Character Bio Length

Taivas

Character Bio Length

Postby Taivas » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:52 pm

So, as I'm sure is the case with most of us, I love writing long and descriptive bios for my toons. I was pretty happy with how much space they gave us to work with in CoH, and CO likewise. However, I did find that I would often have to shorten some of my bios so they'd fit in the box. Another thing I did a lot was making sure I used every last bit of space available.

Are we going to get an adequate amount of text space to go berserk with our characters' backstories? I feel like CoH had enough room but if we were given even more, I'd be excited. Is there some kind of technical limit or is it possible to have a huge chapter of text? I can only assume it's not technically difficult to implement but I'd be interested to know!

GladDog

Re: Character Bio Length

Postby GladDog » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:21 pm

I love to write (wish I made money doing it), so extra space for my character bios would be awesome!
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

Penniguin

Postby Penniguin » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:58 pm

I have started to carry a small notebook with me to write down all my Penni Population toons and their stories. I can't wait!
I am gonna need to stop for coffee before we head out for the battle. 8-)

Flagwaver

Postby Flagwaver » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:03 pm

If the section isn't long enough for my character bio, then I'll just provide a link to my fanfic page. I wrote one for my Republic Trooper (went from a paragraph to a short story to a novella to a novel to a full trilogy) and one for my Arc Hunter in Defiance, so I wouldn't mind doing the same for this character. Either way, it will be heroic.
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

A bullet may have a name on it, but 20 pounds of C4 is more of a "to whom it may concern."

Penniguin

Postby Penniguin » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:00 pm

Lol Flagwaver. Should I go get some more memory for my computer so I can read your bio's? ;)
I am gonna need to stop for coffee before we head out for the battle. 8-)

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:34 am

We try to be transparent even when the news is not good -- so I have to admit no file size for the character bios has been established. But it sounds like we have a group here with an opinion about what it should be.

Flagwaver, maybe a quick summary of the character, plus the link? I'm just thinking out load...what happens if 20 players see your character and try to download your three novels...what does that do to the server?

lunawisp

Postby lunawisp » Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:44 am

I'd just like to be able to actually have a bio! Very few games these days even allow you space to write one.
lunawisp was my Peacebringer in City of Heroes - she lives on in memory as my gaming id.
https://www.heroesin.space/ - A Blog About Super Heroes and Spaceships

JestersGhost

Postby JestersGhost » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:52 am

I'm pretty sure three novels worth of bio is too much :)

Having an external link option though is nice - doesn't have to be hosted on your own servers...ugh, though that's just asking for spam and abuse :/ This is why we can't have nice stuff.

I guess people can always put links in their bios regardless. If people take the time to copy&paste, well, they should take the time to check what it is they're pasting :)

A little more space than CoH had would be nice, but I don't think it needs to be much. Maybe basic markdown or similar support? Just an idea.
[ quantum sufficit / casual-tempest.net / My Combat Mechanics Thread ]

Flagwaver

Postby Flagwaver » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:43 am

Flagwaver, maybe a quick summary of the character, plus the link? I'm just thinking out load...what happens if 20 players see your character and try to download your three novels...what does that do to the server?
In my defense, I only ever wrote a paragraph or two for my bio in CoX and DDO (I think the longest was three paragraphs long for my Tanker). In SWTOR, my three novels were posted on fanfic.net. I would never kill a server by posting more than a couple paragraphs as a bio.

On top of that, my trilogy wasn't so much a bio but a full backstory for the Republic Trooper class from his first duty assignment leading up to being assigned to Havoc Squad.
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

A bullet may have a name on it, but 20 pounds of C4 is more of a "to whom it may concern."

Return to “General Discussion”