A Dev (re)Introduction

Gooch

A Dev (re)Introduction

Postby Gooch » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:35 am

Hey all, this is not my first time posting, but Consultant said that people had mentioned they might want to hear more re: introductions and a little more about us, so I'll say hi again. (I don't post more often because I'm not sure if people are interested in the backend and construction side of things.)

I work on the concept, layout and construction of the main world from the art side of things, so am a combination of concept design, 3D modeling, level layout and lighting. I've been an artist working on games for about 25 years now, and before that did set design and construction. (So I'm doing now in the virtual world what I used to do in the real world, heh.)

I am currently living in Bend, Oregon on a one-year contract. My "day job" is as a lighting artist for Sony's Bend Studios, where I'm currently working on the upcoming PS4 title "Days Gone." I hope to return to freelancing full time in the not too distant future. My main home is in the tiny town of Spring Creek, Nevada.

I was not a high level player in CoH like you guys, but I had a lot of fun in the game. My 2 favorite characters were a Dark Miasma (Defender?) and a Mastermind cyborg character with robot sidekicks. I've always liked pet classes. I also always spent an absurd amount of time creating my characters, and was a bit of an altaholic. Probably why I never got to the high levels! :lol:
I'd also like to say thank you to all of those who were standing next to the police cars and healing me whenever I would come running back with my tail tucked between my legs with a sliver of health left. Haha.

As far as what I'm doing in Ship of Heroes recently, not too long ago I finished designing and building all the buildings in the Science Park area and laying it out, and most recently did the same in the warehouse area. I'm currently working in an as-yet-unnamed area, and doing some initial experiments with look development. It's a great project to work on, and the thing I like the most about it is the concept and all of the things that we could do with the story line, and all of the directions it could go. I read in another forum somewhere that someone thought it would be too limiting to be in a spaceship. Too limiting? The spaceship is just our home base, with a universe to explore, that we're moving through. Will we beam out to visit other space-based cities? Where things have gone horribly wrong? Will we take shuttles to abandoned hostile moons that have been converted and populated? Will we one day land on other planets? Stay tuned!

When I'm not crunching away on games, I work on my own artwork as well. (I see there's an artists' board here in the forums, keep it up, artist people!)
You can see my scifi and fantasy work at Cybergooch my game-related work at Goochvision and my architectural stuff at Archiluma.

Let me know if you have any questions, I'll answer what I can!

-Gooch

Golden Ace

Re: A Dev (re)Introduction

Postby Golden Ace » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:20 am

Awesome Gooch!

Very cool stuff. thank you for sharing.

do you have a signature character for SoH? what AT is it?

Bend is nice. from the pacific North West originally. would love to go back one day.

Thanks again for the re-introduction.
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

lunawisp

Postby lunawisp » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:27 am

Thanks for posting Gooch :)

It's nice to hear from the people we're relying on to pull us out of the current MMO quagmire. Not to put any pressure on you lol

You have some astounding images on your galleries. Almost hate to say it but I'm feeling a bit jealous of your talent right now.
lunawisp was my Peacebringer in City of Heroes - she lives on in memory as my gaming id.
https://www.heroesin.space/ - A Blog About Super Heroes and Spaceships

Eulb

Postby Eulb » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:21 pm

OOOh yes the " Gooch " Thank you very much for introducing your self ... that does make me feel honored that you would take the time to do so.

You also have confirmed to me that " Heroic Games " is a company that is out to listen to the Players.

Good to know that you are very active in make'n the game and also want to play it too i feel.
Let the bright stars ahead guide your journey

Gooch

Postby Gooch » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:19 pm

Awesome Gooch!

Very cool stuff. thank you for sharing.

do you have a signature character for SoH? what AT is it?

Bend is nice. from the pacific North West originally. would love to go back one day.

Thanks again for the re-introduction.
Well the problem is that I like experimenting with all the different archetypes, but if I had to guess as to my first, it will probably be a Devastator. I've always liked ranged combat. But I also occasionally feel the need to get up close and personal, so there will be a tank in there too somewhere. :P

Yeah, the Pacific Northwest is my favorite part of the country, I hope to make it my permanent home one day!

