Release date?

Dragonfire

Release date?

Postby Dragonfire » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:26 pm

So, when will this game be released?

And which power sets will we get on launch?

How many people are working on this game?

I'm hoping this will have more development than what I've seen so far at Heroes and Villains - they're very responsive and open to ideas, but I haven't seen an alpha or a beta in the six years I've been on their forums.

Golden Ace

Re: Release date?

Postby Golden Ace » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:47 pm

So, when will this game be released?

And which power sets will we get on launch?

How many people are working on this game?

I'm hoping this will have more development than what I've seen so far at Heroes and Villains - they're very responsive and open to ideas, but I haven't seen an alpha or a beta in the six years I've been on their forums.
We are currelty looking at the end of next year. the date is to be determined. I am hoping for November 30th. pie in the sky is July 4th

this is the main team
https://www.shipofheroes.com/development-team/

however I believe Casey occasionally hires people for side projects

Heroes and villains....

Ship of Heroes is not Heroes and Villains. We have an actual game with dev's that are very open and let us know what is going on. things get delayed sometimes but Casey does his best to keep things on schedule.

we will have an open paid beta at the end of the year. anyone can join it if you pay the subscription fee. which I believe will be $15

all are welcome

Glad you found the ship Dragonfire. Welcome
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

Blaze Rocker

Postby Blaze Rocker » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:48 pm

Dragonfire
Dragonfire, don't expect anything from Golden Girl and that farce she calls a game development studio. For two years I tried my damnedest to get her to move things along and get something done. She talks a lot and shows almost nothing, because that's what she is really doing ... nothing. She has had over five and a half years and she can't even move into a pre-alpha state. Things that should have been decided upon within the first year still haven't been finalized. GG has nothing and will produce nothing on her own.
If you would like to get a better understanding of what I'm talking about I invite you to read one of my earliest posts from when I finally ditched that delusion of a game studio and came here to the SoH community. https://www.shipofheroes.com/forums/vie ... =330#p7837
When you defund the police, the terrorists win.

Solari

Postby Solari » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:01 am

Dragonfire
Dragonfire, don't expect anything from Golden Girl and that farce she calls a game development studio. For two years I tried my damnedest to get her to move things along and get something done. She talks a lot and shows almost nothing, because that's what she is really doing ... nothing. She has had over five and a half years and she can't even move into a pre-alpha state. Things that should have been decided upon within the first year still haven't been finalized. GG has nothing and will produce nothing on her own.
If you would like to get a better understanding of what I'm talking about I invite you to read one of my earliest posts from when I finally ditched that delusion of a game studio and came here to the SoH community. https://www.shipofheroes.com/forums/vie ... =330#p7837
What amazes me is that there aren't even screenshots or videos of the developers testing systems in H&V. Are the team a bunch of Walter Mitty types or something? I can't think of any reason why they can't post any in-game shots after all this time. H&V and Redside cannot be taken seriously, IMO.

Dragonfire

Postby Dragonfire » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:46 pm

I'm liking this game as it looks like it builds on CoH and adds more to it that I always wanted there, and it improves the graphics quite a bit. My only real issue is I wish it weren't a spaceship, but a city on earth, so I could recreate the feel of CoH/V a lot more. I mean, I can just ignore that part of it, and ignore that it's in the 22nd or so century, but one of the core aspects of CoH/V was that it was present day in a real city. I understand that you want to do your own thing with SoH, it's just I wish there were a simple, earth-bound, superhero/villain-populated city to fly/jump/speed-run through as a hero. That's why I'm attracted to HaV, is that it's based in a city, not a spaceship, but in the three years I've been on that board, contributing, I've not seen actual development progress, just a few renders.

That aside, I am looking forward to actually playing this game, recreating my heroes and villains from CoH/V, and exploring.

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:57 pm

Many did feel as you do, but SoH will remain a ship while flying through space representing the Human Federation just about 500 years in the future. and frankly you will get used to it. you might not come to love it but you will get used to it. :D

It's better to accept the things you cannot change, have the courage to change the things you can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

or perhaps you can create or join the "Round Earth Society" a Super Group for heroes who refuse to believe that they are on a space ship but rather in some sort of large social experiment where the unseen powers that be are trying to convince you you are not on earth any longer by showing you space scenes on the large monitors around the outer wall and occasionally letting you visit "alien" planets.
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

Solari

Postby Solari » Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:44 am

or perhaps you can create or join the "Round Earth Society" a Super Group for heroes who refuse to believe that they are on a space ship but rather in some sort of large social experiment where the unseen powers that be are trying to convince you you are not on earth any longer by showing you space scenes on the large monitors around the outer wall and occasionally letting you visit "alien" planets.
LOL, made me think of Ascension. Shame it was cancelled. :D

Warhead

Postby Warhead » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:17 am

Dragonfire
It is disappointing. When I first came across their site last year, the concept art really impressed me. Then I saw the couple of character animation videos and thought, "This could really be great" But then I never saw anything more. She puts a weekly post to say what the team has been doing which really doesn't say anything. After six years, you would think there would be something, even rough tests they could show.

