Friendly Fire?

Gilbegger

Friendly Fire?

Postby Gilbegger » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:30 am

I was thinking...and I'm sorry if this has been discussed before...about mission difficulty and the ability to set it to different levels.

What about enabling "friendly fire"?

I know , at least for me, part of the "ho hum" boredom issue is just mindlessly clicking and selecting powers.

But....paying attention to what target you have selected may add a bit of excitement. And again...if this would be possible it would only be selected in a "mission difficulty" option.

Just thinking... :?:

Consultant

Re: Friendly Fire?

Postby Consultant » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:37 am

It might be possible as a special situation. But it's not something that most missions would be designed around. It changes the dynamic quite a bit in combat.

But we try to never say never. :)

Warhead

Postby Warhead » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:00 am

That definitely adds a degree of difficulty with area of affect powers.

lunawisp

Postby lunawisp » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:27 am

That definitely adds a degree of difficulty with area of affect powers.
Makes them almost completely useless other than for healing... Bit more lifelike I suppose, after all you don't go chucking grenades about when fighting in close quarters, but it doesn't make for a very nice gaming experience - in my most humble opinion...
lunawisp was my Peacebringer in City of Heroes - she lives on in memory as my gaming id.
https://www.heroesin.space/ - A Blog About Super Heroes and Spaceships

Gilbegger

Postby Gilbegger » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:08 am

I was just thinking about the early version of the game....where content is limited and we are waiting for the things to come. Having a mission with this option available would spice it up a bit.

I honestly think that is why endgame is boring to me...and that I enjoy leveling the most. By the end you have the "best rotation" down and it is rinse and repeat. Enter room....cast "power A"...cast "power B" go to next room and repeat. Obtaining new shiny powers and finding out where they are useful is part of the fun for me.

I am an Alt-o-holic.

Having the option to change elements of repeatable missions around a bit would be appreciated, even if certain options were available for certain missions.

It would be interesting to know what type of missions people would tend to replay again and again.

Pyrion

Postby Pyrion » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:27 am

You would have to build your character around the idea of friendly fire. You would need single target powers and cone powers, blasts would be very situational. So if this would be an option i would like to have it as a special server ruleset, since you would need different powers to be good with that limitation. As a mission variable i think that would be more frustrating than fun.

olepi

Postby olepi » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:40 am

Perhaps it could be a debuff that high-level enemies have. Or maybe just certain encounters. Friendly fire in normal circumstances should be off, but if you were fighting boss XYZ, he might turn it on for a bit with a debuff power.
2020: 43 years on the Net.

indigowulf

Postby indigowulf » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:09 pm

I feel this would give mobs an unfair advantage, unless friendly fire was turned on for them too. Also, would aoe heals have "unfriendly fire" so if an enemy stepped into your healing aura, they get healed? and vice versa?
~indigowulf global, SG Feral Storm (future founder!)

brawlizard

Postby brawlizard » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:27 am

I feel this would give mobs an unfair advantage, unless friendly fire was turned on for them too. Also, would aoe heals have "unfriendly fire" so if an enemy stepped into your healing aura, they get healed? and vice versa?
Those are both *really* good points.
I know in eq1 early on you could totally accidentally heal a mob. And you could damage yourself (bit not other players) in certain AE spells.

Return to “General Discussion”