Login test feedback

DieHardKiller

Re: Login test feedback

Postby DieHardKiller » Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:35 pm

My name was Jen 2 in the Login Test and my specs are - Intel Core i7 - 4770k (3.5 GHZ) - Ram - 8GB Nvidia - Geforce GTX 760. PC is about 6 or 7 years old and FPS where all over the place really, but mainly stayed around 30+ at lowest setting and around 22 FPS with Ultra setting. Max FPS i saw away from other players and zoomed all the way in was around 40 to 45 FPS but when i was moving around players and jumping and other players moving around me in my line of site i had ALOT of lag, FPS would go down to about 1 to 5 FPS and jump back up to 20 to 30 FPS. I never lagged out either and i was playing with the graphics setting the whole time. Great work team, can't wait to be playing with you all soon!

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:53 pm

My name was Jen 2 in the Login Test and my specs are - Intel Core i7 - 4770k (3.5 GHZ) - Ram - 8GB Nvidia - Geforce GTX 760. PC is about 6 or 7 years old and FPS where all over the place really, but mainly stayed around 30+ at lowest setting and around 22 FPS with Ultra setting. Max FPS i saw away from other players and zoomed all the way in was around 40 to 45 FPS but when i was moving around players and jumping and other players moving around me in my line of site i had ALOT of lag, FPS would go down to about 1 to 5 FPS and jump back up to 20 to 30 FPS. I never lagged out either and i was playing with the graphics setting the whole time. Great work team, can't wait to be playing with you all soon!
My computer Twin!! sounds just like my build and experience
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

All Ship of Heroes Videos

IN BLACKEST DAY, IN BRIGHTEST NIGHT,
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE.
LET THOSE WHO POST THEIR SPAM-ISH SLIGHT
FACE THE POWER OF ACE'S MIGHT!

Jordan Yen

Postby Jordan Yen » Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:28 pm

I had to leave early, but I never dropped below 45fps. I have an Asus I7 8th gen 32Gb Ram 6Gb Nvidia laptop.

The standing pose was a bit wonky with one arm hanging down
I was dying without being able to invert my Y axis (CoH is the reason I do this backwards from everyone else...)
There was a white bar in the bottom right that I think was Win10 notification, but it never went away.
Slash commands are hard to do because hitting slash doesn't bring up the chat window like CoH did.
A run command would be useful (R for run like in CoH maybe?)

All in all, looks nice, great potential, definitely exciting. I don't have time now to read the rest of the reactions, but it was fun :)
Please see my Everything I Hope for A City of Heroes Sequel Game article for the most important things I want to see in a new game.

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:33 pm

I had to leave early, but I never dropped below 45fps. I have an Asus I7 8th gen 32Gb Ram 6Gb Nvidia laptop.

I was dying without being able to invert my Y axis (CoH is the reason I do this backwards from everyone else...)
There was a white bar in the bottom right that I think was Win10 notification, but it never went away.
Slash commands are hard to do because hitting slash doesn't bring up the chat window like CoH did.

All in all, looks nice, great potential, definitely exciting. I don't have time now to read the rest of the reactions, but it was fun :)
/invertmouse Y

I had to ask when I first logged in. sorry no one was able to tell you this.
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

All Ship of Heroes Videos

IN BLACKEST DAY, IN BRIGHTEST NIGHT,
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE.
LET THOSE WHO POST THEIR SPAM-ISH SLIGHT
FACE THE POWER OF ACE'S MIGHT!

ScottJackson

Postby ScottJackson » Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:24 pm

Time slot: 1pm

Configuration of Hardware & Software:
Desktop PC running game, with Chrome open in the background with 2 tabs (SoH forum, Discord)
OS- latest Windows 10
CPU- i5-3750K
Memory- 8GB
Graphics- AMD RX580 8GB
Monitor- LCD flat panel TV with native 4K and 1920x1080 resolutions (limited to 1920x1080 during test, which is what I use for all games)
Network- 14 Mbps DL / 7 Mbps UL, typical latency of 100-200ms to game servers for other MMOs
Power- UPS with watt meter display

Test results:
At the login screen, my graphics card fans and possibly those of other components began to race immediately despite no obvious demand for graphics processing.

Using default settings upon first login at around 12:55pm EST, my FPS was in the 60-75 range with about 20 players around the arch, and FPS improved to nearly constant 75 as I moved away from the arch to explore the surroundings.

After moving back under the arch and with more players (about 50) gathering around with many displaying torches, FPS stayed above 60 at zoom levels I tend to use (camera about 20 feet behind avatar).

