We are Heros

Prime

We are Heros

Postby Prime » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:26 am

We are heroes, one thing that I noticed in the Alpha Testing is that the "Heroes" where killing their combatants. Shouldn't they be defeating them instead? Just a thought.

Phantom Mouse

Re: We are Heros

Postby Phantom Mouse » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:07 pm

Graphically, what would be the difference between a defeated foe and a killed foe? Both would lie motionless on the floor. In CoX there were people that referred saying they killed the mobs instead of defeating them. I always said I was defeating them instead of killing them.

I agree with you that super heroes shouldn't be killing.

lunawisp

Postby lunawisp » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:20 pm

it's just a play on words isn't it? They're nearly all aliens and robots anyway. Even Star Trek killed aliens till the PC brigade took over the last few series and made (faux) friends with everything except the BORG.
lunawisp was my Peacebringer in City of Heroes - she lives on in memory as my gaming id.
https://www.heroesin.space/ - A Blog About Super Heroes and Spaceships

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:08 pm

it's just a play on words isn't it? They're nearly all aliens and robots anyway. Even Star Trek killed aliens till the PC brigade took over the last few series and made (faux) friends with everything except the BORG.
Star Trek reference For The Win!

it's up to the individual on how they defeat the enemy. I remember a cartoon years ago about this.

Basically it went

"What?? you just killed that guy"
"Yep, what's the problem?"
"You're a hero, heroes don't kill!"
"Killing is more merciful, how did you defeat your guy?"
"With my fire powers"
"So you basically burned him until he could no longer stand the pain and passed out from it. Now' he'll spend years with the intensive burn unit, getting skin grafts, plastic surgery, and rehabilitation all the while he will be in intense pain. but good job, you didn't kill him."
"ah yeah..."

something like that.
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

Blaze Rocker

Postby Blaze Rocker » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:13 pm

Golden Ace

I remember a cartoon years ago about this.

Basically it went

"What?? you just killed that guy"
"Yep, what's the problem?"
"You're a hero, heroes don't kill!"
"Killing is more merciful, how did you defeat your guy?"
"With my fire powers"
"So you basically burned him until he could no longer stand the pain and passed out from it. Now' he'll spend years with the intensive burn unit, getting skin grafts, plastic surgery, and rehabilitation all the while he will be in intense pain. but good job, you didn't kill him."
"ah yeah..."

something like that.
I like that, mostly because it's very true. Although killing is a hard thing to do, and is frowned upon by society, you have to look at the consequences.

Michael Keaton's Batman wasn't afraid to kill if he believed the situation called for it, if the killing was unavoidable or was warranted. This is about what I feel Batman should exist as.
The animated works of Batman since the 90s, mostly involving Kevin Conroy, won't let Batman kill criminals or allow them to die even if it is warranted because of Batman's code of honor - or whatever it's called. This carried over into the Christian Bale movies with a few minor exceptions here and there. It's a noble thing, sure, but when you look at versions of Batman where he is older, such as Peter Weller's in 'The Dark Knight Returns', we see the results of letting villains live over and over again. The villains's murderous ways rarely changed and each time they had an opportunity to kill again they took it and either felt no remorse or took great pleasure in doing so. The "hero Batman" followed his code to satisfy society, yet society failed to execute these villains that felt no remorse for their crimes and they were allowed to continue on. In some cases Batman ended up regretting not killing these villains (mostly the Joker) because doing so would have prevented them from taking more lives in the future. Batman's code of not taking life resulted in more innocent lives being lost and it ate at him for all of his days.

I think it's great whenever the consequences of actions are thoroughly examined and addressed. Perhaps it would even be worthwhile to include something like this in SoH where the option to kill exists but you can decide whether to do it or not; for personal reasons, societal reasons or both.
I like the example above.
- Would you kill a villain quickly, thus ensuring they can't live to harm anyone else, or would you leave them painfully disfigured so that their hatred of you builds and builds all the while they plan out the perfect opportunity to get their revenge upon you, your friends, your family or just the citizens you've sworn to protect and serve?
When you defund the police, the terrorists win.

Blue Yankee

Postby Blue Yankee » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:26 pm

We are heroes, one thing that I noticed in the Alpha Testing is that the "Heroes" where killing their combatants. Shouldn't they be defeating them instead? Just a thought.
I always find it funny how McCarthy era scrutiny still influences comics today.
I prefer a comic world where heroes don't kill. If you find the idea of heroes not killing villains implausible, remember that this is a world where people can fly and shoot fireballs from their hands.

Red5

Postby Red5 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:51 pm

my 2 cents...

I am there with you, by today's standards it most certainly should be "defeated". However the game exist in 2487, and perhaps a kill is not only morale but also just.

Imagine how much has changed since I have been alive in a short window of time.... Fossils didn't exist by the majority of belief, and what was a fossil was simply the Devil's trickery. Fast forward 40 years and most those same groups now, not only believe in fossils but also have creation museums.

That was around 40 years, now imagine how much things change in 400+ years.
...reporting in.

Solari

Postby Solari » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:04 am

Graphically, what would be the difference between a defeated foe and a killed foe? Both would lie motionless on the floor. In CoX there were people that referred saying they killed the mobs instead of defeating them. I always said I was defeating them instead of killing them.

I agree with you that super heroes shouldn't be killing.
Go. Hunt. Kill Skuls.

Return to “General Discussion”