What power from CoH do you miss the most and also which one the least?

Gamegod

Re: What power from CoH do you miss the most and also which one the least?

Postby Gamegod » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:00 pm

Man I really miss the water blaster.. massive dmg with low downtime for the nuke. The power animations were awesome as well.
Never say too much; always say enough. :roll:

Gamegod

Postby Gamegod » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:02 pm

I would have to say energy aura was my least favorite

Rune

Postby Rune » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:25 pm

Least favorite sets: claws, the blaster/corruptor gun power set (name eludes me at the moment), FITNESS. I hated having to designated three powers slots to fitness on all my characters!
Hey I had a lot of favs, but I wanted to point this out more than anything else. Fitness should have been eliminated and all it's effects just rolled into all characters as basic functions. Almost everyone needed fitness, especially for stamina return, but then better game design would have just made it so everyone regenerated stamina that much better and moved just that little bit faster and so on, instead of making people focus a power pool, power picks and slots into a boring necessary evil choice.

I had a Dark Melee/Super Reflexes Scrapper that was pretty boss, since he was naturally hard to hit and his attacks and special effects lowered foes accuracy, therefore double dipping and flooring enemies ability to hit him often.

Later I made a Dark Melee/Willpower Brute for the same type of theme, and it worked even better since Willpower [once properly set up with well chosen IO enhancements slotted] had a decent amount of all three defense types, some resistance, some dodge, and some regen all at once, and came out quite a bit tougher than the old scrapper had.

I fondly recall and Ice/Energy Blaster as well, and I tend to agree with Gladdog that Energy secondary for blasters was really hard to pass up.

JestersGhost

Postby JestersGhost » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:26 am

Hey I had a lot of favs, but I wanted to point this out more than anything else. Fitness should have been eliminated and all it's effects just rolled into all characters as basic functions. Almost everyone needed fitness, especially for stamina return, but then better game design would have just made it so everyone regenerated stamina that much better and moved just that little bit faster and so on, instead of making people focus a power pool, power picks and slots into a boring necessary evil choice.
People will always want more though - if they upped the base levels to include fitness, then still offered fitness as a power pool, everyone would have still run fitness, and complained that it should have been inherent :P

They shouldn't really offer it as a power-pool though - making it an inherent set of powers you can enhance worked well, once they did that, but in many ways I reckon that thinking could have been extended: have all the core base stats have an inherent power (accuracy, damage,etc.) which people can slot and enhance. The base levels might not be too high, so a fully slotted power only offers the same as one equivalent enhancement in a power from a set, but hey, five slots into one power saves you slot across /all/ your powers. I dunno, haven't done the math, may have been too good, but it just feels like a nice way to tune a character a bit further.
[ quantum sufficit / casual-tempest.net / My Combat Mechanics Thread ]

Jasix

Postby Jasix » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:40 pm

I loved it when they made the fitness pool inherent. Granted you still needed to slot it (if you wanted to), but at least you didn't have to waste 3-4 power picks to get the benefits. I generally had 3 slots in Health and 3 in Stamina - 2 procs (Numina and Miracle) and a Healing IO in Health, and the End Proc and an End Mod IO in Stamina).
Original backer #122.

Web

Postby Web » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:17 pm

I miss the Mastermind set the most, specifically my Bots/ Trap mastermind named G Status.

I loved that set for PvP, and TP for was a truly evil concept when coupled with trip mines, caltrops, and poison trap.

I don't know that there was a set that I don't miss, they had some really great variety for powersets in that game. I miss them everyday while playing DCUO.

I guess the medicine and presence sets I don't miss, I always thought they really needed more work put into them. Conceptually I liked them, but in practice they were lacking.

A1fighter

Postby A1fighter » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:43 pm

Has costume change emote animations been touched upon?

Like a guy drinking something then transforming into an Alien.

Elleriel

Postby Elleriel » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:04 am

My pefered characters were mainly controllers or COV variant :

- I really loved Gravity / Tempest (very bad dps but hours of fun to see ennemies trying to reach you and being repelled).
- Plant were funny too (far more good for dps with fire in secondary).

I'm very sad to see that there won't be controllers at launch of SOH.

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:20 am

We're not promising controllers at launch. We're still trying to see if it is possible. So there is no promise, but that does not mean we won't find a way...

We hate to over-promise.

Warhead

Postby Warhead » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:58 am

My pefered characters were mainly controllers or COV variant :

- I really loved Gravity / Tempest (very bad dps but hours of fun to see ennemies trying to reach you and being repelled).
- Plant were funny too (far more good for dps with fire in secondary).

I'm very sad to see that there won't be controllers at launch of SOH.
I did like my plant controller villain. Chloro-Phyllis was a lot of fun to play. I can be patient for the controllers though. There seems to be lots of great stuff to choose at launch.

I also kind of liked the fitness power pool. I had some characters where I felt the basic travel powers didn't seem to fit their origin and power set and I used the Fitness pool to just make them slightly advanced humans.

SwitchFade

Postby SwitchFade » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:11 pm

Goodness, I loved most of them.

Tops? kheldians. Warshade, triform. Just.... Superb.

Dual pistols animations were incredible!

Dual swords all around awesome!

Earth/storm combo, so much control!

Invuln tank, before they smooshed it with the GDN, top tank fav

D3 defender, so much darkity, and fluffy! What an awesome pet!

I could go on, but alas...

Least favorite? I loved energy blast, but the knockback in it was just... Way OP.

Gamegod

Postby Gamegod » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:25 pm

I loved when the devs introduced those enhancements that added the KB cancelation process to powers. I brought my energy blaster out of retirement. NO more knockback! in my powers I was overjoyed :D

twicebitten

Postby twicebitten » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:07 pm

As with Consultant, my favorite individual power would have to be Fire Ball. Great up front AOE damage as well as DoT. For a fire/fire blaster, that was always in every power cycle I used, or every build respecing my character.

A big part of what I miss most about CoH was even though I didn't necessarily enjoy playing as certain Archetypes, or using certain powers, so many were so powerful and meaningful, I enjoyed it when team mates had them. Getting an SS/Inv tank on your team meant you might actually have a chance at beating that purple boss at the end of the tf, or an emp healer, or bubble shields, or maybe fire controller, so many different powersets actually changed the teams possibility of success. Building out a team of 8 for a hard mish or tf and ending up with unbalanced teams - inevitably someone would roll to another toon, "Oh let me go grab my controller" etc.

As for least favorite, specific to CoH (not CoX) would probably have been energy blast. I tried so hard to like it. SO much knockback, it was hard to get on teams at one point because as soon as the tank would gather the aggro, I would just blow them all away from the mob. I never tried the knockback reduction stuff they added later in the game though.

pearbear

Postby pearbear » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:03 am

Miss the most: Energy Manipulation's Energy Transfer and Total Focus. I miss the beefy charge up and the buzz and glow of the energy fist. 😆

Miss the least: Martial Art's Eagle Claw. It always disappointed me, lackluster damage and rooting me to my death way too many times. 😛

Zagadka

Postby Zagadka » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:04 pm

What I really miss is my ice blaster. I liked how ice allowed some measure of crowd control, which is necessary when you're soloing as a blaster. Ice plus speed (I preferred super jump) allows you to kite more effectively when you're fighting too many enemies. Maybe not the most effective, but it was fun to play since it blended classes.

Didn't like the other blaster powers that much.

Return to “General Discussion”