Blaze Rocker

Postby Blaze Rocker » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:21 am

What amazes me is that there aren't even screenshots or videos of the developers testing systems in H&V. Are the team a bunch of Walter Mitty types or something? I can't think of any reason why they can't post any in-game shots after all this time. H&V and Redside cannot be taken seriously, IMO.
Virtually no screenshots of a running game engine showing off anything of an in-game environment exist of their progress. There exist a few videos showing off animation tests but the last of those posted are well over a year old if I'm not mistaken.
I still read the weekly updates just to see if GG ever decides to actually become passionate about what she calls a "game project" and finally start producing something with all that she has. It still looks like it's just her and Thazager and maybe one other person. Seems they are content with just the three of them, not realizing that just three people won't get a game of H&V's original scope done in any meaningful amount of time.
It is disappointing. When I first came across their site last year, the concept art really impressed me. Then I saw the couple of character animation videos and thought, "This could really be great" But then I never saw anything more. She puts a weekly post to say what the team has been doing which really doesn't say anything. After six years, you would think there would be something, even rough tests they could show.
Concept art seems to be the one thing they will show off consistently. GG will post character pics and concept art of what they want parts of the city to look like, but that's it.

Golden Girl talks a lot about what they they've done, "structure" and sometimes "content" -wise, but they show nothing. Talking about structures and what you have on paper is virtually worthless. I've been working on my own comic book-type story since February and there's tons of stuff about characters and the structure I intend for the initial story and beyond "on paper", but with nothing complete to actually show that I've done work on the story as a whole I can't really say that I'm really making what I say I'm making. There is no real proof that it will become what is in my head because everything is all just structure and notes for eventual writing that I haven't actually started on yet. Until I show some paragraphs and artwork it is all just a bunch of imaginative talk and nothing more. Maybe I'll get all the structure finalized and finish it to some degree of completion, maybe I'll get tired of the idea and not do anything with what I have. - This is exactly the state 'Heroes and Villains' is in based on what GG has posted. She has everything she needs to get started but has done nothing with it all.

Everything that needs to get done, to make what they have actually resemble a game, isn't getting done. They won't seek out qualified help that can enable them to get their content into even a pre-alpha state, and until they do all you can expect from them is more of what they've shown over the last five and a half years: a whole lot of almost nothing.
When you defund the police, the terrorists win.

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:47 am

Many did feel as you do, but SoH will remain a ship while flying through space representing the Human Federation just about 500 years in the future. and frankly you will get used to it. you might not come to love it but you will get used to it. :D
I will add a point or two to this. CoH had the Shadow Shard, which was more of a Dormammu type mystic world than space. But this taught them two lessons;
If you make a world huge and don't fill it with stuff, it won't take long before people quit showing up to it, as it gets too boring
If you don't put in a fair amount of variety, a potential show stealer just gets tedious.

With those lessons, CoH was going to create a world in space. Issue 24 was going to be a almost completely new game based in space. But the issue was based on an asteroid. It wasn't going to be overwhelmingly huge like the Shadow Shard. Also, they had about 4 new bad guy types to fight, with the potential to add many more new races and species within the lore of the world within the asteroid.

This is the legacy that Ship of Heroes is building on. We will start with a solid world full of adventure and interesting things to do and fight. But they can enlarge the world organically and with method, fitting well within the lore that the ship is based in. And, when planetfalls start happening, the sky is the limit! Just like with the original Star Trek series, every new episode brought fantastic things to do and strange new bad guys to fight. You won't get a new episode every week, but when we do, I expect players will be filled with awe and amazement!
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

Warhead

Postby Warhead » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:52 am

Actually, this was kind of one of my areas of concern when I read it was set in space. It would seem that there would be more pressure to develop different species. If you are in space, you are going to run into different aliens. I would expect to see more than just one or 2 types of aliens. If set on Earth, you can have one or 2 invading space species. But the idea of going off ship does keep me hopeful that we will see this variety.

Warhead

Postby Warhead » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:55 am

Back on the subject of H&V, I'm not sure if I read this somewhere but I think it was mentioned in a forum somewhere. Was GG's team originally part of the CoT team but split off because they had some creative differences?

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:18 pm

Back on the subject of H&V, I'm not sure if I read this somewhere but I think it was mentioned in a forum somewhere. Was GG's team originally part of the CoT team but split off because they had some creative differences?
That is what I heard as well. However, I also heard that CoT was going to be set up to work with a console controller, something the CoT team vehemently denies. So, while it seems plausible, I find it hard to believe that H&V would have split off after it became obvious that CoT would have a successful Kickstarter.

sunphoenix

Postby sunphoenix » Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:48 pm

Ok.. so how do I get to the character creator or purchase the download to begin playing?

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:50 pm

Patience... The supporters beta starts sometime between late December 2018 and Feb 2019. If you are willing to pay a sub fee (not sure what it will be, but probably close to $15) you can jump in and play. The money will be used to finish the game, which will probably be a lot of polishing, finishing powersets and building missions. But there won't be anything to play until then, other than some short alpha tests. Alpha test slots go to contributors, either donators or contributors on the forums, or better yet, both! And, keep in mind these are SHORT alpha tests. Maybe they want to test a certain powerset they finished improving, and you will be in a team that all are using the same powersets. Or it may be testing the random mission generator.

The first consistent play time will be when the supporter beta starts around the end of the year/ beginning of next year.

Return to “General Discussion”