Please make diverse hair choices

Adman123

Please make diverse hair choices

Postby Adman123 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:11 am

As a black guy, you have no idea how annoying it is for the extent of the options for black hair being "Afro Small, Medium, Large. Cornrows. Dreads Small, Medium, Large." There are flat tops, taper fades, bald fades, and more. Here's a link to a site with a lot of examples https://menshairstylesweb.com/black-men-haircuts/18/. Just please get this right, this is often the most annoying part of the MMO experience for me, especially when games pride themselves on their level of detail to character creation.
From CoH -> to SoH :D

Consultant

Re: Please make diverse hair choices

Postby Consultant » Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:59 am

Nice link, thank you.

It currently takes us about week to get a single hair model created. And guy who does that work has some other work on his plate too. but we'll see what we can do.

Do you want to give us your view on a top ten? We have to start somewhere -- might as well be influenced by someone who has an informed opinion about the possible styles.

Turtlesandwich

Postby Turtlesandwich » Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:54 pm

Could we have a 'Blade' looking hair style?

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:17 pm

Could we have a 'Blade' looking hair style?
ImageImage

I had forgotten what it looked like. need the tattoo too.
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

All Ship of Heroes Videos

IN BLACKEST DAY, IN BRIGHTEST NIGHT,
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE.
LET THOSE WHO POST THEIR SPAM-ISH SLIGHT
FACE THE POWER OF ACE'S MIGHT!

Eulb

Postby Eulb » Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:08 am

Adman123 good call on the hair when you said ...
... Just please get this right, this is often the most annoying part of the MMO experience for me, especially when games pride themselves on their level of detail to character creation.
I agree with you there should be a vast array of choices should be build ... will a few choices be ok at launch knowing that there will be many later as the ship grows ???

Not to take the focus off the Men's hair choices ... don't forget we also need beards ( facial hair )
ohh gee ... one last note i like pony tails ( for the female toons )
Let the bright stars ahead guide your journey

Adman123

Postby Adman123 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:10 am

Nice link, thank you.

It currently takes us about week to get a single hair model created. And guy who does that work has some other work on his plate too. but we'll see what we can do.

Do you want to give us your view on a top ten? We have to start somewhere -- might as well be influenced by someone who has an informed opinion about the possible styles.
Adman123 good call on the hair when you said ...
... Just please get this right, this is often the most annoying part of the MMO experience for me, especially when games pride themselves on their level of detail to character creation.
I agree with you there should be a vast array of choices should be build ... will a few choices be ok at launch knowing that there will be many later as the ship grows ???

Not to take the focus off the Men's hair choices ... don't forget we also need beards ( facial hair )
ohh gee ... one last note i like pony tails ( for the female toons )

First off, thanks for such a quick response! It's awesome to see you guys really taking the fans opinion into consideration, and gives this game/community such a friendly and welcoming vibe (something a LOT of games are missing). I'll give a quick list of more common looks, and thanks again for even asking. And I think starting with a few and rolling out more as time passes would be fine, it's just good to know that you're being thought of when a game is designed, rather than just being tossed a few skins or two hair options as a pacifier. I want to feel that level of "hot damn, I can make anything." when it comes to those PoC designs, that's all :D

1. Flat-top(https://menshairstylesclub.com/wp-conte ... at-top.png): This look is pretty retro, but has been making a comeback in a big way.

2. Dreads w/ Fade(https://s24217.pcdn.co/wp-content/uploa ... 872a58.jpg): So this is technically a mid-fade with medium dreads, but I don't think that level of nitpickiness is necessary :lol: , it's reminiscent of the look Killmonger had in BP.

3. Braided Top Knot(https://i.pinimg.com/564x/62/21/61/6221 ... 01f822.jpg): This isn't even strictly a black hair style, and it's pretty common among the Asian and Latin communities in certain parts of the U.S.

4. Fades- Short Taper w/ waves and without(https://menhairstylesworld.com/wp-conte ... rstyle.jpg and https://i.pinimg.com/564x/b6/9e/1b/b69e ... a9aa98.jpg): These are both really common, and having these two alone would be great for any black player tbqh

5. DREADS: I know I already mentioned dreads earlier, but people don't get how diverse they are. In most MMO's dreads either make you look like a wild man or a rasta, no in between. Any of these looks qualify as dreadlocks, this being a dread lock mohawk (https://i2.wp.com/therighthairstyles.co ... C512&ssl=1), this simply being short dreads (https://i.pinimg.com/564x/a5/c5/85/a5c5 ... d558e8.jpg), and this being a dreadlock pony tail (https://i.pinimg.com/564x/42/f0/b4/42f0 ... 5137b9.jpg)

I figured ten seemed like a bunch, and honestly, these 5 or so alone would be hugely appreciated and give SoH a level of inclusivity that a lot of other games lack.

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:41 am

well done Adam. don't be surprised if you see some of those at launch or sooner.

lunawisp

Postby lunawisp » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:51 am

Don't want to derail Adman's thread (but going to anyway lol)... my requirements for hair are much simpler. If I can recreate the style in the image in various colours, but especially a nice deep shiny black, I'll be very happy!

lunawisp was my Peacebringer in City of Heroes - she lives on in memory as my gaming id.
Super Heroes in Space, a blog about heroes, space and huge ships!

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:21 am

OK, so here's something to realize. I'm thinking Adman has serious psychic powers (or it is time for him to buy a lottery ticket) because I am literally going to be making a list of reference pics for some new hair models within a week.

Really, who has timing like that? Amazing.

To be fair, everyone should get to submit the hair models they really, really want to have.

Lunawisp, your suggested female hair model goes on the list, because I like it too. :)

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:45 am

OK, so here's something to realize. I'm thinking Adman has serious psychic powers (or it is time for him to buy a lottery ticket) because I am literally going to be making a list of reference pics for some new hair models within a week.

To be fair, everyone should get to submit the hair models they really, really want to have.

Lunawisp, your suggested female hair model goes on the list, because I like it too. :)
Someone just won the big 500 million over the weekend. Adman? just to let you know if you do win the big one your obligation is to fund SoH so we can get it out sooner. We'll name a street after you.

Turtlesandwich

Postby Turtlesandwich » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:48 pm

Blade Blade Blade
He was the Man.

Adman123

Postby Adman123 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:33 pm

well done Adam. don't be surprised if you see some of those at launch or sooner.
Awesome, thanks a lot again for hearing me out!
Don't want to derail Adman's thread (but going to anyway lol)... my requirements for hair are much simpler. If I can recreate the style in the image in various colours, but especially a nice deep shiny black, I'll be very happy!

It's no problem, it's all about inclusion! Love that look by the way.

Someone just won the big 500 million over the weekend. Adman? just to let you know if you do win the big one your obligation is to fund SoH so we can get it out sooner. We'll name a street after you.
If I win it's all yours, guys! :lol:

Return to “General Discussion”