What power from CoH do you miss the most and also which one the least?

POSSUMNUTS

Re: What power from CoH do you miss the most and also which one the least?

Postby POSSUMNUTS » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:59 pm

Oh, I hear you LaughingAlex, and it wasn't only Virtue that had that problem (I'm looking at you, late-in-the-game Justice players!) There were times when I would be playing my Empathy Defender on a team that requested my help and then they would turn around and say "Just auto-heal and auto-follow us, we don't need you to do anything else". Then they'd get mad when they still died - because there was a lot more to empathy than just straight heal powers - and I have to explain to them rather bluntly that maybe I know how to play my character better than they did and perhaps they should let me play in peace. It didn't happen super-often but it happened enough that I was wary of saying yes to random team-ups for regular missions.

That being said, just because people were sometimes Dumb doesn't mean that the powerset itself was bad. I actually liked Empathy Defender the most since it was powerful, versatile, and not as difficult to play well as some other healing set-ups in other MMOs. I loved being about to resurrect people in particular, as well as cast Regen/Endurance Auras. It made me a beast team-wise until Incarnates came around.

The power/powerset I liked least? Anything Stalker. The concept was cool but the implementation was terrible. I'd actually like it if SoH redid the idea so that it was actually effective.
I agree with ya on the stalker there. Stalkers as an archtype suffered from I guess a form of "Awesome, but impractical and thus worthless" syndrome. They were only good in pvp because for some reason developers made pvp rules give stalkers an exception for some strange reason so they could assassin strike once in a while, when it should have been zero purely due to how impractical assassin strike was.

I mean it took like 3-4 SECONDS to fire off an assassin strike, this meant in pve in teams other players had to wait around all day for the stalker to pull the attack off. This was a hindrance rather than a help because the benefits were far-outweighed by the 3-4 second deleys which would add up rapidly over time. On top of that A.I.W.S. they lacked area of effect damage 90% of the time, further reducing team effectiveness. And when even the raw numbers indicated they did less damage than even controllers/defenders/tankers overall and many good sets felt gutted of there nuances to accommodate the assassin strike you know something was done wrong.

I think Night widows/bane spiders(the villain epic's) did it right for the kind of gameplay stalkers were aiming for: the "assassin strikes" they had were quick and very immediate. They didn't sacrifice AoE much if at all and on top of that helped the team with smarter buffs. All in all, night widows/bane spiders were useful because they were usable. Stalkers largely weren't that usable. As powerful as assassin strike was it carried far to many disadvantages. Thats why stalkers got a buff to enable them to gain criticals in a fight on enemies next to allies.
I've had over a thousand screen shots of PvP kills on my stalker and gained a notable reputation. Had so many pictures of dead characters laying at my feet that it slowed my computer. My stalker was "least liked" because of how effective he was at PvP. On virtue, a massive group once held an event to kill me. The reward was a LotG 7.5 recharge (when they were rare). He worked perfectly on paper missions, strike forces and badge hunts. Most people lacked an understanding of the archetype.

Van Allen

Postby Van Allen » Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:22 am

What I miss the most is synergy.
I was Fire/Kinetics Controller, the Kinetics healing, sapping, et al work by using an enemy as the target. When said target is first locked down by Fire Control, then you release the Fire Imps to tear him up, Kinetics will heal & boost the Imps and weaken the target enemy. At times it's seamless and quick, once you're high enough in level and know what you're doing.

Synergy, Teleport travel Set with Empathy; a teammate dies, you TP to safety, Recall Friend to bring them to you, resurrect them.

Another thing I miss is when Power Sets get good in the LATER levels. It can be a grind and frustrating at times BUT when it pays off it's more than worth it. Ex: Super Reflexes. And more synergy, my Dark Melee/SR Brute was very tough in the later levels. Only regret is that I didn't make him sooner.

Least Like:
Sets that peak in the early levels. There's nothing to look forward to, gets boring quick.
What Are Dominators. "Much like a spider traps a bug, wraps it up, then starts chewing on it when it's completely unable to escape or defend itself."

C C

Postby C C » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:50 pm

I'm shocked that no one brought up energy melee as their favorite power set! I registered to the forum just now to remind everyone! Build up, aim, Total focus was excellent! My fire/em/invuln blaster was a FORCE in PvP!

How about the ice power set!? I had an ice/ice Dominator with perma-Dom that was dangerous also!

Favorite sets in my opinion: energy, super strength, fire, ice, invulnerability, super reflexes, all four transportation sets were great too.

Favorite character combos:
fire blast/energy melee blaster
super strength/ electric armor brute
em/regen stalker
super strength/super reflex tank
ice/ice dominator
em/stone armor brute
energy/kinetic corruptor

Least favorite sets: claws, the blaster/corruptor gun power set (name eludes me at the moment), FITNESS. I hated having to designated three powers slots to fitness on all my characters!

Sigh... thanks for the memories. Super pumped for SoH!

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:13 pm

As far as I was concerned, there was only one secondary powerset for Blasters; Energy. There were so many self buffs that any primary would be indomitable with it. The others were OK, but energy made Blasters so much better overall.
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

DomiDayglow

Postby DomiDayglow » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:01 pm

Radiation!

