My key bind files from City of Heroes (nostalgia)

Mearlin

My key bind files from City of Heroes (nostalgia)

Postby Mearlin » Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:48 pm

Just something I found while looking around in my stuff for CoH screenshots. These are the key bind files I used. They are generic and could be customized for the specific character. It would be nice if SoH would eventually allow something similar.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o0zhpy0vxd8sq ... s.zip?dl=0

Golden Ace

Re: My key bind files from City of Heroes (nostalgia)

Postby Golden Ace » Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:55 pm

nice.

Glad we finally got you to post.

I have not pushed for a while, but I want to reiterate that we need binds in the game not just macro's. Keybinds made the whole game play much more fun. I used rotating binds on all my characters.

I used the number pad to switch between rotating binds and the F5 key to run them. I was a tank so many of them were set to Taunt. at the end of the each bind string it would sent my character's bind back to it's default one. which would rotate unless I wanted to do one of the other ones. lol I had a spreadsheet telling me what numbers to press to load.
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:29 am

I meant to bring this up in the forums, and this seems to be a good spot. Dirtsleeper just worked on some code to enable key binds in SoH, so I'm going to refer this link to him.

To be fair, he enabled key binds...no actual key binds have been coded or activated yet. But let's make him aware. :)

We definitely want to have some good capabilities in this regard.

One of the funny things from the COH days -- I knew key binds were theoretically available...but I never set any of them up. I guess that's a hint that we should make it easier to do than COH did. Or at least more publicly visible.

And Mearlin -- thank you.

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:38 am

the key thing about CoH binds that made them so unique was the "bind_load_file" command.

this allowed you to do a bind then load another file to do another bind by pressing the same key.

all my binds were activated by pressing F5

below is an example. for instance Ace01.txt when completed the bind would direct the next file to be opened - in this case it is Ace02.txt, then 2 would say open Ace03.txt until the string got to bind Ace08.txt where it would say go back to Ace01.txt

Ace01.txt
F5 "local ♫ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, sometimes you don't ♪$$powexec_name taunt$$bind_load_file c:\1\ace02.txt"

Ace02.txt
F5 "local ♫ The best part of waking up is Golden Ace on your team. ♪$$powexec_name taunt$$bind_load_file c:\1\ace03.txt"

Ace03.txt
F5 "local ♫ Like a good neighbor, Golden Ace is there. ♪$$powexec_name taunt$$bind_load_file c:\1\ace04.txt"

Ace08.txt
F5 "local ♫ Golden Ace - We treat you right. ♪$$powexec_name taunt$$bind_load_file c:\1\ace01.txt"

I would control which song he would sing by the number pads.

numpad1 would always send the bind back to the default setting (Ace01.txt) and at the end of each song it would also send him back to Ace01.txt.

numpad0 would open up a second set of commands for additional binds.

so pressing numpad0 followed by numpad4 would bring up the bind string for hotel california. by pressing F5 I would run through the lines of the bind until the last line which would bring me back to Ace01.txt

numpad1 "bind_load_file c:\1\ace01.txt"
numpad2 "bind_load_file c:\1\Monk01.txt"
numpad3 "bind_load_file c:\1\Adams01.txt"
numpad4 "bind_load_file c:\1\Things01.txt"
numpad5 "bind_load_file c:\1\Miranda01.txt"
numpad6 "bind_load_file c:\1\Gilligan01.txt"
numpad7 "bind_load_file c:\1\Ring01.txt"
numpad8 "bind_load_file c:\1\Mambo01.txt"
numpad9 "bind_load_file c:\1\Birthday01.txt"
numpad0 "bind_load_file c:\1\set2.txt"

set2.txt
numpad1 "bind_load_file c:\1\ace01.txt"
numpad2 "bind_load_file c:\1\Bohemian01.txt"
numpad3 "bind_load_file c:\1\Imagine01.txt"
numpad4 "bind_load_file c:\1\Hotel01.txt"
numpad5 "bind_load_file c:\1\Jude01.txt"
numpad0 "bind_load_file c:\1\set2.txt"
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

Mearlin

Postby Mearlin » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:25 pm

I'm glad this is helpful!

Thug, Robot were for the Mastermind class.
The others are for those classes.

The "How To.txt" file explains how they were installed and used mostly.

Something that might not be apparent in the Mastermind files is the pets had names. So in one file there is a line "numpad4 petcom_name Symbiosis Aggressive", The name of the pet was "Symbiosis" (This was how each pet was differentiated) and "Aggressive" was the stance the pet would take.

One other thing that is not in these files, I had text that would output when I hit the keys. This would let the group know what my pets were doing and or going after. This text was typically put in the general channel because the missions were instanced and only the group could see that text, so as to not fill up the groups text window. I lost those files.

Odee

Postby Odee » Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:29 am

I meant to bring this up in the forums, and this seems to be a good spot. Dirtsleeper just worked on some code to enable key binds in SoH, so I'm going to refer this link to him.

To be fair, he enabled key binds...no actual key binds have been coded or activated yet. But let's make him aware. :)

We definitely want to have some good capabilities in this regard.

One of the funny things from the COH days -- I knew key binds were theoretically available...but I never set any of them up. I guess that's a hint that we should make it easier to do than COH did. Or at least more publicly visible.

And Mearlin -- thank you.
Does this mean we can expect to at least have Battle Cries at launch, and/or Eat hot plasma! shouts when we activate a certain power?
Rah-rah Ree! Kick 'em in the Knee!
Rah-rah Rose! Punch 'em in the Nose!
Rah-rah Ralls! Kick 'em in the other Knee!

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:39 am

We want to have them, but we're not quite there for promising it.

I try to be fair and not promise too much stuff before we have it built. That can be frustrating, I know.

But let me just say, my battlecry for one of my villains was "Captain Plunder, he's no hero; takes your healthbar down to zero!"

Well, it seemed funnier back in 2010. :)

indigowulf

Postby indigowulf » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:58 pm

I also was a keybind fanatic. I named all my "agressive" pets with an A in the name, "defensive" with a d, and so on, to make pet control binds easier. I had rotating taunts for my (1) tank, full emote+battlecry+pause+power binds, the ever popular "locking down (target) you spank it you tank it!" and so many more.

Honestly I think the only reason I made a tank was for rotating taunt binds. That, and her name was Yellow Brick Road, a small yellow stone tank for teams to follow :P
~indigowulf global, SG Feral Storm (future founder!)

Return to “General Discussion”