What power from CoH do you miss the most and also which one the least?

Sinistar

What power from CoH do you miss the most and also which one the least?

Postby Sinistar » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:46 pm

For me the one I miss the most is the Kheldians, whether as Peacebringer or Warshade I miss them both.

Here's hoping that one day Ship of Heroes brings in something akin to them......just don't have knockback in the all the powers like the Peacebringers did :)

The power I miss the least is Stone Armor. I really hated all the slowness that came with granite and rooted, and I hated having to be dependent on a kinetic be willing to speed boost me on a regular basis. Even with some IO's installed to boost speed, granite/rooted was still a pain at times.

Griffin

Re: What power from CoH do you miss the most and also which one the least?

Postby Griffin » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:53 pm

I LOVED Stone Armor. TP to get around. Ice as a secondary to slow and trip up everyone. I was indestructible.
Then came the massive psychic "issues".
I went from Immovable Object (could barely kill anyone with the crushing dmg and recharge debuff ), to "he might get through one groups' alpha strike, but he's going down."

I eventually tweaked it to run in an "okay" way. But I don't want an "okay" tank. I want the WALL.

-Griff

P.S. Totes understand people hating this set. It had some of the largest drawbacks of the tanker sets. I appreciate it for making me learn (and even love?) Teleport as a travel power, as well as the amazing power of taunt.

Griffin

Postby Griffin » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:58 pm

I realize I never answered the original questions:

I miss sapping. All kinds, I ran multiple types of sapper teams, ultimately settling on the tank or brute elec/elec/elec. Lightning rod into the middle, PBAoE burst, one other teammate hitting them.... everyone at 0 energy. glorious. (Kheldians rate as well, but behind this.)

I miss souped up knock back - SOLO a bunch.
I miss souped up knock back - PARTY - NOT AT ALL.
Gather 2 groups, have them taunted, possibly on ice slick to boot...
BOOM, everything goes flying everywhere, and now a battle that would've been over in seconds, drags on to minutes.

-Griff
(Ultimately I'd even play the powersets AND archetypes I didn't like, if it meant I could PLAY again.)

lunawisp

Postby lunawisp » Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:02 pm

My favourite was probably Radiation, my controller used it to weaken enemies and heal teamates. I combined it with fire to lock and burn the miscreants down. Great litle soloer as well as a really useful team member.

My least favourite was my blasters sniper rifle power. My lvl 50 blaster managed to one-shot lvl 3 mobs in Atlas Park with that power - what a waste of space that turned out to be.
lunawisp was my Peacebringer in City of Heroes - she lives on in memory as my gaming id.
https://www.heroesin.space/ - A Blog About Super Heroes and Spaceships

JestersGhost

Postby JestersGhost » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:37 pm

I want to pick everything in ill/storm - I loved that combo. If I had to pick one, it'd be phantom army or tornado, since they're the quintessential powers of that combo - barely controlled-chaos with enemies knocked-up or taunted constantly.

Least favourite? Hmm, tough one. I'm going to vote shadow maul, since that power got my scrapper killed more than any other damn power. The animation time took forever, and the number of times I hit it then noticed the speed my health was dropping...I actually dropped it from my build eventually. Sure, I didn't clear mobs as fast, but I died waaaaay less.
[ quantum sufficit / casual-tempest.net / My Combat Mechanics Thread ]

Flagwaver

Postby Flagwaver » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:59 pm

I miss my Necro/Dark/Soul (Pools: TP/Cmd)

Three Zombies, two Grave Knights, a Lich, and a Dark Servant. I was unstoppable.

What do I not miss? Anything from the Super Reflexes line. I don't know whether it was just me, but I could never get the hang of SR.
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

A bullet may have a name on it, but 20 pounds of C4 is more of a "to whom it may concern."

Sinistar

Postby Sinistar » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:46 pm

I miss my Necro/Dark/Soul (Pools: TP/Cmd)

Three Zombies, two Grave Knights, a Lich, and a Dark Servant. I was unstoppable.

What do I not miss? Anything from the Super Reflexes line. I don't know whether it was just me, but I could never get the hang of SR.
I enjoyed SR on my scrapper and Brute.....but my memory is a bit dusty.....was SR available for tanks also? That set wasn't meant for tanking as I recall.