I miss my radiation/radiation corruptor so much! I could heal, I could buff, I could debuff, I could rez, and could do damage! I could be a mini controller with choking cloud, EMP Pulse, and power sink! I had so much recharge that accelerated metabolish was permanent! I could blow up my teammates! I loved using vengeance, fallout, and mutation on squished teammates! Being defeated wasn't a bad thing. It was a way for you to do more damage! Yays! I loved radiation's color effects, especially after we had the option to color our powers! Favorite power of the set? Accelerated Metabolism! It did everything! Recharge, recovery, speed, resistance to endurance drain, increased damage! Having the recharge to make it permanent just made the rest of the power set work.

Kinetics!

My second most favoritest character was my Pistol/Kinetics Corruptor! It was just so much fun on that taskforce with the romans! ZOOM! All the time! I could stack so many fulcrum shifts that I could keep a brute permanently at their damage cap! I could keep them going forever with transfusion and transference! My tactics were to attach myself to a brute's hip and say "CHARGE!" and things went splat! Keeping up with siphon speed for myself! Bad things try to squish me? Transfusion! Then, PEWPEWPEW! Fulcrum Shifted pistol-area-squishing-power-I-Forgot-The-Name-Of. Favorite power? Fulcrum Shift! All things go Kersplut!

Streetfighting!

My favorite melee was a streetfighting/energy aura stalker! With teleport! Okay, so, I never really liked stalkers to be honest, but I loved the idea of teleporting around and hitting things! It was just a fun character to me. I remember being softcapped to most typed damage and strong resistance to smashing and lethal, but not much else. I couldn't pick one power in streetfighting that I like the best, it was more the way that all sort of flowed together.

That was the neat thing about city of heroes. Its power sets. Both my favorite characters were corruptors, but with the different power sets they could have a very different styles of play.

Though the most used power in the game? I would have to say it was hasten.

Eulb

Postby Eulb » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:21 pm

Soooo much to miss.... Loved that ....."Knock back" ( yeah i know you tankers don't ) but I do
Let the bright stars ahead guide your journey

Angeles

Postby Angeles » Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:51 pm

Hi!!

I missed Super Jump, Ya ya I know.. its just a travel power.. but Ohh those views leaping through the city! I used to spend time just jumping around.... Shhhh yes.. I know.. Imma geek but Hey.. Imma sexy geek soo ya :lol:
Angeles

Eulb

Postby Eulb » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:41 pm

Tell me what was that power called where your toon would bring up a trash container ( and a plethora of other things ) and then fling it at the bad guy's ?????
loved that one ... and it all ways got a grate laugh to see a cow come flying over you shoulder while fighting in the sewers ... and yes i did see a sink a couple of times go flying buy...

JestersGhost

Postby JestersGhost » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:59 am

Tell me what was that power called where your toon would bring up a trash container ( and a plethora of other things ) and then fling it at the bad guy's ?????
Gravity Control -> Propel
[ quantum sufficit / casual-tempest.net / My Combat Mechanics Thread ]

Zenex

Postby Zenex » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:31 pm

What I miss most would probably be energy melee for the complete destructive power of Energy Transfer and Total Focus together. (even after the nerf bat hit it, the dps went down but ET still hit hard).

What I don't miss would be hibernate AFTER it was nerfed with the no phase period in i13 because that meant no matter how fast you got it to recharge you still had to wait to use it.

sersi

Postby sersi » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:07 pm

i miss making my army of zombies dance.

Eulb

Postby Eulb » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:27 pm

That's " Propel " that is my vote for the funnest power

Sessair

Postby Sessair » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:07 am

I have NEVER played another mmo with a healer power set anywhere near as good as the empaths in COH, the AOE heal the easily targetable single heal and the superduper emergency heal that left the caster vulnerable for a bit because they could not heal themselves...hell there is just nothing like it in any other game I've played. I truly hope they duplicate the emp set here and do NOT forget the Teleport Friend!!!! How many times did I save somebody's butt who died in the middle of a hairball of badguys or literally right at the feet of the boss.

The only power in the teleport set that was worth a damn was teleport friend.
Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I soooooooooooooooooo agree!!! I MISS my empath!!!! LoL and those just in the nick of time rescues! And, it was convenient for instant corpse recovery times too :-)

Sessair
Last edited by Sessair on Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sessair

Postby Sessair » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:10 am

loved that one ... and it all ways got a grate laugh to see a cow come flying over you shoulder while fighting in the sewers ... and yes i did see a sink a couple of times go flying buy...
Too funny!!! I remember that! Strange, whimsical things materializing over their heads right before they fling them!!

Sessair

Sessair

Postby Sessair » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:13 am

Oh, I hear you LaughingAlex, and it wasn't only Virtue that had that problem (I'm looking at you, late-in-the-game Justice players!) There were times when I would be playing my Empathy Defender on a team that requested my help and then they would turn around and say "Just auto-heal and auto-follow us, we don't need you to do anything else". Then they'd get mad when they still died - because there was a lot more to empathy than just straight heal powers - and I have to explain to them rather bluntly that maybe I know how to play my character better than they did and perhaps they should let me play in peace. It didn't happen super-often but it happened enough that I was wary of saying yes to random team-ups for regular missions.

That being said, just because people were sometimes Dumb doesn't mean that the powerset itself was bad. I actually liked Empathy Defender the most since it was powerful, versatile, and not as difficult to play well as some other healing set-ups in other MMOs. I loved being about to resurrect people in particular, as well as cast Regen/Endurance Auras. It made me a beast team-wise until Incarnates came around.
Well said. :-)

Return to “General Discussion”