Gooch

Postby Gooch » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:43 pm

Thanks for posting Gooch :)

It's nice to hear from the people we're relying on to pull us out of the current MMO quagmire. Not to put any pressure on you lol

You have some astounding images on your galleries. Almost hate to say it but I'm feeling a bit jealous of your talent right now.
Aw, Lunawisp don't be jealous...it's all about the journey, not competition. If it's any consolation, whenever I look at the stuff on my sites I'm disappointed, because all I see are the mistakes and the things I should have done differently. But that's a good sign, because it means we're getting better. At least that's what I keep telling myself. :mrgreen:

And I'm jealous that you live in the UK! I lived in Germany for a year, and never made it over to the UK, which I'm still kicking myself for. Always wanted to visit. Some day!

Gooch

Postby Gooch » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:47 pm

OOOh yes the " Gooch " Thank you very much for introducing your self ... that does make me feel honored that you would take the time to do so.

You also have confirmed to me that " Heroic Games " is a company that is out to listen to the Players.

Good to know that you are very active in make'n the game and also want to play it too i feel.
Oh yes, looking forward to playing for sure! Although I'll probably be thinking things like "why did I do that?" and "I'm going to have to fix that door" etc., etc. :lol:

Still, it's great fun working on a persistent world!

lunawisp

Postby lunawisp » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:51 am

Aw, Lunawisp don't be jealous...it's all about the journey, not competition. If it's any consolation, whenever I look at the stuff on my sites I'm disappointed, because all I see are the mistakes and the things I should have done differently. But that's a good sign, because it means we're getting better. At least that's what I keep telling myself. :mrgreen:

And I'm jealous that you live in the UK! I lived in Germany for a year, and never made it over to the UK, which I'm still kicking myself for. Always wanted to visit. Some day!
Hehe odd that, when I'm writing something without a deadline, I usually get it to draft then, because I don't like the look of it and can't stop fiddling about and changing odd words here and there, I put it aside for a few weeks or even a couple of months and move on to the next project. Then, when I come back to the original draft and read it, I get that "Hey, this is actually better than I remembered" feeling ;)

I lived in Germany for a while as well. I was born there because my father was in the British Army and was posted there with my mother. Haven't been back though. The UK is my home and I'm staying put. Did a lot of travelling about in the army and had enough of it!
lunawisp was my Peacebringer in City of Heroes - she lives on in memory as my gaming id.
https://www.heroesin.space/ - A Blog About Super Heroes and Spaceships

JestersGhost

Postby JestersGhost » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:09 am

Hello again Seth :)

Funny to think I probably walked past you at some point at Westwood studios when I visited, assuming you were still there when C&C: Renegade was being made.

And, nice, you did a cover for Vernor Vinge? He's one of my favourite authors. Loving the old-school cyberpunk feel of the traditional artworks. I grew up on that stuff :D
[ quantum sufficit / casual-tempest.net / My Combat Mechanics Thread ]

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:02 am

And, nice, you did a cover for Vernor Vinge? He's one of my favourite authors. Loving the old-school cyberpunk feel of the traditional artworks. I grew up on that stuff :D
I saw the cover but had not read anything from him. I need a new author. recommendation on a book or series from him?

JestersGhost

Postby JestersGhost » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:14 am

[ quantum sufficit / casual-tempest.net / My Combat Mechanics Thread ]

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:36 am

Thanks I ordered them. switched over to the US version of Amazon to do so. Didn't know it was called a basket in the UK. we call it a cart here for some reason. as soon as I saw the word basket I was like What the heck?? :D

Gooch

Postby Gooch » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:02 pm

Hello again Seth :)

Funny to think I probably walked past you at some point at Westwood studios when I visited, assuming you were still there when C&C: Renegade was being made.

JestersGhost, funny what a small world it is..I probably was there when you came through, since I worked on Renegade. I was working on Renegade 2 as well until EA pulled the plug on that title. 8(

Yeah, those covers are from way back, done in airbrush before I had a computer. Circa 1980-something.

Postby Avatar PDM » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:26 am

I also want to thank you for your work here. I definitely do like it (and that means something, since I haven´t found anything I really was happy with, since they shut down CoH in comparison with the possibilities)
(and your Colleagues who are still a little bit to shy to show themselves ;) )
it is great and gives a really special feeling of really being a part of something unique, to have such a personal contact to the creative team. I hope you never loose your touch with that stuff and the fun doing it

P.S. it would really be fun and interesting, hearing in time what you guys use, when you enter the ship ;)
What is Reality, what a Dream? Is the dream changing your reality or is the reality defining your dreams? Only one being aware, that awareness can never be complete can use both to become the best possible and combine both to form the future! PDM

Gooch

Postby Gooch » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:30 am

Hey Avatar PDM, I look forward to talking more about some of the things going on as we continue to hammer away.

Glad you're liking it so far!

Return to “Introductions”