Hm, yes I did have a Kinetic Melee/SR brute. He could tear through most mobs pretty fast.

Bot/Trap was my favorite Mastermind. Caltrops, poison trap and robots with lasers.....heaven. :)

Sinistar

Postby Sinistar » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:51 pm

I LOVED Stone Armor. TP to get around. Ice as a secondary to slow and trip up everyone. I was indestructible.
Then came the massive psychic "issues".
I went from Immovable Object (could barely kill anyone with the crushing dmg and recharge debuff ), to "he might get through one groups' alpha strike, but he's going down."

I eventually tweaked it to run in an "okay" way. But I don't want an "okay" tank. I want the WALL.

-Griff

P.S. Totes understand people hating this set. It had some of the largest drawbacks of the tanker sets. I appreciate it for making me learn (and even love?) Teleport as a travel power, as well as the amazing power of taunt.
I had to recheck my old CoH character spreadsheet to see what I did with my stone tank, it's been awhile no thanks to NCSoft.

Anyway, I see that I had its first build as your typical granite armor tank with teleport, rez and def capped, but I used its second build to not have granite armor but had all the other powers and was majorly slotted with run bonuses to move fast with rooted on and had flight for travel power. I remember now that some teams were aghast when they saw my power sets and were all like "WHERE IS YOUR GRANITE SUIT?!? We need that to survive this mission!" I was like "Whatever, I am defense capped in this mode and don't feel like changing to my granite build at this time." There was one time when one person kept demanding I switch builds during the missions and even after the team was done for the night the person kept following me from zone to zone demanding I alter my character to their sense of aesthetics.

Talk about taking the game a bit TOO seriously.

Eulb

Postby Eulb » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:23 pm

I'll say this I love " Knock back " oooh please PLEASE PLEASE I will even wait for a few new issues to come out ... lets get the game going first ....small and good then add too ....
Let the bright stars ahead guide your journey

Mr_Axe

Postby Mr_Axe » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:25 am

I loved Shield. Great variety and a spectacular attack. The least? Most Defender sets. I was mostly a Tank or Blaster.

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:54 pm

I miss two setups a lot.

Inv/SS Tanker, definitely the one that gave me the most fun. I loved KO Blow and Foot Stomp! And I had a special place in my heart for Unstoppable, even with the crash. And what about Invinicibility? Surrounded by bad guys, and all you would see is a sea of miss miss miss miss miss miss rising over you. What made CoH closing worse is that the two somewhat similar superhero games that came out after it did not really have a good Inv/SS set. Champions Online was the closest with Might, but it wasn't really even close to the same. DCUO really missed the boat not releasing their 'Might' set. They thought most players would have found it boring. Whatever, they should have given it to us anyway. Instead, they took a few of the powers from the set and put them in the Iconic power choices. Why would you take a game placed in a universe with Superman and Wonder Woman, where you can't really make Superman or Wonder Woman? I level capped and Max incarnated an Inv/SS Tank, and was working on a SS/Inv Brute and an SS/Inv Scrapper when the game closed.

Darkety Dark Dark Scrapper. I liked this setup so much that I level capped two of these Scrappers! I loved the animations (go Soul Drain! WOO!) and the effects, and it was SO MUCH FUN to turn on Cloak of Fear and watch all of the bad guys shiver at your presence! And Oppressive Gloom, what a great effect to put on a crowd of minions! And of course, before they had Stalkers, they had Dark/ Dark/ Dark Scrappers with Cloak of Darkness and Stealth, getting behind the bad guys and unleashing Soul Drain, then Tenabrous Tentacles, and then Shadow Maul! I level capped one, and once they solved the knock back problem (no KB resist in the set) with KB resist IOs, I immediately rolled another one! I started a Dark/ Dark Brute and a Dark/ Dark tank, but they just were not the same.

-------------------------------------------------

The one I liked the least? Hard to say, I liked most of them. I was not much of a pet player, so if I had to pick one it was a Thug Mastermind. The idea of being in charge of unruly thugs was not something that played well in my mind. I am NOT saying that playing a Mastermind sucked, but it sucked for me.

I suppose Mental Control was a set that I was not excited about. Not a whole lot of results for a HUGE expenditure of endurance.
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

Bilious Slick

Postby Bilious Slick » Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:13 pm

For me the one I miss the most is the Kheldians, whether as Peacebringer or Warshade I miss them both.

