Aggro mechanics

Pyrion

Aggro mechanics

Postby Pyrion » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:41 am

There was another thread where people started to discuss tanker taunt mechanics and i thought it might be a good idea to make a dedicated thread for it. I have some ideas about it:

1) Tanks need taunt powers, AE and single target. Single target should be much better for single targets than the AE version. Distance from tank should play a role (GladDog already suggested that, great idea).

2) Offensive powers should not just build aggro proportional to their damage. Secondary effects should play a role. And it would be nice to have cheap (endurance to damage ratio) offensive powers that draw more aggro as a downside. So the blast power that lets all enemies drop down to the floor might generate more aggro per damage than the blast that just does the same damage.

Post here if you have more or different ideas.

Consultant

Re: Aggro mechanics

Postby Consultant » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:42 am

Thank you! We do indeed need to pull this important topic off of the thread on when the next video will launch. :)

And i agree with the need to have both single target and AOE taunt powers. Single targe is critical for pulling a bad guy off of a damage dealer in certain situations, without losing the mob the tank is holding.

Parabola

Postby Parabola » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:41 am

I agree with those saying on the other thread that a hard limit on the number of enemies you can aggro seems a clunky solution. However it does address a couple of important problems.

Firstly it's a bit silly for every enemy that comes near a tank to view his threat in the same way. There has to come a point where the enemy says to himself 'yeah he did call my mum a bad word but i think my 50 mates might have him covered, what about that bloke hiding in the back launching bombs at us?!'.

Also it was mentioned that with no cap a high level tank could herd a low level zone in complete safety. This has obvious implications for balance and fun etc. No-one at any point in their heroic career should feel that there is no point in them being involved.

I wonder if it would be possible to counter these problems without a hardcap with the following:

Add a factor into the threat mechanic that takes into account how many other active mobs are focussed on the threat maker. This could be clamped so it didn't start to take effect until a certain threshold has been reached. So for example the first 15 mobs are taunted at the full effect of whatever the taunting power is but beyond that each mob is affected slightly less. This would eventually create a softcap but one that depended on the strength of the taunting power and the threat generated by other players.

The other issue could be solved by a mechanic along the lines of 'I don't care what he called my mum, have you seen the size of him?!'. Essentially mobs lose interest in threat when there is a big disparity between thier level and that of the tank. Again this could work much like the above, the first 15 or whatever mobs would engage regardless but beyond that each extra mob has an increasing 'i'm going to quietly walk away and hope he doesn't notice me' factor suppressing the threat they feel.

Just a couple of thoughts, i confess this isn't an area I've given a huge amount of thought to in the past so i might be talking rubbish!

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:45 am

Not sold on a single target Taunt. a ranged AOE Taunt and a Melee AOE Taunt (think Gauntlet) is more than sufficient. replacing either one of them for a single target taunt is a bad idea.

I have no issues with adding a single target taunt to the other two but I would probably never use it. a ranged AoE taunt could easily do the same job and better
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

Coyote

Postby Coyote » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:57 pm

An idea for ranged Taunts might be to give all melee characters options to have ranged attacks. Maybe built into the powerset like Hurl Boulder, or maybe from a Power Pool. Then, you allow these attacks to be slotted for aggro. If Tanks already have a higher AT multiple for aggro build-up on attacks, and they slot their ranged attack for increased aggro, it should be possible to throw something at a target and pull it to you even if the power is not really efficient when considered as a damage power.

This gives Tanks a ranged Taunt option, while not wasting a power for those players who feel that a Taunt power just takes up space in their powerset. The ones who want to hold aggro slot for aggro and get a high-aggro ranged hit that is inefficient as a damage power, and the others can slot for damage.

Odee

Postby Odee » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:54 pm

An idea for ranged Taunts might be to give all melee characters options to have ranged attacks. Maybe built into the powerset like Hurl Boulder, or maybe from a Power Pool. Then, you allow these attacks to be slotted for aggro. If Tanks already have a higher AT multiple for aggro build-up on attacks, and they slot their ranged attack for increased aggro, it should be possible to throw something at a target and pull it to you even if the power is not really efficient when considered as a damage power.

This gives Tanks a ranged Taunt option, while not wasting a power for those players who feel that a Taunt power just takes up space in their powerset. The ones who want to hold aggro slot for aggro and get a high-aggro ranged hit that is inefficient as a damage power, and the others can slot for damage.
I can see this ranged taunt as a very low, or no damage attention getter. Much like the venerable, Your momma wore combat boots. Or, Silly target, I fart in your general direction!
Rah-rah Ree! Kick 'em in the Knee!
Rah-rah Rose! Punch 'em in the Nose!
Rah-rah Ralls! Kick 'em in the other Knee!

gemini

Postby gemini » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:47 am

Not sold on a single target Taunt. a ranged AOE Taunt and a Melee AOE Taunt (think Gauntlet) is more than sufficient. replacing either one of them for a single target taunt is a bad idea.

I have no issues with adding a single target taunt to the other two but I would probably never use it. a ranged AoE taunt could easily do the same job and better
a Ranged single target taunt would only have the upside of "Short cooldown"-- maybe unnecessary?

Return to “General Discussion”