time. Then I have to retarget my friend again and rinse-repeat. Now there are ways to TAB to the friend, and you can set up in options to Target what they are targeting, so it would just be a matter of Tabbing to your friend again.

Probably a good idea to have the Tank near the top of the team list in that case.

👍👍🤘
Targeting a friend in CoH continuously held through attacks so I'm hoping the devs here copy that.
When you defund the police, the terrorists win.

Zagadka

Postby Zagadka » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:17 pm

Target of Target UI elements and assist features are always appreciated in MMOs, especially for healers and support in general. When a modern MMO ships without them, it is disappointing.

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:39 am

NexusSix, I always try to be clear and to not overstate what we have done, and what we plan to do.

Our plan is to give you a yes answer to each of the four questions you posted.

We're not there yet. But we do intend to have those features. The issue for us is that we are working to get a Beta going, and we are not entirely sure that we will have all of those features in the game on the first day of the Beta.

But eventually -- the answers are yes. :)

Odee

Postby Odee » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:41 am

NexusSix, I always try to be clear and to not overstate what we have done, and what we plan to do.

We're not there yet. But we do intend to have those features. The issue for us is that we are working to get a Beta going, and we are not entirely sure that we will have all of those features in the game on the first day of the Beta.

But eventually -- the answers are yes. :)
Looking at Consultants response, and my initial one, maybe I should try being a Psychic as a job? ;) :D

NexusSix

Postby NexusSix » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:48 am

Great!

As I mentioned before, it's rare enough that Tab targeting be used at all these days; rarer yet is for it to be implemented in the full classic style. Knowing that this is part of the plan gives me a great deal of hope. I will try to be patient!

Thanks!

Right, now where did I put my cape...

Chip

Postby Chip » Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:40 am

I believe a follow command is very important for support character.

Odee

Postby Odee » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:57 am

Agreed 150%

Dying Breath

Postby Dying Breath » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:05 pm

Perhaps I'm ignorant here, being that I was mostly a solo player, but I can't think of any situation where using follow was better than simply moving your character. In CoH I used follow in three situations: I was dual-boxing; I was afk while the team was moving to a mission door; I was queuing up Bone Smasher from across the room. For me, the follow command was a nice luxury but far from necessary. What circumstances make follow more important for support over say a ranged damage dealer?

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:16 am

We did code and add in a follow command a few days ago. We're also adding in a capability to auto-fire one power as long as the character has energy.

While no one mentioned it, I think this set of two powers is useful if a healer is on a team and needs to make a sudden bio-break during a prolonged combat effort. Or if a sleeping child suddenly wakes up. I had both of those requests during my time playing COH.

Return to “General Discussion”