A couple lil ideas

AxerJ

A couple lil ideas

Postby AxerJ » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:49 pm

Hey all, I just wanted to share a couple of ideas I think are fairly cool to see what you think.

1 - Targeting up to 2 players to heal

I was wondering if, to add a little more variety to the healer's gameplay, some (or one?) of their abilities could target TWO teammates. This would be apart from the general "group heal" ability they probably have. I'm thinking of this power utilizing the "green beam" graphic of the healing powerset we've seen so far - a healer could hold out BOTH arms and shoot green healing beams at two teammates simultaneously. I haven't really seen this kind of simple thing before in an MMO, but it seems like it could work well in this setting and add something fairly interesting.

2 - Continuous power beam shooting graphic if the power can be reactivated immediately

I'm thinking specifically of Darkness Ray. It has no cooldown beyond the cast time, so it can be immediately reactivated. It's a single beam. So could the graphic be edited to possibly stream the beam continuously if it's immediately reactivated? Maybe it could be pressed again before its cooldown to put it in a "queue" so the game knows to continue the beam without stopping the graphic. This occurred to me just now watching TheBottomTier's stream, because he was using the Darkness Ray continuously like 4 times in a row at one point. Instead of stopping and starting, could a power like that become just a continuous, long, awesome beam that drains our energy with every use? Could feel very cool to just shoot a power beam at an enemy for 10 seconds straight, but still have it count as 5 uses of the power energy-consumption-wise.

What do you all think? Anything feasible here you think could be implemented?

JestersGhost

Re: A couple lil ideas

Postby JestersGhost » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:24 am

1. Not sure how the targeting for that would work, but it's definitely an interesting idea. Not, the current set does have a "healing cone" which would do a similar thing.

2. There's been discussion of augments that turn powers from a one-shot into a channel, so I suspect that would be the way this would happen. You're likely to have more powers in the full game, and less likely to be using one power over and over.
[ quantum sufficit / casual-tempest.net / My Combat Mechanics Thread ]

lunawisp

Postby lunawisp » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:32 am

I've played a game which had this kind of targeting. Can't for the life of me remember which one it was now, maybe TERA or B&S? Anyway, you'd target one enemy and hit a 'lock key' to lock on then you'd shift the target to another and hit the lock key again. You could lock on to up to half a dozen enemies or team mates in that way.

It was only really useful to start fights when soloing and for boss fights. Fights against minions when grouped up would typically be over before you'd finished targeting things. I think the effect of the power was shared between the targets so the more you had targeted the less each one was hit for.
lunawisp was my Peacebringer in City of Heroes - she lives on in memory as my gaming id.
https://www.heroesin.space/ - A Blog About Super Heroes and Spaceships

AxerJ

Postby AxerJ » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:03 am

2. There's been discussion of augments that turn powers from a one-shot into a channel, so I suspect that would be the way this would happen. You're likely to have more powers in the full game, and less likely to be using one power over and over.
Thanks for responding!

I was imagining a simple continuation of the beam graphic and no substantive changes otherwise. Itd be a practical visual effect - if we chose to cast the same beam one after the other, and there was no cooldown to wait for after the first beam had ended, the graphic could simply be a continuous beam without pausing. Every iteration would still be counted energy-wise and accuracy/dmg/etc would be counted for every separate cast of the beam, but the game would show a smooth, streamlined graphic. It'd just be a cool thing and a practical visual effect before anything else. No real need to involve augments here!

And thanks lunawisp, that's a cool example of how multitargetting could potentially work! (I just liked the image of Dr. Strikewell or whoever shooting two green healing beams out of each of her hands at two different teammates)

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:16 am

These are great ideas. A cast power can be re-coded to be a channeled power, of course and allowed to run for a longer time (as long as the character has energy), assuming that the resulting effect is not broken in some way. We've also have numerous people ask if we can queue powers in advance by clicking the buttons for a couple of powers while one power is firing.

We'll have to think about that, but in the Alpha video when you see Ambassador run into a mob and launch his fire-based AOE attack, I know he can click it when he is out of range and once he enters range, it fires. Not quite the same thing, but heading in that direction.

Healing tow characters at once? Cool idea, and we very much appreciate it that you even have an idea for how the animation would look. Would the healing be half-strength? Interesting to consider...

Nephthys

Postby Nephthys » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:09 am

Vanguard had offensive and defensive targets. Your offensive target was where all the offense was directed, and the defensive target all the positive. You could put yourself as your defensive target, or someone else. This meant that if you had a leech type power you could use it to heal someone else as well as yourself. It was pretty interesting and I've not seen anything like that in any other game.

AxerJ

Postby AxerJ » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:57 pm

Thanks very much, Consultant!
Healing two characters at once? Cool idea, and we very much appreciate it that you even have an idea for how the animation would look. Would the healing be half-strength? Interesting to consider...
I was initially imagining this two-at-once heal to be its own ability on the tray. I was thinking it would just have a longer cooldown and be an extra situational power for the healer. I wonder how difficult itd be to design each arm pointing in the direction of its target? I could see that getting complicated - we'd have to say if a target is on the left 180° semicircle of the healer he'd use his left arm, and vice versa for the right arm. And Im not even sure if itd be economical to program two separate variable animations for each arm? As cool as the end result could be.
Your half-healing comment made me think that maybe this power could be a choice between an extra large heal on one with both arms or a two-target heal, one arm each, for half that value. Kind of a unique utility, if the animation could be figured out.

But I really am even more fond of the idea to continue a beam if the power gets reactivated before its former animation is finished - shooting a darkness ray for 10 seconds is very appealing! Haha. Thanks again for the reply!

Return to “General Discussion”