I switched to fullscreen (not windowed), ultra settings (manual 4) and zoomed out fully, at which point FPS declined to around 50.

After playing with the video settings for a while, I notice the patchy avatar surface appearance noted by others. I logged out and back in, which resolved it. During the login, the screen showed a black-with-green-circles view until loading was done, for about 20 seconds. I assumed this is normal for a player with a modest network connection when loading into a populated area, though most games I've seen show the world right away, then slowly load avatars.

As more players joined the test, FPS decreased to around 40 at full zoom-out. I tried to reduce the settings (back to auto, and to manual 1, 2, & 3) but it seemed to have less effect than I'd expect, with gains of less than 5 FPS regardless of the settings I tried, though I didn't try every possible combination. The torch command began to misbehave (wouldn't toggle unless /wave was used to clear it) and artifacts appeared from other avatars' torches, but it wasn't too distracting.

At the max number of concurrent players (80+) and worst conditions (night/evening with torches and jumping), ultra settings, and full zoom-out, I observed FPS in the 25-30 range. This was still what I consider good performance and playable conditions. Zooming back in to a more normal view (about 20 feet behind my avatar) pushed FPS closer toward 30.

Commentary & Impressions:
Overall, a well-conducted test; thanks to the dev team and everyone who participated, ensuring a useful test environment. FPS remained acceptable to me even at the most demanding times, at which point it was in the upper 20s. I did not experience any crashes, and only saw small and fixable graphical artifacts.

There was some possible latency / desyncing of moving avatars during the busier times, where avatars appeared to snap back to a prior position faster than purely reversing their keyboard inputs should allow, but I can't be certain as some of these unusual movements may have been real and intentional on the part of other testers. My own avatar moved correctly with key inputs and did not appear to rubber-band at any time.

Fan noise and power consumption was high throughout testing, well beyond that experienced in games such as Rift. Some setting options to further decrease graphics processing load may be helpful for those of us who's like to balance performance versus noise/power consumption, without reducing screen resolution or texture quality of the world and one's own avatar. These could involve a desired upper limit for FPS (I could easily lock to 30 max and be satisfied), or LOD controls on how much other player detail is shown and to what distance they appear at all.

The appearance of the zone (buildings, weather, time of day effects, trees) was good, with the understanding that this is not a natural environment and may be robot-maintained, so can be expected to appear uniform and manufactured, with few-to-no variations (scuffs on sidewalks, bent railings, etc). I liked the darkness of night for the short duration we experienced, but it is likely to interfere with gameplay once time moves at a regular pace. That lack of light may be best reserved for "scary" environments meant to conceal enemies or in a sort of puzzle solvable by using light-generating powers. Naturalness of certain movements such as jumping, torch-holding while in motion, and the unvarying idle pose have an uncanny valley feel to me, but that wasn't the purpose of the test so I'll stop there.

The UI was functional (where needed) and clean. Chat was difficult to follow, due to its short history, control overlap with camera zooming when trying to scroll the chat with the mousewheel, and the name: message formatting which caused narrow multi-line blocks of text with blank space to their left (especially under long names).

Responsiveness of the movement and camera controls was good, though with customizable settings (such as camera turn rate limit and "driftless" option for precision zooming) it will be even better.

Thanks again for the opportunity to participate and provide feedback! If questions arise on the test result I provided, feel free to contact me.
Last edited by ScottJackson on Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Byph

Postby Byph » Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:05 pm

Feedback on the test
- Love the blue login screen and rounded edges on the UI elements. Very nostalgic.
- Ran buttery smooth on twin GTX 980s. No discernable network lag/rubber banding or frame lag. The high quality of the AA made regular HD... tolerable.
- Would have liked to test at 4K and no AA for comparison. My old eyes now produce something akin to AA at 4K for free and in real time.
- The engine was a great choice. I couldn't stop looking at all the reflections.
- I really like the lighting being computed on the fly versus pre-baked textures. I think its called physically based rendering, or maybe that's a specific technique. Regardless, I spent a lot of time running around trying my torch on different materials to see the diffuse and specular components. I hope that at least some powers will act as light sources (and that we can choose the hue of our power set, e.g. pink flame casting pink light, green flame casting green light, etc.).
- Speaking of powers acting as light sources, the torches seemed a bit dim, and/or their ranges too short.
- If you're using depth of field it's appropriately subtle. I prefer haze (color changes) to cue my brain to distance over defocus. If you're mixing the techniques you've nailed it.
- I noticed that the collision box on stairs is a ramp (not individual steps). For this game, I think I prefer the ramp approach. Its nostalgic and I like the flowing effect it has on movement.
- Speaking of movement... it doesn't feel right. Maybe it's the jump animation, or maybe that your stride doesn't match the distance covered. It needs more work. Its odd because I didn't get that feeling with the videos.
- I think you have improvements to faces in the works. In the build we saw they appeared a bit waxen.
- I'd like to see more of these events. The community building was palpable, and the potential for rapid iteration is there.

