Red5

February 2018 Combat Alpha Highlights

Postby Red5 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:52 am

*drools
...reporting in.

lunawisp

Re: February 2018 Combat Alpha Highlights

Postby lunawisp » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:24 am

I was fortunate enough to be invited onto one of those alpha runs. It was very impressive, and a lot of fun. I made a few notes on my blog but here's the summary...
All in all, considering this was an early alpha run to get feedback from players, it was very impressive, as well as being reassuring that things are going really well. I'm looking forward to the next updates and waiting (im)patiently for the game to go live.
lunawisp was my Peacebringer in City of Heroes - she lives on in memory as my gaming id.
https://www.heroesin.space/ - A Blog About Super Heroes and Spaceships

PowerAce

Postby PowerAce » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:35 am

I would have to wholeheartedly agree, Luna. I too was lucky enough to participate in this as a supporter and I got that same old feeling during combat. It was easy to get in and while my ocd wanted to figure out the best way to cycle through abilities with the least time waiting for cool downs I still made the best of pointing and clicking powers to attack. 😃

This is the real deal. Congratulations to the entire team. This is a big milestone. I can’t wait to see and hopefully experience more! A big thank you to the team on behalf of all of the Heroes unhomed!
It doesn't matter where we come from, what we've done or suffered, or even if we make a difference. We live as though the world were as it should be, to show it what it can be.

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:04 am

it looked pretty cool, but I do have a concern, and it's probably because they were ranged units, but the ranged units didn't move around at all. they just stood there and took it. it just didn't seem realistic.

Could you have the ranged units move around a bit?

Even if's its to just go 5-10 feet in a random direction while their power is recharging. maybe throw in a melee power? I don't know.

or maybe it's because they just stand there. maybe add little movements to their standing combat. left leg back, right leg back. side step, change stance. etc.

I guess what i'm trying to say is make them a bit more animated while waiting for their power to recharge.
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

All Ship of Heroes Videos

IN BLACKEST DAY, IN BRIGHTEST NIGHT,
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE.
LET THOSE WHO POST THEIR SPAM-ISH SLIGHT
FACE THE POWER OF ACE'S MIGHT!

Dirtsleeper

Postby Dirtsleeper » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:08 pm

it looked pretty cool, but I do have a concern, and it's probably because they were ranged units, but the ranged units didn't move around at all. they just stood there and took it. it just didn't seem realistic.

Could you have the ranged units move around a bit?

Even if's its to just go 5-10 feet in a random direction while their power is recharging. maybe throw in a melee power? I don't know.

or maybe it's because they just stand there. maybe add little movements to their standing combat. left leg back, right leg back. side step, change stance. etc.

I guess what i'm trying to say is make them a bit more animated while waiting for their power to recharge.
The AI system is going to get a complete overhaul. Currently, the AI featured in the Alpha video is just place holder.
Ship of Heroes Programmer

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:11 pm

The AI system is going to get a complete overhaul. Currently, the AI featured in the Alpha video is just place holder.
Thank you Dirt! I appreciate it.
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

All Ship of Heroes Videos

IN BLACKEST DAY, IN BRIGHTEST NIGHT,
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE.
LET THOSE WHO POST THEIR SPAM-ISH SLIGHT
FACE THE POWER OF ACE'S MIGHT!

brawlizard

Postby brawlizard » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:38 pm

Man all this did is totally amp up my wanting this

I agreed with one of the commenters that meltdown's fx totally eclipsed green pants man's fx

Manchine

Postby Manchine » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:50 pm

I am overly excited to see this. I let a few City of Heroes junkies know about the video. They are impressed also.
Check out my Super hero comic at www.globaldefenseforce.net its a real comic that started out as a web comic from city of heroes.

Also check facebook out #GlobalDefenseForceBoardGame for a board game where you can make your own characters.

Healy

Postby Healy » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:45 pm

Wow!!, watched the new video and it's looking great, love the variety of powers, the different types of action the baddies have and the look is very inviting. Congrats to all for the continued progress as well as the delivery, as promised, of alpha runs including some from the community.

A couple observations that just struck me as a little odd, not complaining but just sharing my personal feedback as you have requested:

=For Mr GreenPants with his electrical powers, all the powers seemed reasonable with one exception....the lightning bolts from above seemed to be a disconnect for me, seemed light some other form of delivery from the body would make more sense, or a ball of lighting envelops the target vs just a lighting bolt. I have NO concept of what it would take to alter that, but it just looked a little weird having a tiny lightning bolt come down from above.

=For the Dr, I felt the green healing breath was a little peculiar.....if connected with a keybind that said, "hey [target] feel my fresh minty breath and regain your strength" maybe it would be funny, however it seems kind of odd to expel a virtual microbiome of germs onto the very hero you are trying to heal.... I can live with it, but if there were other options to use hand and arm motions to impart a focus of healing energy, it might be more appealing to the giver and the receiver.

I offer these as reactions and feedback without the intention of being critical to those that spend countless hours trying to get this new world to just function at this current level.

Keep charging ahead, its wonderful to see the progress you are making and honorable to be willing to share it with us along the way.

Healy

Eulb

Postby Eulb » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:45 pm

Glad Healy posted ...
A couple observations that just struck me as a little odd, not complaining but just sharing my personal feedback as you have requested:
=For Mr GreenPants with his electrical powers,
=For the Dr, I felt the green healing breath was a little peculiar.....
Keep charging ahead, its wonderful to see the progress you are making and honorable to be willing to share it with us along the way...
didn't feel that you were at all disrespectful ... I to would like the two observations you made to be stepped up just a bit so that I or the player can see the action a little better ... more lighting and bigger green healing visuals

BUT over all WOW kept up the good work...
Let the bright stars ahead guide your journey

Return to “General Discussion”