Here's hoping that one day Ship of Heroes brings in something akin to them......just don't have knockback in the all the powers like the Peacebringers did :)
I'm right there with you - Kheldians were my favorite archetypes, especially Warshades. As a matter of fact, my first (and sadly, only) level 50+ character in CoX was a Warshade, as well as the first of any of my characters in any MMORPG I've played to reach their respective game's level cap. I'd love to see SoH have something like them later on.

Another powerset I'd love is illusion control. I always enjoy the idea of toying with my enemies' minds and their perception of reality to defeat them - tricking them into thinking they've been heavily wounded, or that their allies have turned on them, or making them see terrifying creatures that aren't there... I thoroughly enjoyed the Illusions powerset in CoX; my second highest level character was an Illusions/Time Controller.

One more powerset I'd like to see is demon summoning (for Commanders, of course). I had an idea for a Demons/Pain Mastermind some time after CoX shut down, and I've been itching to create and play such a character ever since.

Flagwaver

Postby Flagwaver » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:18 pm

Another powerset I'd love is illusion control. I always enjoy the idea of toying with my enemies' minds and their perception of reality to defeat them - tricking them into thinking they've been heavily wounded, or that their allies have turned on them, or making them see terrifying creatures that aren't there... I thoroughly enjoyed the Illusions powerset in CoX; my second highest level character was an Illusions/Time Controller.
I used to run with 3 illusionists. We were able to Mez Ghost Widow into killing the other three AVs during the Statesman on more than one occasion. Afterwards, our various light minions kicked her butt without her doing a thing about it.
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

A bullet may have a name on it, but 20 pounds of C4 is more of a "to whom it may concern."

suemccartin

Postby suemccartin » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:14 am

I have NEVER played another mmo with a healer power set anywhere near as good as the empaths in COH, the AOE heal the easily targetable single heal and the superduper emergency heal that left the caster vulnerable for a bit because they could not heal themselves...hell there is just nothing like it in any other game I've played. I truly hope they duplicate the emp set here and do NOT forget the Teleport Friend!!!! How many times did I save somebody's butt who died in the middle of a hairball of badguys or literally right at the feet of the boss. The rad set had a decent aoe heal but nothing like the empath, that power that let you explode a dead comrade for some good damage was fun too but I guess I love my first toon the most my empath pyschic. I hope we get two powersets in here too at some point.

Second favorite was the Kinetic, the lifesteal and later energy/mana whatever you want to call it was amazing at least for the melee if the team was too far away from the target they got no heals off it, can't tell you how many times I drained a few minor bosses far enough they couldn't cast their nastier spells.

Third would probably be mastermind when it finally became available blue side. My sg started red side on pinnacle but pretty much abandoned that bunch but we didn't erase them in case we got bored. Of all the masterminds I think the bots were the most fun, the zombies were ok especially once you got the lich but they were so squishy they were like the red shirts from star trek nothing but cannon fodder, lol.

The only power in the teleport set that was worth a damn was teleport friend. As a travel power it was useless, the team teleport was pretty useless too never put any points in it. So I guess you'd say that two out of three powers in the teleport set are not missed. I never really played melee only had one regen scrapper but she was fun when the supergroup wanted to run all scrapper teams. I had a claw scrapper red side and brought her to blue when we got that opportunity, ahh prefer my emp to all.

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:08 am

Teleport as a travel power had the potential to stink it up, being too involved and easily messed up, but it was very fast. Once I realized that if you have Hover turned on it is SO MUCH EASIER TO USE... Teleport Foe was a really handy power if you did not have a tank on your team, allowing you to pick individual bad guys to kill without drawing a crowd, although this became less and less useful the more your team leveled up. Any of my characters that had a rez, or invisibility, had Recall Friend. Most of the guys that used Team Teleport were using it to haul their pets around, although once Controllers had limits on how many pets they could have out, and MMs could spawn a full team very quickly, Team Teleport fell out of favor. They should have replaced that power sometime after Issue 7.

While it had its problems, it is hard for me to say the Teleport pool stunk it up bad enough to be the worst pool around. I think that goes to the Presence pool after they fixed Taunt and added Gauntlet. They should have completely remade that set into something more useful, maybe adding a low level group hold or group stun.
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

Return to “General Discussion”