positivegamer1

Postby positivegamer1 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:32 am

My Desktop Build:

Motherboard: EVGA Z97 Classified
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0 GHz
Ram: 32GB DDR3 2133 MHz
GPU: 4GB GTX 970
HDD: 480GB SSD

Test Experience:

Overall everything ran smooth. I streamed the test on YouTube and did notice that with OBS running my frames would hover around 40 FPS. Without OBS running I would get 55-60 FPS. This could be due to stress on the PC, but I wanted to mention it. I had the graphics set to ultra.

A lot of viewers were asking me about the character movement. They thought it looked off, but couldn't quite figure out what it was. Some of the comments expressed concern over the jumping, but I loved it. It felt right to me.

I noticed this comment was addressed/answered during the test, but when zooming in all the way it felt as if the camera was zooming to the torso area which set the camera a tad low when looking around in "first person."

SR20Slider

Postby SR20Slider » Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:28 am

I was in the 10am slot, logged in as "jingle".
I didnt realize I needed to press win+prntscrn so I didnt get any of the many SS I thought I got by holding the prntscrn button :(. I am a mechanic and computers aren't my speciality lol.

But I was on an asus laptop
I7-8750 2.2GHZ
GTX 1050ti 4GB
8GB ram
1TB SSHD

Away from the crowd I was seeing up to 55fps.

In the crowd I was getting 40-45 zoomed out and 25-30 zoomed in.

Fps dropped by 3-5 during night in the crowd.

Was having a blast just running around finding things to jump on.

So happy I was able to be a part of it. Even more happy that I got the 10am time slot which was an hour before I had to leave for work.

Thanks again SoH devs. I dont post ever but I do log in almost daily to stay up to date with things. I hope to be apart of the next test.

Tomblady

Postby Tomblady » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:18 am

We run it one two systems with the same spec and had the same experiences:
10 AM Slot

Intel I5 4690
8 GB RAM
4GB Asus GTX 970

FPS in populated areas 40-50
with low population 50-60

On login I always had the message Test code not correct. But worked after some trys.
Movement and jumps feel a little stiff. Environment and lighting looks great but at night in some places too dark.
Some kind of collision with cars and train should be there. What about a force field pushing us back. It could even give a glow on impact.
Zooming in should go to the head or shoulder blades and not to the butt, even if those looked nice ;)
Lettering in the chat window looked strange. I had to look twice to check if it was a a or o or a c or C.

It was a great experience. Thank you for giving us the chance to participate.
If you need us again for testing, we gladly help.

Inkaris and Tomblady

Zirani

Postby Zirani » Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:34 am

10am slot, couldn't get in.
Tried to reload with the zip file then a complete reinstall, nothing worked.
error message every time (quite a few of us had the same problem).

The glober shader cache file is missing. C:Ship of Heroes/SOHGame/Engine/GlobalShaderCache-PCD3D_SM4.bin is missing.
Your application is built to load COOKED content. No COOKED content was found.

The full text has been shared on Discord by more than one player.

nExipnos

Postby nExipnos » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:46 am

4 PM Slot
Username Given In-Game: Maiden Bergljot

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Processor Black Edition (Super old I know but it's a beast and it keeps on kicking!)
RAM: 16GB
GPU: GTX 1070

FPS: 35-45 depending on what I was doing. I did drop to approx. 25 FPS at some points but I have no doubt the CPU plays a large part in bottle-necking that though. I will say that even though the FPS was on the lower side, it was entirely smooth. If I hadn't been looking at the actual number I would have never known as the game offered no indication it was struggling (which is freakin' awesome!).

I mentioned an interesting drop in detail on characters around the time we started lining up. It was like some of the textures defaulted and muscles and features on the body started to look like clay forms (or rough sculptures). I wish I had grabbed a screenshot but I missed the opportunity. However, I did notice something about that experience as well the more I thought about it. In the daylight the characters looked great. The details were perfect. When night came, the details seemed to fade and then eventually things like eye color, muscle form, texture etc just were not visible. When dawn broke and the sun started coming up, I noticed that details started to slowly come back and I started noticing color in eyes again and some muscle form etc. I will also note that this was after the second (?) rotation of time of day and I had been in the game for approx. a half hour or more?

