The best task force/trials in COH

TheAmazingFezz

Re: The best task force/trials in COH

Postby TheAmazingFezz » Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:25 pm

What do you guys think about Hamidon?

I've already said that I think every game needs at least one big world boss, and I think Hamidon was one of the better ones from any game that I've seen. It was very well designed and couldn't really be trolled.

Agree/disagree?

Should ALL big baddies be instanced?

Strife3

Postby Strife3 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:06 pm

Each Task Force was good in its own way, afew were too short in my eyes but I liked alot of them, I did all the Task Forces and Trials on both sides. I ended up changing all my villians to Heroes But my top 5 have to be.....

5: Eden Trial
4: Steel Canon Trial
3: Skyway Trial
2: Brickstown trial
1: Terra Volta - Respec Trial

I enjoyed all the level trials. on Justice i was part of two groups who did the level 50 trials in fast time.

I loved doing the respec trial solo on my fire tank. i had people stand at the door and idle while i soloed it.
I use to enjoy doing trials on different characters. One of the most fun things was running around in the eden trial in the final room gathering up all the mobs to kill them.

DomiDayglow

Postby DomiDayglow » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:01 pm

ITF was fun because there were so many ways to do it. You could have competition between friends for fastest speed run through it. You could just 'steamroll' everything. You could even increase the difficult and squish all that moved. It also didn't punish people without mez protection so much as very few opponents had mezzes. I think the cyclops handclaps was one of the only ones. Though that had more to do with the enenmy group. The romans there had tactics in a way. You had to watch out for the surgeon healers. Some cast vengeance, so you had to be sure to squish them first. You had the cyclops handclap mezzers to a degree too. It was okay to ignore one or two, but the high numbers of enemies meant that it was still possible to be overwhelmed.

I also liked the Rikti Warzone and the Lady Grey taskforce. It had a neat little story tied along with the zone itself and a variety of maps, if I remember right. It seems like I recall the first few missions involved outdoor settings with Malta, but I might be mistaken. Then it moved underground at the end to Rikti bases. Plus, mothership raids were fun.

Eulb

Postby Eulb » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:16 pm

the one TF that i enjoyed was " Impervious " it was fun , but after a while I got on a " pug" and ... that group jumped all the way to the end to just bet " Impervious " and all the goodies from the finish... Soo :(

I them started to notice that a "Kill Kill Kill" attitude was creeping into the game Soo :( I think from all the F2P peeps ... I think :cry:
Let the bright stars ahead guide your journey

TheAmazingFezz

Postby TheAmazingFezz » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:00 pm

One of the things that limited some of the 'fun' of a TF for me was that only the team leader was exposed to the story (if I remember correctly). The leader (or maybe it was the person who talked to the contacts) was given the prose while the rest of the group was just given the mission objective: "arrest 30 Skulls".

It would be more fun (for me) if all group members were exposed to every bit of the story so that TF's didn't feel so much like a rapidly fired series of normal missions. I remember the Ernesto Hess TF especially had such an awesome story and build-up that made the actual missions feel greater than the sum of their parts. It was always more immersive (fun) to be the leader than it was to be the rounded-up hero-for-hire, especially if you'd never done the TF before. It would be nice if SOH was able to overcome this limitation.

Eulb

Postby Eulb » Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:37 pm

AmazingFezz ty for you words ...
....It would be more fun (for me) if all group members were exposed to every bit of the story ...
I whole heartily agree with your thought the whole team should be exposed ...

When I found out about voice chat and got TS I would give out the address and offer each member of the team to join voice chat ...
then after we finished building a team i would request that each team member take the opportunity to exercise there acting ability and read the coming contacts in the coming TF ...
just to help form a more fun adventuring when all the team members participated ... :)
Let the bright stars ahead guide your journey

Blaze Rocker

Postby Blaze Rocker » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:54 pm

I'm not sure I ever had a favorite but I believe my least favorite was the Synapse TF. Outside of the physical difficulty it was the worst because of all the endurance drain from the Clockwork attacks.

Anyone can argue what the best was and nobody would be wrong, but in my opinion the 'Death From Below' sewer trial was the best. I say this because it got new players experienced in teaming-up early and provided a trial-like feel and experience that you didn't get from most missions prior to the first available task force. It was fun, provided a good challenge for its low level range, didn't piss you off with its enemies and their overwhelming debilitating effects and encouraged teaming.
It's just my opinion, but Death From Below was the best. :)
Time to let Ol' Painless out of the bag.

Solari

Postby Solari » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:04 am

Well all I can say is that looking at the current mission maps video, it looks like there's a setting just about ready for a Terra-Volta style trial. I'm sure that can't be a coincidence. ;)

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:04 am

Well all I can say is that looking at the current mission maps video, it looks like there's a setting just about ready for a Terra-Volta style trial. I'm sure that can't be a coincidence. ;)
Terra-Volta was one of my favorites.
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

All Ship of Heroes Videos

IN BLACKEST DAY, IN BRIGHTEST NIGHT,
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE.
LET THOSE WHO POST THEIR SPAM-ISH SLIGHT
FACE THE POWER OF ACE'S MIGHT!

Postby Avatar PDM » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:54 am

I too agree with abovementioned.
It should be possible for all the included players to share the storyline fun
What is Reality, what a Dream? Is the dream changing your reality or is the reality defining your dreams? Only one being aware, that awareness can never be complete can use both to become the best possible and combine both to form the future! PDM

Solari

Postby Solari » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:00 am

Yeah, a chat tab for "Story" would be good - all contact dialogue can be broadcast to the group through that channel?

Postby Avatar PDM » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:58 am

Yeah, a chat tab for "Story" would be good - all contact dialogue can be broadcast to the group through that channel?
sounds like a plan :)
What is Reality, what a Dream? Is the dream changing your reality or is the reality defining your dreams? Only one being aware, that awareness can never be complete can use both to become the best possible and combine both to form the future! PDM

JestersGhost

Postby JestersGhost » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:21 am

I probably played the ITF most of any. Good variety in missions and enemy types meant it never felt repetitive.

The Hess TF was probably the coolest from a story/scenario point of view - a final fight around a giant robot in a volcano...I mean, could you get any more supervillain than that?

Funny story - first time I did the respec trial was on a regen scrapper, before IH was a click power. I didn't even realise there was a damage field or that there were protection belts :)
[ quantum sufficit / casual-tempest.net / My Combat Mechanics Thread ]

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:45 am

Hahaha.

First time for me I got the belt because everyone kept repeating “make sure you get a belt”. I never even noticed when it expired. I hadn’t realized that they did.
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

All Ship of Heroes Videos

IN BLACKEST DAY, IN BRIGHTEST NIGHT,
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE.
LET THOSE WHO POST THEIR SPAM-ISH SLIGHT
FACE THE POWER OF ACE'S MIGHT!

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:52 am

There is definitely a Terra Volta kind of flavor going on in some of the maps. One of our designers likes that TF too. :)

I loved them all, but I kind of came back again and again to the ITF, personally.

And we discussed our ideas of invasions...and we are going beyond what COH had in this regard as well.

And we have ideas for repeatable missions, with harder content. Almost mini-TFs.

And we have some others to talk about in the future. :)

Return to “General Discussion”