What was your travel power of choice, and why?

Landrymat

Re: What was your travel power of choice, and why?

Postby Landrymat » Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:48 am

Whoa. Portals sound brilliant. I mean it totally goes with being In space.

Postby Avatar PDM » Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:42 am

see :D what I have said - teleport is the coolest :P
What is Reality, what a Dream? Is the dream changing your reality or is the reality defining your dreams? Only one being aware, that awareness can never be complete can use both to become the best possible and combine both to form the future! PDM

Solari

Postby Solari » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:38 am

Sounds like fun - portals allowing you to grief other players by putting them into an endless fall :D

Vertigo Blue

Postby Vertigo Blue » Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:17 pm

Sounds like fun - portals allowing you to grief other players by putting them into an endless fall :D
:lol:

REALLY funny, and extremely annoying at the same time. Portals as a travel power, yes, but I vote no on having this affect other players as I can very easily picture myself getting stuck in said scenario and hating life. :shock: :D

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:26 pm

You guys take the fun out of everything. :(

Actually I think a portal travel power would be a lot of fun to use. It might be quicker to walk… However I would have a hell of a good time getting there with this.
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

Gisrie

Postby Gisrie » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:18 pm

For me, it was all about flying. I remember first getting hover and spending an annoyingly long time to get to the top of buildings, just to see the view. Then when I finally had the ability to fly with actual speed, there was nothing like it. Even when I play other super mmos, I always choose fly... it just feels.. right.

Postby Avatar PDM » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:38 am

yep absolutely!
For me Teleport is not just a travel power it is also a fighting power and a way of fighting in general :)

You know for one - like you mentioned: teleporting friends - and or foes where they want (or not want :twisted: ) to go is always cool
And for the own fighting style I can´t say often enough how cool it is to avoid attacks by porting away or teleporting between enemies, hitting, disappearing, appearing and hitting again :)
What is Reality, what a Dream? Is the dream changing your reality or is the reality defining your dreams? Only one being aware, that awareness can never be complete can use both to become the best possible and combine both to form the future! PDM

Vertigo Blue

Postby Vertigo Blue » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:12 pm

You know for one - like you mentioned: teleporting friends - and or foes where they want (or not want :twisted: ) to go is always cool
Ugh, I can see it now....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0TFPc7Kuck
I'm pretty sure we'll all find ourselves in that situation at some point. :shock: :lol:

But I do think portals are a neat animation option for a teleport travel power instead of simply blinking into existence here and there.

Kai

Postby Kai » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:45 pm

It was mostly character based, but my personal favorite was superspeed+teleport slotted for max range. There were some races totally won because no one believed teleport could ever be fast enough, heh.

The best part is since I got so good at teleport, when the Jackal mounts came out in GW2 everyone was flailing and I was like 'wait...this is...I so got this!'

Postby Avatar PDM » Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:58 am

It was mostly character based, but my personal favorite was superspeed+teleport slotted for max range. There were some races totally won because no one believed teleport could ever be fast enough, heh.

The best part is since I got so good at teleport, when the Jackal mounts came out in GW2 everyone was flailing and I was like 'wait...this is...I so got this!'
true at some point I got the hang of it too - so I would teleport up in the air and teleport through the air as fast as the range and power-up time made it possible - and I tell you I made sure they were maxed :D

Postby Avatar PDM » Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:02 am

Ugh, I can see it now....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0TFPc7Kuck
I'm pretty sure we'll all find ourselves in that situation at some point. :shock: :lol:

But I do think portals are a neat animation option for a teleport travel power instead of simply blinking into existence here and there.
nice animation - I really would like that too :) - like I said teleport/portals are something which would definitely be a huge plus :)

Jasix

Postby Jasix » Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:30 pm

On all but one character I had my travel powers were Super Speed and Super Jump. Generally if traversing short distances I would simple use super speed and combat jumping. I also always put a stealth proc into combat jump which with super speed provided a good level of stealth when traveling.
On one character I used Hover/Fly, But that was because that was how I envisioned that character which was an Archery/TA Corruptor.
Original backer #122.

PaperTank

Postby PaperTank » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:29 pm

I always used flight with the exception of couple characters, I enjoyed using flight. I tried using teleport and it just didn't work with my graphics capabilities so that kinda stunk.... Aside from that I enjoyed teleport as well. Genuinely one of the slower travels but flight was really fun as you could soar over an area to spot for activity (whether it is looking at people in a costume contest, really 'kiting' a friendly to a mission door, or looking for mobs to crush).
When there's nothing to be gained, rising to the challenge at those times... is surely the mark... of a true hero!!

EVERYTHING IS FINE!....WHY?......I AM HERE!!!! :D :D :D :D

Dying Breath

Postby Dying Breath » Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:30 pm

On several of my later characters, my travel power of choice was... Ninja Run supplemented with Combat Jumping - saved me a power choice, and with practice I was seldom the last person to reach a door. I don't think there was anywhere I couldn't get with just Ninja Run and Combat Jumping, although I will admit that I usually *was* last getting to the reactor in Terra Volta.

brandoncomputer

Postby brandoncomputer » Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:46 pm

Flight - I still log into icon or p-chat just to fly around sometimes. I actually scripted a version of fly in LUA for a <game> (you don't want to know what game) but it was never equal to CoH.

I loved the stability of City of Heroes flight, it's not like DCU flight, or Champ flight, or any other flight. Man I miss it, it would be really hard to get right I bet.

Superspeed was awesome too :) I played all the travel powers, but my winged demonic looking mastermind... I miss that. A lot. I didn't slot fly for that toon, but my defender was full slotted and flew like a bullet!

In retrospect, it would've been cool to have a different feel to gravity according to how good flight was, in <game> the gravity physics are really good, so depending on thrust value think 'ApplyForce' (although I don't remember the exact api) would have a different effect on fly, make if feel different because you had to overcome the gravity constant.

This could add a level of .... physics? I don't know the engine capablities of this platform though :)

[*]Where wwflight is a variable thrust value and thisx is the Forward Face X and thisy is the Foward Face Y

Code: Select all

ApplyForce(playerped, 1, thisx * wwflight,thisy * wwflight,0,0,0,0, 0, false, false, false, false, false);

Return to “General Discussion”