I am very impressed with most of the movement animations. Walking, running, side-stepping etc all look amazing. So happy with those and can't wait to see what type of travel animations will come with this game. The jumping however...That snap mid-jump where your body looks like an action figure being turned at the torso and your knees shoot out to the right...is jarring. The jump off to mid-air looks incredibly real and just when you're expecting the body of the character to go into a crouch position to ready for the downward mount, their knees shoot out to the side. The landing however, is also great and it does suit the way the legs are positioned, but it literally looks like 2 different animations were taped together.

I personally really liked the level of darkness at night. I didn't find it was too dark at all. If anything, I would imagine you could also change contrast/brightness settings on the client side yourself if you felt it was too dark. I have needed to do that in some games but I didn't feel the need to here.

I realize we're still very early in the development of this game so please don't take this feedback negatively. I very much appreciate the opportunity to get in there and look around and hope to get the opportunity again in the future!!!!!

On that note, here is a screenshot. Can we please bask in the glory that is in the details here? Those trees, those leg pads and knee pads (LOVE them!), the texture of the fabric on the suit. I am very impressed at this early stage I can't wait to see more!!

Jordan Yen

Postby Jordan Yen » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:02 am

/invertmouse Y

I had to ask when I first logged in. sorry no one was able to tell you this.
No worries! I figured there was something or would be... I was just barfing out my thoughts because I was too rushed yesterday :)
Please see my Everything I Hope for A City of Heroes Sequel Game article for the most important things I want to see in a new game.

Jordan Yen

Postby Jordan Yen » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:04 am

Test results:
At the login screen, my graphics card fans and possibly those of other components began to race immediately despite no obvious demand for graphics processing.

I forgot about this, but it was the same for me. My poor laptop was crying the moment it opened the client though I'm pretty sure the loginscreen didn't rate that level of panic.

Gravygoat

Postby Gravygoat » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:44 am

Windows 10
AMD Ryzon 7 1800X
16312 MB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti (11263MB VRAM, resolution 2560x1600)
1:00PM EST test group

On startup the game was in full-screen, pre-selected resolution and hitting about 70-ish FPS. Dropped into 50s under the arch. Later went to full-screen windowed mode, desktop resolution (2560x1600) and held at about 40 FPS under arch, a few frames higher further away with less on-screen players. EDITED TO MENTION: I bumped manual graphics control slider to "4" which I believe maxed out all graphics options.

I had no problems downloading the launcher, having the launcher download the game, all that worked as expected. I had no problems using the login information I was provided.

Anomalies/issues:
- playing character for LoginTest28 - Lava Girl - there was some weird tearing/dragging of a piece of her left foot while she was moving. Pretty sure Parkhyeyeon who runs the Discord server had the same toon and posted a screenshot of the exact same issue.
- a few places where collisions didn't seem to be occurring - in one of the big round "pools" that looks like covered in leaves I sunk down to my knees. Cars didn't bump into me.
- Late in the test when there were close to 80 people online I logged out and back in, and the game would not render my character. I could see others running around, I could move about, but was invisible. Also noted my toolbar at the bottom center of the screen was missing. I am assuming there was some server-side communication that was not happening probably due to the load. At the end of the test when one of the devs announced they were restarting to "profile" the server and that we could log back in for a few minutes if we wanted, I did do that and I could see my character rendered again.

General feedback - I like the look of the city very much, looking forward to exploring more. Characters in general looked good but there is a feel to them that is understandably common to other Unreal-based games out there, not sure if there is any easy way to avoid the generic Unreal feel. It's mostly good - but the jumping animation is weird-looking.

I appreciate very much having the opportunity to participate and I hope you will have more tests involving the community.

-- Gravygoat

Taivas

Postby Taivas » Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:39 pm

Slot: 1PM. Character: Cyanide. Username: LoginTest44.

Game seemed to run smooth for me. I dipped down to what looked to be about 35-40fps at one point for a few minutes, but for the most part it stayed around 50-60fps. It didn't seem to want to go any higher than that which doesn't really bother me since settings were maxed.

I played on a Windows 10 PC with an i5 4690k (not overclocked), GTX 1060 6GB, and 16GB of ram at 1080p. I imagine my laptop would have also been able to run the game at around 30-40fps maxed out but I only tested on PC.

There was some random teleporting. I teleported to the beach twice and as I got up a ramp to approach another player I teleported a few feet away from them and had to run back towards them again. Aside from that there were no issues for me.

Return to “General Discussion”